Top of KHorn bass bin

Jeff Matthews

I notice in every KHorn pic, the top plate of the bass bin goes straight back the depth of the grill before turning in towards the back corner, like it is shaped like a homeplate mat in baseball.

Mine is not. Mine is triangular. From the front of the bass bin, the sides of the top plate go straight back toward the corner. It most definitely looks original, like they were built that way.

Any help on explaining this would be appreciated. I am in the process of re-grilling and wondering what the deal is.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the D style, the bass bin top panel acts just like the bottom panel of the other cabinet style H/F sections, it is supposed to be shaped like a home plate to seal into the corner. If that is not the case, then he definitely needs to cut-out and attach a correct panel. A previous owner may have removed that correct panel from those speakers.

Oh just looked at old price list i see style D does not have the upper homplate....you need to make one to seal those babies right....Rick

I do have the upper bin, and it is homeplate shaped. The bass bin is triangular, like in the pic I attached. If I stick a grill up against it, it will not have the wood covering the top of the grill like I see in the pics. I assume what I am seeing is the top of the grill slides under a piece of wood laying flat. True?

Can you show me a pic of what it is? I don't have anything to go by as a reference, and none of the pics on Klipsch or Google Images show this very well.

Maybe there is none, but something looks different. Here's what I see on everyone else's: I see that at the top of the side grill, there is a 3/4" thick piece of wood. It looks like the top of the side grill fits so that it is inset into the wood. The wood appears to go straight back, parallel to the top bin.

If I put a grill on the way they are, you will be able to see the top of the grill (i.e. from a birds-eye view, the grill will not be inset into anything.

See the pic below? It seems as if the top of the bass bin has a home plate shape - just like the bottom of the top bin. The top of my bass bin looks just like in the pic of the beater bass bin I showed earlier.

post-19352-1381928095406_thumb.jpg

Ok i see what your asking,,,,the one your looking at is a style B it has 2 homeplate type things and a spacer...your home plate is part of the top horn section ...but when you put top horn section on it should cover the top of the grill just like the pic does.HDBR said even the D style has the home plate to so it should be ok.Rick

Thanks, Rick. It's good to know it was built that way. My question now is: If I bring the side grill up to the bottom of the top bin, then, I lose the 3/4" rise (throat, whatever you call it) between the top bin and the bass bin (my top bin is made to look like the previous pic, where there are some boards scabbed onto the bottom of the top bin to raise it 3/4" off the bass bin).

Should I bring the grill up to the bottom of the top bin - or should I bring it to the top of the bass bin? If I do the former, then, I lose the "throat" look. If I do the latter, there will be a 3/4" gap between the top of the grill and the bottom of the top bin where you can see inside. Which way is proper?

The E-bay bass bin appears to be missing its tailboard. You can see the 3 spacers on the back that the tailboard fastens to. The spacers stand the tailboard away from the bin to let the bass waves out.

Also, the top of the e-bay bass bin should be a trapezoid, not a triangle. The pic is puzzling in that it looks like a triangle, at least from that angle. It has to be a trapezoid because the back is open (covered by a wire mesh) in order to let the bass wave exit from the interior of the horn and make the acute turn into the final stage of the bass horn, formed by the walls and the exterior wall of the bass bin.

There is no real issue re the grill -- it extends to the top of the bass bin, period. What you think is the "top" of the bass bin in the full picture is actually the bottom of the top hat. The grill won't fit in there if it extends above the bass bin.

Larry

Jeff - what 'style' do you have exactly? Can you post pics?

I wasn't aware of different styles. I have no clue. The tailboard is complete on mine. The bass bin looks like that in the pic. of the beater above. Here is a crummy pic that the seller posted on Audiogon: You can see what I'm talking about, although the pic is admittedly small. Look at the left one. You can see underneath the top bin that the bass bin goes back triangularly. There is no home-plate shaped board on top of the bass bin. I know it had to have been made this way. Everything looks original.

Anybody have a clue?

post-19352-1381928095419_thumb.jpg

I will also point this out for curiosity's sake. Klipsch apparently paints the areas of wood to be covered by grill cloth to make it black. Well, if you look at the bottom of the top bin behind the top grill going toward the wall, you will see a wood plate going back toward the wall (the "home plate" we've been mentioning). The edge of the "home plate" is black - indicating to me that this little edge used to be covered in grill cloth as well. So, that's what I did was cover it. It looks good that way, but not like yours.

I wasn't aware of different styles. I have no clue. The tailboard is complete on mine. The bass bin looks like that in the pic. of the beater above. Here is a crummy pic that the seller posted on Audiogon: You can see what I'm talking about, although the pic is admittedly small. Look at the left one. You can see underneath the top bin that the bass bin goes back triangularly. There is no home-plate shaped board on top of the bass bin. I know it had to have been made this way. Everything looks original.

Anybody have a clue?

Yeah, Jeff, I gave you a clue or two above -- that K on the left looks simply like a standard K-horn without a side grill. The side grill carries the home plate shape down to the bottom of the bass bin.

While the bass bin does narrow toward the rear, it is not triangular. It has a shorter rear face that is parallel to the front (technically a trapezoid).

That very small pic you posted loses too much detail when it's blown up, so here's one from hifilit.com -- look at the "U" style, and you'll see exactly the same appearance. The midrange horn rests on the bottom slab of the top hat, which, as you can see, is also shaped like a home plate.

Larry

Jeff, see if this picture helps you. It is a pic of mine with the very top "home plate" removed and the khorn in the corner. Note that the bass bin is pretty close to home plate shaped except for the very rear "point" missing. Is it possible that yours are "D" type and don't have any side grills? It is side grills you are talking about making, correct?

EDIT: Looks like what I call the spacer in my 3rd (bottom) anotation in the picture is really called the throat/collar. Looking at your small picture I think you have the B style. Don't you have a digital camera to post better pictures or did you spend all your money on construction [;)]

Click picture for a better look and my comments

post-16462-1381928095733_thumb.jpg