La Scala II

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I was mistaken about the new Cornwall crossing at 800hz. Specs are below. Now I'm not sure that I trust my recollection from the Cornwall I heard in Hope back in September. I also thought that it had a KPT*** something woofer in it as well. Perhaps Klipsch had not settled on the final specs at that point.

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
34Hz - 20 kHz ±3db

POWER HANDLING:
100w max continuous (400 w peak)

SENSITIVITY:
103 db @ 1watt/1meter

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
121 db

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
8 ohms

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
HF: 5000Hz
LF: 700Hz

TWEETER:
K-107-TI (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
K-79-T Tractrix

MIDRANGE:
K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

MID FREQUENCY HORN:
K-701 Exponential

WOOFER:
K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber composite cone

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
MDF

ENCLOSURE TYPE:
Bass reflex via front slot ports

DIMENSIONS:
35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm)

WEIGHT:
98 lbs

FINISHES:
Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer

BUILT FROM:

I know I said this in some other thread, if anyone buys a set of these, please report back to this forum.

I would like to hear them but no local dealer in the Chicago area is ever going to have a pair in as a demo.

Klipsch should work with selected dealers to loan them a pair for this purpose.

otherwise, how does one go about purchasing them. on faith I guess.

I am amazed that Klipsch chose to use the K33e which I think is an outstanding driver. Now put this with the K701. Cornwall 3?

Lots of people thought this speaker sounded unbelieveable when auditioned. Must have a serious network upgrade to make that much difference.

Let me say this. Al is really onto something with the Trachorn 600. This horn replacement in the old Cornwall with Bob's new tweeter and the ALK B will be very hard to beat. That would make it very hard for me to justify the price of the Cornwall 3.

However, the c3's woofer was moved up vertical about 6 inches and the port was shortened. That could improve the bass. The shortening of the port in my opinion will provide lower bass when plotted on my WinISD software.

I agree that it would take some pretty careful listening with specifically selected musical material to discern a sonic difference between the two.

IMO, the major significance of the change is in making it match the cosmetics of the new Khorn, which it does nicely.

Although I agree that the new Lascala sounded very good at Indy last summer I myself would have to spend some time up close and personal with them to actually say the Bass is all that much better especially at rerasonable levels in a normal size room. I mean 95% of what we listened to was movies so it really didn't give a good reference point IMHO. I was more struck by the awesome improvement in appereance then anything else. The new look makes them much easier for many to sneak into there livingroom without ending up in the dog house.

Craig

I paid $3500 for my 2004 La Scalas and could not afford the LS 2 so I timed it right. I have not seen the new ones in person but I'm not really impressed by the new look but I guess they do match the KHorns.

To pay $2000 more the bass had better be dramaticly improved almost on level with a KHorn and I really doubt that. I say just save another $2000 grand and get the KHorns.

No but they revoiced it, at least that is what they told us at Indy.

What exactly did they mean by "revoiced it"? Sounds fishy to me... Someone wanted to see technical info in this thead, let's start with what was meant by "revoiced it". So how long long til we see posts claiming that the LaScala II's got no bass?

I just received a new cartrige, (that makes four, now) so I'm off to listen to my test record (Sting - the Police - Synchronicity 2nd side with all that bass).

Pauln

Believe it or not, good speaker manufacturers realize that no design is perfect and the process of voicing is one of making the distortions sound better. There are a few ways to do it - some crossover work and some minor adjustments with the drivers.

Voicing also takes into account the kind of amplification and source material the target market will be using and accounting for common flaws in those areas too.

And of course voicing also involves trying to as best as possible timbre match across the same lineup (ie, with the khorn and heresy).

I think the new lascala2 has more bass that is also cleaner, but I don't think it went as low either....though we didn't get to hear them tucked into corners. I also had the impression that they made the woofer a notch louder relative to the other drivers too...but what I remember best is that I was seconds away from leaving the room during the demo - it was incredibly fatiguing. Though everything in that room sounded fatiguing to me. But you can read all about that in the pilgrimage threads.