Meagain,

Whether you'll be disappointed by the bass or not is totally

subjective, but I can absolute positively assure you that you will

notice a difference. Since you're using them as rear surrounds

(uh, still the plan, right?) the lack of deep bass probably won't be

too much of an issue.

Jeff, what're you smoking? I've love to try some... [H]

can ya smoke Crow ..???

My recollection of the LaScalas was certainly impressive. I don't think there's the extreme lack of bass like people say - or anything all that close to it. Maybe you need one of those 100lb, 200wpc amps to make the bass come out of them, IDK.

But just because I own KHorns and not LaScalas does not make me want to be all high and mighty about it. The LaScalas are great speakers w/plenty of low-end.

I'll have Craig pop into this thread and give you his two cents worth on this -- what model number is the Scott?

How about straight DC into your speakers and then watching them catch on fire?

Dean, Which amp was it that nearly started your own personal inferno?[6]

I forgot which one it was. Wasn't it the same one that earned you the nickname "Sparky"?

post-12829-13819280978_thumb.jpg

Jeff doesn't.

Jeff's walls are not perfectly square, so he can only get them about an inch or so away. Poor Jeff. He'll never know what Klipschorns are supposed to sound like. He's listening to garbage and doesn't even know it.

What he needs to do is:

(1) re-build the walls to make them perfectly 90 degrees.

(2) add the top plate to the bass bin to keep the LF waves in until they reach the mouth of the horn.

(3) add room treatments in strategic places.

(4) change or remove all grill cloth.

(5) get Monster cables.

(6) go all-tube.

(7) ditch CD and go back to vinyl.

(8) buy a power conditioner.

(9) lower the volume.

(10) if 1 - 9 fail, get 6 jars of those Brilliant Pebbles.

........... (11) if 1 - 10 fail, wish he had all his money back. [:)]

Jeff doesn't.

Jeff's walls are not perfectly square, so he can only get them about an inch or so away. Poor Jeff. He'll never know what Klipschorns are supposed to sound like. He's listening to garbage and doesn't even know it.

What he needs to do is:.....

Or just ignore everybody else and enjoy the music...but correct me if I am wrong. The powers that be here did find you a little better sound with Bob C's recapped networks, right? So while perfect everything might not be needed, there is always room for improvement.

If you like it the way it is...more power to you.

Who was it that said "If it sounds good to you, it is good" I have heard plenty of Bose people say they love the way there AMass system sounds.

You're right, Rich. I guess I am making a distinction between moderation and obsessive-compulsive behavior. There's no doubt obsessing can and does generate alot of ideas/information and improvement. But at what cost? And is the cost right for everyone? IDK - maybe.

But if I find ANY OF YOU actually bought those Brilliant Pebbles, then, I'll know you've lost it. [:P]

if 1 - 9 fail, get 6 jars of those Brilliant Pebbles.

don't forget the Vaseline, too, Jeff ....[:)]

Duke, I didn't hear you ask if you could come over.... [;)]

Whaaa ...ya wanna play Twister, or something ...???....[:)]

Noooooooo ......

Duke, I love you, man! That was my last laugh before I go home and get to work on my grills. [:D] See ya!

[:D] It's really pretty simple; if you like exagerated boomy bass you may not like the LaScalas. If you tend to a more mature perspective on music (rather than noise), you may appreciate the LaScalas for what they do. A lot of current "music" and current listeners have gotten used to the super bass sound. This is a misfortunate development in music. Don't compare LaScalas to other speakers - compare them to live music. PWK invented the LaScalas not to be a PA speaker, not to be the PA for the AR gov's race (contrary to popular opinion), but after listening to a live concert of music. That's right, PWK invented the LS to do what he heard in a live concert. That's what they deliver. If you have grown up thinking that HIFI means real loud extra low bass, well you aren't really going to be wowed by a speaker that is designed to properly play music. Whenever someone writes that the LS don't have bass, consider the source. Is this someone that knows what music sound like, the kind of music you listen to, or is it someone who thinks that speakers are supposed to be able to shake the walls and make drinks on the coffee table move around?

Just thinking out loud...

Pauln

Jeff doesn't.

What he needs to do is:

(1) re-build the walls to make them perfectly 90 degrees.

(2) add the top plate to the bass bin to keep the LF waves in until they reach the mouth of the horn.

I realize you're being sarcastic, but you're absolutely correct up to here, with the possible addition of #9. The walls and top plate are part of the horn. You wouldn't run Cornwalls with the backs off, would you?

[:D] It's really pretty simple; if you like exagerated boomy bass you may not like the LaScalas. If you tend to a more mature perspective on music (rather than noise), you may appreciate the LaScalas for what they do. A lot of current "music" and current listeners have gotten used to the super bass sound. This is a misfortunate development in music. Don't compare LaScalas to other speakers - compare them to live music. PWK invented the LaScalas not to be a PA speaker, not to be the PA for the AR gov's race (contrary to popular opinion), but after listening to a live concert of music. That's right, PWK invented the LS to do what he heard in a live concert. That's what they deliver. If you have grown up thinking that HIFI means real loud extra low bass, well you aren't really going to be wowed by a speaker that is designed to properly play music. Whenever someone writes that the LS don't have bass, consider the source. Is this someone that knows what music sound like, the kind of music you listen to, or is it someone who thinks that speakers are supposed to be able to shake the walls and make drinks on the coffee table move around?

Just thinking out loud...

Pauln

I agree with your take on the matter, and would only add that the same could be said for the Klipschorn, which has its detractors in the bass dept. It is important, however, to be careful to note the disinction between the amount and quality of bass reproduction. Horn loaded bass can seem lacking due to the reduced intermodulation and harmonic distortion, which adds apparent volume and is something that is really the norm these days. Lower extension of bandwidth is another issue entirely, and I think the LS/Khorn tradeoff is one that is dependent on program material to some extent, but also very dependent on the room and electronics involved.

Hey Jeff buy some 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch pipe foam at HD or Lowes and seal the tailboard up atleast...if gap is big you could 2 pieces but it will seal the corner up.Also it looks like you got a top plate so you can seal it up to same way... do one side and tell us you dont hear difference...Rick

Don't compare LaScalas to

other speakers - compare them to live music. PWK invented the LaScalas

not to be a PA speaker, not to be the PA for the AR gov's race

(contrary to popular opinion), but after listening to a live concert of

music. That's right, PWK invented the LS to do what he heard in a live

concert. That's what they deliver.

What is the source of your information?

And what the heck is your fixation with frequencies below 70Hz are

completely invalid and never musical? It's such a load of crap and you

keep bringing it up over and over and over and over...using that logic

you might as well get rid of all frequencies above 12kHz too. Heck,

let's just randomly throw out 853.52Hz because I don't like that

frequency - and no performance is musical if that frequency exists or

is required by the song.

Another common misconception is that you are associating low frequency

extension with the shaking of the room...It has nothing to do with the

sound being lower in pitch - it has everything to do with loud volumes

and exciting resonant frequencies. A correctly calibrated system

doesn't do the things you describe. But you can't wrap that around your

head because you would prefer to lump everything into the crap category.