Couple of basic LaScala Questions

meagain

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke - You familiar with Tim Alexander (drummer)? Do you happen to have the newer Primus DVD 'Halucinogenetics'? It's utterly amazing. It's important for me to hear all that properly & cleanly.

OK - I'm thinking it might not be the best thing, but I think I can make them work for rears/sides and also use them in another part of my house for not so intense listening. Then figure it out as I go. Maybe replace them with Cornwalls if I can find them. I have to get off the mindset that I'll live with them forever. Further, I think I could resell them down the road for what I put into them. I assume.

Jeff - You ARE going to put your khorns in that new big room - right? You're lucky to still be alive. me thinks.

Jeff - You ARE going to put your khorns in that new big room - right? You're lucky to still be alive. me thinks.

No, the Khorns stay in the drum room. If I moved them, it would be in the TV room, which is a bigger room - about 35x35. I doubt I will move them, though.

As far as "staying alive," there ain't no way that 1/4" steel sandwiched by 2 2x10's is ever moving. They use 1/4" steel in parking garages and skyscrapers. Try to stand a 1/4" thick by 8" plate up on its 1/4" side and bend it. You could park several cars on it before it would even budge.

huh...??

you mean the Head Slap , the Top end of the Kick ...at 150 hz ..

not the Meat......[;)].

Well... most drums won't be venturing much below 100hz, so the La Scala's won't be an issue there. All I'm saying is play that same album on a Cornwall and tell me what you think. There is no way it can provide the lifelike sound of a kickdrum at high volume that the La Scala can.

I have Chorus's as my rears (and I love them), and they sounded great as my mains prior to the La Scala's. They went lower and they can thump. But a La Scala they are not... at least not to my ear. I don't listen to rap, hip-hop or synthesized music. I much prefer older classic rock, jazz and acoustical stuff. The La Scala can more than hold it's own there.

Mike

Jeff - LOL!!! Piece of cake. There must have been really bad drugs going around in the late 50's. I can't even fathom their thought processes when they built this house. We're on an acre of land and the friggin' garage is wide enough for 2 cars IF you walk sideways to get to them with the result of dirty clothes from semi-rubbing against the cars! But to redo this area is going to need a serious construction crew.

No LOL's. My house was built in 1949 (at least half of it) - the half I showed you. You want to move a wall? They all move pretty much the same way. Not only do you have easy, complete instructions, you have photos to help you interpret the instructions. It really wasn't that bad, and on the big wall, I spent probably $200 in materials.

If you hire out that same job I did in the local market, I'd bet you'd have to pay $2500 or more. And that's for only 1 of 5 I did. You might could hire it out for less, but only if the person has experience enough to jump in. Some that I had look at it just scratched their heads and said "That's quite a job. Could be alot of work. I don't know. Hmmmm."

huh...??

not the Meat......[;)].

Well... most drums won't be venturing much below 100hz, so the La Scala's won't be an issue there. All I'm saying is play that same album on a Cornwall and tell me what you think. There is no way it can provide the lifelike sound of a kickdrum at high volume that the La Scala can.

I have Chorus's as my rears (and I love them), and they sounded great as my mains prior to the La Scala's. They went lower and they can thump. But a La Scala they are not... at least not to my ear. I don't listen to rap, hip-hop or synthesized music. I much prefer older classic rock, jazz and acoustical stuff. The La Scala can more than hold it's own there.

Mike

Mike, I have Corns. I won't speak on behalf of Chorus owners, but as far as Corns, you're incorrect. I drove my Corns for years with my MT 1200 (until I recently bought KHorns). Those Corns rock, and they definitely provide as much kickdrum at high volumes. When the hair on your arms shakes with the soundwaves, you know you've got live concert sound. [:D] I am an avid classic-rocker myself. Not to bash LaScalas. You will never hear me get negative on them. They are great. But I just want to clear up the comment re: Corns.

I've heard many Corns, Jeff, and trust me when I tell you... the kickdrums don't sound anywhere near as lifelike as they do coming from the La Scala. I'm not knocking the Cornwall. I love them, and would love to own a pair. Without question they will thump. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but to my ears the LS sounded better in this regard.

Mike

As far as "staying alive," there ain't no way that 1/4" steel sandwiched by 2 2x10's is ever moving. They use 1/4" steel in parking garages and skyscrapers. Try to stand a 1/4" thick by 8" plate up on its 1/4" side and bend it. You could park several cars on it before it would even budge.

That, is most properly called a " Flitch" plate

That, is most properly called a " Flitch" plate

Thank you, Mr. Spinner. It's been a while since we talked. I tried to get your attention to some real cheap Crowns in New York about a week ago, but you just missed it, and I never bothered. I think they were an MT 600 and an MT 1000 for $460 for the both. It's way back in this 2-channel by now.

huh...??

not the Meat......[;)].

Mike

Now, Mike ...

I don't say this to argue ...

but drums get down right to 20 hz ...

but drums get down right to 20 hz ...

And lower if you've got a mic that can capture it...

"Creek Mary's Blood" by Nightwish on the Once album is a perfect example (tribal drum hit)

And Squire's bass guitar from yes will go as low as 16Hz with the pedals he uses.