BEC - you might have them tomorrow

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Not to worry. I will fully disclose all about your old crossovers. I am all business when it comes to testing. You could be a lawyer, live in a one-star state (Baja Arkansas) and be in the town with my ex-wife (Houston) and still I would fairly test your crossovers.

Man, I love the smell of capacitor oil in the morning.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819278842602_thumb.jpg

Here is what arrived from Jeff. Appear to be a pair of completely original Type AA networks. Notice the shiny screws in the small air core inductor. Should have been brass so as not to effect the value of the inductor. These are steel. A very common mistake by the crossover builders at Klipsch on these crossovers.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819278896592_thumb.jpg

Analysis:

This pair of original type AA crossovers test in the range I expect to see for 30 year old capacitors. A perfect capacitor would measure as a pure capacitance. No capacitor is perfect, though, and we can sum all the losses inside the capacitor and express them as value of equivalent series resistance (ESR). In a good capacitor, this value should be very low, in fact most good Polypropylene capacitors measure in the area of a few hundredths of an ohm ESR. Looking at the circuit shown above, one can sort of sum up the losses all the way from input to the tweeter and find that those losses are almost 2 ohms through the crossover. Replacing those caps with good ones would cut those losses to a value of less than .05 ohms. 1/40th of what they are now.

An interesting point is the value measured for the 13 uF caps. It is unusual for me to find those that far out on capacitance. These are both at around 12 uF, or almost 8 percent off the stated value. The caps are not marked with a tolerance spec, but that seems a bit much to me for those to have changed over the years. Perhaps they were at that value when new.

The discrepancy between the measured value of the tweeter filter inductor is caused by use of the wrong screws to hold them down to the board. This is a common mistake found on these AA crossovers. The screw is steel which becomes a core for the inductor. The screw is supposed to be brass which would not have effected the inductance value. A stainless steel screw could have also been used. That is what I always replace these steel screws with when I rebuild the crossovers.

I would recommend these crossovers be rebuilt.

Bob Crites