Couple of basic LaScala Questions

meagain

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my old business we had a saying about DIYers: "Fix 'em Sunday, tow 'em Monday."

Now I however, can do everything. Knowing that, I paid a pro to install my vinyl windows and another to install siding. I have 2 good lawyers. One for taxes and one for General Practice.

Rick

However, using a recording referenced to direct radiating bass is going to result in a very thin and lifeless sound on the hornloaded system.

I couldn't disagree more.

Then if we were to play it back on our perfectly flat response system, we would find the music lacking in the 80Hz region.

Flat response sounds like crap. No one has perfectly flat response anyway -- especially if they're using horns in a home. Truthfully, I just don't think you've heard a set of LaScalas or Klipschorns at their best. You're making judgments based on some very limited experience. No offense intended.

Now, I find my KH ... don't do everything I like....drop some Low Mid detail, smear some high Mid ..but , for a 50 year old design, not if that Really has any bearing ...

Pay attention .. to the low Mid Detail .. Cowbell ...gone ..not .. good ...

But ....

they Do a lotta things Right ....

First and, Foremost, is the .. Bark, ...a good High Efficiency Speaker has ....

is Soooo Right there ....[:)]

Since this thread is just about anything at this point:

DUKE!

Give me you comments here. To be honest, I can't understand a lot of your posts because you make comments in very short phrases. I am embarrased of that because I am a southerner with a bad accent an slur and I thought I could pick up jargon. Peace out!

Annnyywaayy

You have made comments regarding the speakers of your choice have been the ones that cross the woofer and mid at around 700-800 Hz. Seriously, give me your reason on why you think this is. I have had a taste of that recently with my own tweaking and would appreciate your comments or anybody else.

Thanks

jc

lol -- I understand everything he says!

Duke -- As soon as I get some time freed up it'll be on me -- but I'll want your old networks so I can reuse the autoformers and inductors. Since you have so many speakers I don't think you'll miss the downtime.

However, using a recording referenced to direct radiating bass is going to result in a very thin and lifeless sound on the hornloaded system.

I couldn't disagree more.

The khorns and lascalas certainly aren't the only hornloaded bass bins that I've had experience with. And you have but to explain how a recording mixed specifically for a certain type of system should sound better on a different kind of system...especially when you're getting rid of a system of distortion that is part of the music. Surely there is a reason that so many theaters and PA's are still using direct radiators for the bass - even when you can get deeper extension and more SPL out of hornloaded subs...One of the things that drove PWK nuts was the fact that the lascala bass bin sounds like crap when used as an electric bass guitar amp.

Then if we were to play it back on our perfectly flat response system, we would find the music lacking in the 80Hz region.

Flat response sounds like crap. No one has perfectly flat response anyway -- especially if they're using horns in a home. Truthfully, I just don't think you've heard a set of LaScalas or Klipschorns at their best. You're making judgments based on some very limited experience. No offense intended.

I suppose it depends on how you define "flat" - the flat studio sound doesn't sound good at all because it is an overdamped sound. That's why there's usually a second pair of far field speakers to reference a more reverbant system, or even a second completely different studio.

Yes, it sadly went south. Might as well start posting recipes here.

Anyone know what year LaScala started having grills? I'm unclear about the grill issue. Were grills a more recent addition - say the 80's or so?

I've got a fantastic recipe for grilled chicken...

oops, wrong thread...or IS it?

[6]

Since this thread is just about anything at this point:

DUKE!

Give me you comments here. To be honest, I can't understand a lot of your posts because you make comments in very short phrases. I am embarrased of that because I am a southerner with a bad accent an slur and I thought I could pick up jargon. Peace out!

Annnyywaayy

You have made comments regarding the speakers of your choice have been the ones that cross the woofer and mid at around 700-800 Hz. Seriously, give me your reason on why you think this is. I have had a taste of that recently with my own tweaking and would appreciate your comments or anybody else.

Thanks

jc

JW ....

Let

Me

Say

This

Slooooowly

without a New York accent.........[:)].........[:)]............[:)]

I have Always thought that the sooner ya got the Mids outta the Woofer, the Better.............

But ......

and a Big BUTT .....the J-Lo kind...[:)]

is that the Speakers I find most Accurate, OR pleasing to My ears....

are (cold) ..........JBL 4430, ....................X-over 1200 hz

(warm)..........Altec Model 19's...........X-over 1200 hz

('tween) .......Altec Valencia "B" X-over 800 hz

I seem to come close to that 105 db figure often in listening

this is also Horn, SPL related , too

as the Cornwall does sound good, but a little Honky at low volume

but that Horn throat quickly overloads , and becomes Harsh at higher SPL

Good Gravy there Duke of Hazzard. I smothered 99% of that. I even caught the J-Lo analogy cause we got sum serious butts down here (but can't top Pennsylvania statistically).

Agree with ya.

What is 'tween?

One of the things that drove PWK nuts was the fact that the lascala bass bin sounds like crap when used as an electric bass guitar amp.

I think maybe you made that up - No bass rigs are flat - all attempts at flat bass rigs sound like crap. The sound of a bass guitar into a bass amp accentuates some regions and diminishes others to sound right. That is the electric bass sound and it is not meant to be flat. That studio bas rig is the playing recorded system. The playback system should be flat in order for the bass to sound not-flat (like real basses do). Get it?

Leading question - what would be an example of any instrument that plays flat repsponse? None of these do...

Drums

Mandolin

Violins

Guitars

Organs

Voice

Banjo

Clarinet

Bag Pipe

Flute

Triangle

Trombone

Cello

Coronet

Glockenschpeil

Gong

Upright Bass

Bass Guitar

Piano

Full list, see http://www.cilea.it/music/strument.htm

Pauln

Well, I'm back from listening. Gosh. Not a great impression. At all.

The summary I got from the board was that despite the LaScala's bass not going deep, the 'quality' of the bass was there. That it was tight. There was nothing tight about it. The 'quality' wasn't there. We naturally loved the top horns, but the bass almost belonged to another speaker (or should be). So I'm puzzled that our impression was unlike the comments here.

I would describe the bass as muffled/unclear/undistinct, and boomy. Notes that are clear on my khorns just seemed to melt into each other. I didn't expect this and I'm semi-shocked to the point that I doubt that's the sound they really produce for surely people wouldn't rave about them. I know I'm coming from khorns to listening to LaScalas and expected a bit of a let down - but just a 'bit'.

I can only assume it was the gear? Would gear allow proper squawker/tweet sound, but fail only on the bass? I would think it would be an across the board difference, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know.

The CD player was a Jolida JD-100 (tubes). The amp was a stock Scott 299b (tubes). This sounded abysmal. Like a thick comforter was covering everything. So much was missing and it sounded 'dark'. Changed to an old Marantz SS which much approved things in the clarity dept in the top horns. But the bass remained not good. Further, besides being not tight/clear - the bass sounded almost like it was on it's own volume control. Less than the horns. I'm still sorting it out in my head. If I bought them, it would be soley for the horn section.

Driving home, all we talked about was how we wanted to cut the horns off the bass bin and use them for a center or somehow link them to a good bass. We decided we don't want anything less than the quality of the horn section on the Khorn/LaScala. I think anything less would frustrate me being spoiled by khorns. I bet it would sound amazing in a 5:1 mix.

I need to hear some Cornwalls. I'm assuming the bass will make me happy. IDK. But then what will I give up with it's different squawker? Maybe equal dissapointment - just flip flopped? The CornScala concept is intrigueing me more & more.