Tube Preamp or CD player

Macallan

I am considering purchasing a JM Peach to upgrade my 2 channel listening, as I am currenlty using a Yamaha 2300 as a pre. I also have read good reviews about a tube modification for my Sony 685 CD player called the Dec-685 from Decware. My question is if I can only do one upgrade, which will make the most difference, the preamp or the cd? My thoughts are that the Peach will make the most difference, but how important is upgrading the CD player?

Personally, I think the pre-amp is a priority because there is so much gain there. Granted, a crummy CDP signal is only going to be amplified, but I would start with the pre- and then look at the CDP next.

A nice tubed pre- sure goes well with a nice tubed amp (and a tubed CDP like the Njoe Tjoeb). When you get a nice chain of tubes, a lot of good things happen.

Chris

In general, I think it makes sense to work backwards with improvements through the signal chain:

Get the best speakers you can afford

Update networks if needed

Amp

Preamp

Source

This makes the improvements cascade without confounding the improvement's origin. Same way electronics troubleshooting is performed, from the output backwards to the input.

The Dec 685 mod you refer to will make a huge difference in your present gear. If you have great amps and speaker you will hear the crap if you have a lousy source. It will actually be more unlistenable. If your source is phenomenal (like the dec 685 or njoe etc.) even a not-so-good amp and speakers will be the better for it. The earlier in the chain you get a better signal the better your output. It does not work the other way around.

The Dec modded sony will output more than 2 volts so it may sometimes eliminate or delay the need for a preamp.

I'm with rmt, if you have a good output stage in your CD/DAC that puts out at least 2 volts (assuming decent sensitivity of your amp), who needs a preamp with these speakers?

You certainly need to be careful going the passive pre route. But I am a firm believe that no pre is better than the best pre in the right situation.

I'm with rmt, if you have a good output stage in your CD/DAC that puts out at least 2 volts (assuming decent sensitivity of your amp), who needs a preamp with these speakers?

You certainly need to be careful going the passive pre route. But I am a firm believe that no pre is better than the best pre in the right situation.

NO WAY!!!, I'm no audiophile, and even I know that is dead wrong. The PRE is a crittical element that completes the package. I noticed a huge difference with just my Tuner (comparing it with and without the pre). NO WAY! You need a good preamp, point your $$ in that direction first.

Unless of course you've got a Bose system, then it really doesn't matter.[;)]

What Klipsch speakers do you have and what power amp? If you have a good amp then go with the pre amp. If you like it but still want better sound then later try a tube cd player.

What ever you buy make sure it has a good resale value in case the preamp or cd player is not to your liking.

I agree to get the preamp first. If you don't need teh HT and LoZ modes, the Merlin will get you there for half the price, leaving funds for the CD player.

I have no experience with the jolida, but that said, I see teh difference that teh upsampler made and I don't think that the Jolida has an upsampler option.

Personally, buy a Benchmark if you want flexibility. You can then get a cheap CD player and use the RCA digital out to the Benchmark and also build a computer server and run an optical out to the benchmark. You will also want to get some sort of tubed buffer stage for lousy recordings (the Benchmark is really revelaing).

The AH with upsampler and Amperex PQ tubes has awesome detail, big bass and a great soundstage. I is similar to the Benchmark when I compare them.

Chris

Thanks for all the input, I have RF-7 speakers, B&K 200.2 amp and a Yamaha 2300 as a pre/ amp for my center and rears. I plan on using the HT bypass feature on the Peach so i can continue to use the Yamaha for HT and upgrade my 2 channel system for music. I am pretty sure I will buy the Peach first and then look at the Dec-685 later. I already have the Sony 685 that is required for the Dec-685 uprade so I will most likely go that route and not another tube CDP. I also read about a product called the Zbox from Decware which is an external device that is supposed to enhance your CDP. But i don't really understand how it improves the sound.

You definitely need a good output stage, which would typically not exist in a cheap CD player. But you absolutely do not HAVE to have an active preamp. It is certainly not for everyone, but don't belive the old, no dynamics, blah, blah, blah rap on passives.

I had a great preamp, audible illusions L-1 and with the correct setup the passive absolutely smokes it, like a vale completely lifted from the music.

I use a sonic frontiers DAC with a tube output stage (a healthy 5 volts) balanced into a carver lightstar passive (used are $500 these days) into audio research mono blocks.

I agree it may be semantics about what you call a "pre-amp" but it is absolutely not true that you must have an active preamp and that a passive preamp cannot sound great.