BEC - you might have them tomorrow

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, go ahead. About this A/AA deal, what's A as opposed to AA - soundwise? I'll shoot you CC info manana.

I guess, seeing as I didn't hear a difference with the loaners, I can use them as a reference to your re-caps.... [;)]

BTW, I saw the earlier offer for the free AA's that were re-capped by you. Even though I could have been the first to accept, I purposefully passed on it since you've been so helpful. I think it's good business since you've already got alot invested in helping me. Just wanted to let you know how much your presence here is appreciated.

Basically, the AA is the A with added tweeter protection. Some like the type A better and some like the AA better. Your tweeters are more at risk with the type A, but I have good news. I also sell tweeter diaphragms.

Bob Crites

I'd like to know a little more about that tweet protection. Years ago when I clipped my Marantz until I blew a Corn tweet, I had Klipsch give me a replacement and some zener diodes. Are these not stock in the Khorns?

I was also told by Born2RockU that fuses in Khorns might perform pretty much the same protection as the zeners. Is that correct?

How do I wind up blowing a tweet with in-line fuses in place?

It takes time to blow any kind of fuse because they most all work on heat. And since it takes time to generate enough heat to trigger the fuse, there are many times that you can sneak enough power by to destroy the tweeter (especially with a very fast transient).

The Type A has a 1st order tweeter filter, the Type AA has a 3rd order tweeter filter. Audibly, the K-77 runs approximately 3dB louder with the Type A network than it does with the Type AA network. PK went to a three pole filter and zeners on the K-77 because he was tired of replacing them. Blown tweeters were directly related to the abuse dished out by high power solid state users. Henceforth, this will be known as 'The Matthews Factor'. Ironically, it's the Type A that needs the tweeter protection the most -- yet doesn't have any. From a purely sonics standpoint the Type A sounds better. However, the filter is only good up to about 90dB steady state after which hardening and pinching begin to intrude. SET users or anyone who enjoy listening at low levels or in intimate type settings will enjoy the sound this filter offers the most. This also applies to the Cornwall Type B network.

The Type AA is best suited for those who enjoy live playback levels. Still, since there is nothing in the filter to cut the squawker (there is only the squawker's natural acoustic rolloff), the upper midrange and lower treble sounds rough and haggard at the higher SPLs.

The 'white caps' are wrap and fill polyester film (Mylar). There will be a marked difference in sound between these and Bob's GE polypropylene in oil motor runs -- which provide a very rich and full sound through the bass and midrange with an ever so slight 'hot' tweeter due to their very low ESR. The very expensive Hovland suffers from the same 'problem' in these filters.

At any rate, my opinion is that none of the Klipsch networks sound very refined, open or smooth at moderate to high playback levels. Regardless of the networks or parts chosen -- expect a good deal of harshness and a nice case of earbleed if you like to push the envelope.