What volume?

pauln

I do most of my listening between 10:00 pm and 1:00 am when the noise floor is low and the utility power is clean. I find that for most listening a level of about 80dB is perfectly loud and full (with my Wright SETs and LaScalas) and I don't seem to get any room loading. Sometimes I go up to about 90dB for some special records, but around 80dB seem to be perfect for most. I know this is driving the LS with microwatts and puts no duty on the Wrights. My room is 5K cubic feet + and it just sounds great to me - high ceiling, carpet, it just seems to work for me. I know the Wrights and LS could go much louder without distress but I find the moderate approach to be completley satisfying. What level do you listen to for critical listening sessions? I'm amazed at how loud 80dB really sounds - but it sounds great in my room.

Pauln

Hi Pauln,

I can say I have never listened below @95 db untill recently due to system changes,oh I got fatigued and eventually turned it down then it was right back up like a damn YO-YO.

I now power my LaScala's 2way(Altec 511b/902 combo sittin on top)with Decware monos rated at 4 watts or so.The bass bins are powered by SS.

Then I have the BagEnd sub system(2x18 passive w/dedicated SS amp).

All signals go thru a Rane active.

I can turn it up ... WOW and I do sometimes but it sounds as good at low volumes.I spend alot of time at the lower volume setting now,cant really say what spl's.The system has a special synergy for sure!

As far as listening times the best is after 10 or so.I hate it when my heating system kicks on.such a distraction.I actually shut it off the other night and woke up the next am to 60 degrees.

I really like this SET ampflication,such clarity and detail rarely harsh and the mids to die for.The bass is so integrated with the highs,tight and punchy even at low volumes,never had that before,maybe a reason I always turned it up.

The machine is doin its job!!!

Greg

I actually prefer to listen at 60-70dB or so, perhaps quieter if the noise floor allows - but I've gotta integrate a loudness EQ otherwise I miss out on average over 1/3 of the melody (depends on the song). Though lately my hearing hasn't been top notch and I've had to listen louder (me thinks it's been too much driving, or maybe my ears are just starting to age).

But usually I do "flat" listening at around 80-90dB and on occasion I'll crank it up to 110 for only one song at time. (gotta protect them ears).

I do most of my listening between 10:00 pm and 1:00 am when the noise floor is low and the utility power is clean. I find that for most listening a level of about 80dB is perfectly loud and full (with my Wright SETs and LaScalas) and I don't seem to get any room loading. Sometimes I go up to about 90dB for some special records, but around 80dB seem to be perfect for most. I know this is driving the LS with microwatts and puts no duty on the Wrights. My room is 5K cubic feet + and it just sounds great to me - high ceiling, carpet, it just seems to work for me. I know the Wrights and LS could go much louder without distress but I find the moderate approach to be completley satisfying. What level do you listen to for critical listening sessions? I'm amazed at how loud 80dB really sounds - but it sounds great in my room.

Pauln

Question: How much glass/window area do you have in your room?

Pauln

Question: How much glass/window area do you have in your room?

Interesting question! The back wall behind the speakers has three large glass windows about 4 ft wide and 7 ft tall, with matching smaller windows (4ft x 1 ft) above each of them. Wow, that's over 100 square feet of glass! These each have a thin accordion style continuous blind in front of them.

What's your theory?

I was thinking it could be a more livelier room, not that I am psychic but remember your posts of the pictures of your LaScalas. Very nice set up. No doubt your personal preference is not having music screaming out you, but perhaps the glass provides some liveliness that many forum members enjoy but don't get until there are higher dbs levels in thier rooms. I guess point is the room (as well as neighbors) plays an impact on how loud we play our music.

Using a Rat Shack Meter I have seen peaks as loud at 100dbs on my system, but it is usually like 3 times a year when I have had a few cocktails and conditions allow (wife is out or has had some drinks as well). I usually listen at about an est. (per the rat shack meter) peak C weighted 85 dbs, which feels quite loud.

hi,

with my Wright Mono 3.5s and the Cornwall Is listening mostly to jazz measured 10 feet from the speakers

with a Radio Shack digital meter max levels fast recording

late night soft 65 db

late night loud 70 to 72 db

daytime soft 70 to 75 db

daytime loud 80 to 85 db

so most of the time the Wrights are well within their parameters

rocking real loud at a party with the Forte Is and Cary SLI-80 - rock not jazz and not often 95 to 105 db

good listening

Larry

I noticed that my SPL preferences differ depending on the amp(s) used. I tend to listen to low-power SET amps at lower volume while I turn it up a bit when listening to the higher watts from digital and push/pull amps.

It varies but I prefer listening to 1-8 watt amps around 80dB and rarely get the volume above 90dB. With 20 watts and above, I tend to prefer the SPL around 85dB and can top out just above 100dB (that's LOUD for me!).

I theorize that there are "comfort levels" for the different circuits. Through high-efficiency speakers like the Khorn, lower wattage SET amps have plenty of detail, fast transients and excellent imaging at lower volume. Within their range, they can reproduce music truthfully and really bring the artists into the room. However, as the decibels approach 100dB, the signal begins to compress and the distortions become noticable.

In my experience, higher wattage amps tend to sound better in a higher range and the detail and bass response become more natural as the volume increases.

Therefore, I keep the volume lower with low-power amps to avoid compression and distortion while I turn the volume up a bit more with higher-power amps to hear more detail and bass.

Just a thought.

Basically in the same boat as most here. Late night listening session rarely hit the dizzy heights of 80dB. Depends a lot on the dynamic range of the record (oh no - not that subject again!).

Seriously - compresed stuff gets played louder - not to try to compensate for the squashed dynamics - just because I know there wont be a sudden wham that wakes the family.

Alone and "rocking out" gets to about 95 dB at my listening position - but that is probably about once per month.

Usually over 100 dB when Tony gets here - just so he can hear it.

Some decibel ratings:

0 db Threshold of hearing

30 db Whisper

40 db Buzz of mosquito

50 db Normal conversation

70 db Vacuum cleaner

100 db Subway or power mower

120 db Rock concert

130 db Jackhammer or machine gun

150 db Nearby jet plane

Depends on how many

Just kidding. Never really checked it out with a meter, but

it's normally at about 9:30 on my Scott 299 in a smaller downstairs

room, about 10 to 10:30 on the Marantz 7C with cornies in a nominally

bigger room and pretty much the same range for the other sutff I swap

in from time-to-time. Moderate levels I would say, but I have

been know to kick loose and who knows what The Twins are up to

soundwise when I'm away at work. (keep finding these silly excercise

videos in my changer)

Oh, and then there's the Conrad-Johnson PV3 which plays at about 7:30. Probably the worst volume pot ever invented.

I don't have a meter either to check, but I listen most of the time and pretty low levels. Judging from the charts provided on page 1 of this thread I would guess about 75-80 db. When I have company come over for listening, I would guess probably around 90 max.

I try to protect my hearing as much as possible. I ain't getting any younger.

The more I upgrade the more I like the volume tunred down. 90 db is getting pretty loud now. The funny thing is that I now have a lot of power and barely use it because it sounds so good at low volumes. I am probably a good candidate for SET at this point. (I use an active crossover).

Chris

Chris,

I agree and now have a SET amp,go for it,you wont go back!

Greg

Some decibel ratings:

0 db Threshold of hearing

30 db Whisper

40 db Buzz of mosquito

50 db Normal conversation

70 db Vacuum cleaner

100 db Subway or power mower

120 db Rock concert

130 db Jackhammer or machine gun

150 db Nearby jet plane

Whilst these readings are probably correct the phenomenon of apparent volume should also be taken into account. This happens where measured levels do not correlate with observations.

The mosquito that was buzzing around our bedroom the other night, for example, sounded more like 90 dB than 40, but maybe he had a mozzie-horn installed.

On a more serious note - whilst doing all the measurements with the test CD installing the sub some frequencies that appeared to be just as loud as others - if not louder - were not registering such. I do not know if this is my own personal frequency sensitivity at play or some other factors - but I have now observed it several times.