Top of KHorn bass bin

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one khorn does look pretty nice. I'm sure they used better (clearer) birch on them then other types. See that smudge on the bottom part? That's what I'd like to know how to get rid of on these LaScalas I'm probably going to buy. I think it's sap or something? I imagine Jeff if yours were raw, that stain would look more prominent. I like the tone of them.

The Cornwalls are sure unique also. I like the beefy trim. Under the grill, it looks light. Not the black I'm used to seeing. What's exactly under those grills? Have you taken off the grills for a good looksee? Might be pretty? I imagine children or pets could die if those fell off their stands huh? Oh wait... It seems the trim on the bottom partially covers the ports. I wonder how that affects the sound. I imagine it would?

All said and done, that black Burlap makes a pretty nice grill cloth - eh? Not bad for $2.99 a yard compared to (I believe someone said) $40.00 a yard for "real" grill gloth. [:D] With 4 yards, I re-grill both speakers for $11.96 + tax. I guess "real" grill cloth would run me about $160.00.

Not bad for black potato sacks. [;)]

The one khorn does look pretty nice. I'm sure they used better (clearer) birch on them then other types. See that smudge on the bottom part? That's what I'd like to know how to get rid of on these LaScalas I'm probably going to buy. I think it's sap or something? I imagine Jeff if yours were raw, that stain would look more prominent. I like the tone of them.

The Cornwalls are sure unique also. I like the beefy trim. Under the grill, it looks light. Not the black I'm used to seeing. What's exactly under those grills? Have you taken off the grills for a good looksee? Might be pretty? I imagine children or pets could die if those fell off their stands huh? Oh wait... It seems the trim on the bottom partially covers the ports. I wonder how that affects the sound. I imagine it would?

Thanks. Are you referring to the "smudge" that runs up the middle a little ways? If so, the pic just doesn't do justice. I think the flash makes the wood grain disperse all the light and make it look alot darker than it is. It looks perfectly normal in ordinary light. I'll try a pic when the sun is out (???).

Under the grills of the Corns, they are raw birch. I took of the grill on the other one (since it was shredded by my cat anyway). Could be made to be pretty, but a concern is all those staple holes that were left where the cloth was attached beneath the trim. Folks here have re-assured me they've patched the tiny holes with wood filler very successfully before a new application of stain.

Funny! As I quote you, your edit pops up in my editor window. Talk about real time....

As to the ports, there's no issue with sound that I ever recognized, but I'm deaf.

Finally, yep, it would be a bad idea to go push on one of them pretty hard. Other than that, the stands are very sturdy - especially on a harder floor than carpet. I bolted the two plates to the pedestals with large lag bolts - very large - and then used wood glue, also.

By the way, my Corns were raw Birch decos that were stained - as luck would have it - practically the exact same color as my KHorns. The Birch on the Corns is very, very nice, too!

Word of reassurance as to your LaScalas - I just don't think Klipsch used crappy wood. As became apparent to me earlier, the color of stain seems to make all the difference. Your LaScalas will be real beauties with the right stain color, IMO.

Oh yea, I forgot you were deaf. Then the port being covered wouldn't matter.

I still say it's a darned shame to cover up those decorator corns with a grill. Wouldn't take but 10 minutes to match the color.

Plus a few hours to putty all those little staple holes and dents. Plus some added elbow grease to sand and apply stain and a few coats of poly. Fun, fun, fun....

Maybe down the road....

Oh yea, I forgot you were deaf. Then the port being covered wouldn't matter.

I still say it's a darned shame to cover up those decorator corns with a grill. Wouldn't take but 10 minutes to match the color.

Plus a few hours to putty all those little staple holes and dents. Plus some added elbow grease to sand and apply stain and a few coats of poly. Fun, fun, fun....

Maybe down the road....

Just trying to bump past the pics to get to a new page....

BTW: What do you think of those black potato sacks for $2.99/yard?

Does it affect the sound? Hmmmmm..... I'd call it the "Poor Man's" way to get sound like Dean's Super AA's. [:P]

Just kidding. I listened to a bunch of songs after I put it on and couldn't tell any difference. I'm not saying nobody could possibly tell. I just didn't give it a moment's worry, and when I checked, everything sounded fine.

I'd say this for anyone scared to use this for a re-grill because of sound issues only. At $2.99 a yard, go buy a yard and cover the top bin and see what you think. If you don't like it, take it off.

Oh, yeah. About the look. Maybe in the pics it might be hard to tell, but they don't look like cloth in the sense of the cloth like you'd use to sew a shirt. These are (like someone said) "potato sacks." They have little pin holes. It's a rough weave. As I think about it, you can see it better on the picture of my Cornwall on the custom stand. That, too, is Burlap, except a lighter color. It wasn't my idea to use Burlap. The previous owner used it on my Corns. Looks like the Cane grills - and that's what I thought it was when everyone said "Cane" this and that on the forum.

Jeff,

You have to tell us the secret.........how the heck does every subject you get involved in end up 42 pages long[;)]

Craig

You mean you haven't noticed? I start out being a dumba$$, and it takes half the time before we can all figure out something as basic as "I have Type D KHorns." [;)] But I don't do it on purpose. I really am one - until someone straightens me out.

And then, of course, unconventional applications (like Burlap for grills) seem to raise an eyebrow here and there. Why, I'll never know.

John Allbright,

I can't access anything I have back in the states right now, including anything in storage. It will be about a year before I return stateside. They guy who has a pair of the Oak cabs stored for me has not made contact with me in any form or fashion since I left the states. I also have no idea where he has them stored along with MOST of my woodworking equipment. For all I know right now, I may not have any of that left anymore, which is gonna be a royal pain if that is the case. BUT, I can always start up the whole thing again, which I will probably have to do, anyway.

Dee has made mention a few times that he may be interested in selling his PAIR of oak LaScalas that I built, but they need a bit of MINOR TLC right now, which really isn't a major ordeal. I would imagine that he would want to sell them as a pair though, so keep that in mind. Just remember, they are the ONLY ones I know of that were built with mitered cabinetry and exact book matches throughout. They aren't "Klipsch", but I am sure PWK would have really liked them!

Jeff,

You have to tell us the secret.........how the heck does every subject you get involved in end up 42 pages long[;)]

Craig

You mean you haven't noticed? I start out being a dumba$$, and it takes half the time before we can all figure out something as basic as "I have Type D KHorns." [;)] But I don't do it on purpose. I really am one - until someone straightens me out.

And then, of course, unconventional applications (like Burlap for grills) seem to raise an eyebrow here and there. Why, I'll never know.

Well it could be worse you could be your avatar [;)]

Jeff,

Craig

..... But then, I'd have to change my name, and m00n has already been taken! [;)]

Thanks Andy,

I've sent a PM to Dee. Be careful and God bless you!

I finally made it to California on a bike, this past summer. I

traded the Triumph on a Kawasaki Concours. I took my 14-year-old

son and another friend on his Gold Winnebago. 7000 mles in 20

days. It was awesome! My son wants to go to Maine this

summer, Canada next summer and then Alaska in 2008. I'll have to

trade the Connie for a GS or a V-strom for Alaska.

Jeff,

Craig

..... But then, I'd have to change my name, and m00n has already been taken! [;)]

Duh. I missed it. I'm thinking dumba$$, and you're thinking "Blowhard." Now that you mention him, where's he been?