Home Theater 90% Complete

SCOOTERDOG

I decided to post in the HT forum this time since I am just about done. The following pics were taken tonight to show how close I am. The only thing besides the decorating and seats will be to complete the La Scala cove covers about 10' of molding and the rear riser.

Since I will not be changing my screen for about 6 months or so I built a header to cover the roll up housing. Center and sub are built into the wall with easy access as well.

There are minor tweaks I am sure I'll do but other than what I stated I am almost done. It has been balls to the walls the last 5 months.

There are about 8 pics here.

scooter

Congratulations Scooter!

Nothing like front projection to bring a home theater together!!!

Makes me wish I had a dedicated room for cranking it up and I am sure it sounds great.

If I am ever in the area, I will definately be bringing the popcorn and turkey!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh gee guy's...Thanks!

It does sound really good but it will be better as I add some wall treatments down the road.

Tom,

The sconce lighting in the column is very cool. The perforated metal

creates a very cool pattern on the ceiling. Because I have that big

beam it ends up cutting off the part that would have hit the screen.

Because of this the light only hits the La Scala coves, this was not by

design either.

Ahh gee guy's...Thanks!

It does sound really good but it will be better as I add some wall treatments down the road.

Tom,

The sconce lighting in the column is very cool. The perforated metal creates a very cool pattern on the ceiling. Because I have that big beam it ends up cutting off the part that would have hit the screen. Because of this the light only hits the La Scala coves, this was not by design either.

ScooterDog,

Take full credit, ....it was by "design".

Be proud! Serendipity can be your trusted friend.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Ahh gee guy's...Thanks!

Tom,

The

sconce lighting in the column is very cool. The perforated metal

creates a very cool pattern on the ceiling. Because I have that big

beam it ends up cutting off the part that would have hit the screen.

Because of this the light only hits the La Scala coves, this was not by

design either.

ScooterDog,

Take full credit, ....it was by "design".

Be proud! Serendipity can be your trusted friend.

Good Luck,

-Tom

But of course I meant it...What was I saying[;)]

ScooterDog,

You should be quite proud! All that hard work and battle scars have resulted in an outstanding room! I hope mine is half as good when I tackle that project this spring. I just spent the last 18 months in remodeling hell on our "new home"- kitchen doubled in size - and matching tile foyer etc. Please do post more pics - How about one with that custom cabinet exposing those copper drivers! That would be great to see!

Mark

Maybe I should have posted this thread over in the architectural section. Lots of views but not many replies. Perhaps the majority of HT people are not that interested in what we build or building their own HT. I post to inspire other people, just like some others have done too. O well thats ok, at least my post will bump it back up...lol

scooter

I'm one of the ones scooter has had a hard time believing has not commented. [:$]

To be honest, I kept looking for these in the architectural forum. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[:)]

Listen scooter, it goes without saying how I feel about your HT. But for the record, I think you've done a great job. What most impresses me is how quickly you pulled it off seeings how you also have to go to your jay-oh-bee every day to feed your family.

You know - the only thing I don't like about photos of folks' HT is that I can only look. [:(] Wish there were some way to hear them as well. Anyhow........

Again - nice work scooter. BTW....we had a friend of ours over last week to measure for some drape treatments. Hopefully my screen wall will be covered in a month or so.

Oh....and do me a favor scooter (unless you've already thought of doing this), run some baseboard moulding around the base of the columns. It'll give it more mass and stand out. In fact, small outside corner moulding on the edges of the column would make it pop too. Well......IMHO. [;)] [:)]

Thanks for sharing scooter.

Tom

Damn you Tom!

Always making me spend more money with idea's I like. Yes I have thought about this as well, in fact I do believe I have one 10' section of molding left that I can use. Now as far as the color of the molding on the columns would you suggest I go with the chilled wine since the columns are gray? I think this would be a way to offset the gray. I also think I have a couple of corner moldings but will need to get some more. While I'm at lowes is there anything else you see I could do? I ask because sometimes I may miss it because I only have one pair of eyes and I'm in the room all of the time. I also want to add some more crown molding but I only have about 24' left, will need to get some more of that too. One of these days I'll be done with the final 10%.

Scooter

Damn you Tom!

Always making me spend more money with idea's I like. Yes I have thought about this as well, in fact I do believe I have one 10' section of molding left that I can use. Now as far as the color of the molding on the columns would you suggest I go with the chilled wine since the columns are gray? I think this would be a way to offset the gray. I also think I have a couple of corner moldings but will need to get some more. While I'm at lowes is there anything else you see I could do? I ask because sometimes I may miss it because I only have one pair of eyes and I'm in the room all of the time. I also want to add some more crown molding but I only have about 24' left, will need to get some more of that too. One of these days I'll be done with the final 10%.

Scooter

I would just tie in the baseboard moulding to your existing baseboard and paint it the same color. I think it would look weird if it were painted the wall color.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As for what else.just remember you asked. [;)]

Personally, I would run chair rail around the entire room in order to break up all that flat wall area. If thats out of the question, I would do something to the columns to make them stand out. Maybe create a panel by framing out an area with decorative moulding and then painting the area inside of the moulding the same as the wall color. Just trying to break up that monochromatic column. I mean, the darn things are so nice yet they need something to make them pop. Hey......what about some type of cloth "panel" that would wrap around the column's midsection? It would add texture to the column (and room), break up the monolithic look and conceal the Heresy. As for the color of this wrap around panel....that's a tough one for one would hate to introduce another color into the room. I think 3 is the max (so I'm told).

Tom

Tom,

Your too funny!

I plan on decorating the columns but not with fabric. I am going to add some tragedy and comedy type masks or perhaps some movie reels to the sides. I think by adding these and the molding that should cap them off. As far as chair rail time will tell. The thing to keep in mind is the room is not even decorated yet. Once I start to add some touches to it I will revisit the chair molding.

Great looking room Scooter!!! I live in Boise and work in Twin Falls on occasion. I would love to drop by and take a peek. I am rather new to HT and just purchased my first set of Klipsch speakers last month.

Again, great job on the room. Yeah...I am jealous....

John

Great room, how about some x-10 lighting?

If you put that column lighting on x-10 you could set a delay dimming, when you hit off on your remote it would slowly dim them to off. Easily done with macro's on a remote.

X-10 is cheap and easy, just buy the IR controller (35.00) and a switch (35.00) and you're in x-10 scene lighting heaven. It's a really cool effect and let's you operate things from your chair. Gives it that movie theater feel. Plus how many really cool things can you buy for under 100.00?