Please Don't Bid On CWs from Silver Spring, MD

garymd

I agree with Gilbert, I think.

It's too easy to get caught up in the feeding frenzy of a live auction and pay too much; good for the seller. On the other hand, a seller at a live auction, without a reserve, runs the risk that the bidders are the wrong crowd for the item being auctioned, in which case it could be "going, going gone" for much less than fair market value.

Putting eBay's other flaws aside temporarily, its format gives everyone the opportunity to offer the seller what the item is worth to him/her at the close of the auction. If its worth more to you than to the other bidders, you win. If another bidder values it more highly, you lose, but youre spared the temptation to bid more than youre willing to spend.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I certainly cannot stop anyone from bidding, early/late/whenever. I was just letting you all know my buddy is trying to get this pair and if at all possible, to please do me a favor and not bid. I'd certainly do that (and have done that) for another forum member.

Go for it if you wish. I can't stop you. We usually try to help each other here (or so I thought). If someone pm'd me and said they lived around the corner from these like I do and really wanted them too, I'd understand. May the highest bidder win in that case.

I'll continue to try and help other forum members when I can and hope others will do the same. I really didn't think my request was over the top.

[quote user

" . . . sometimes we lose (even by a dollar!) . . . "

It's unlikely you ever lost by "a dollar." All you know is that the winner's maximum bid (what it was worth to him/her) was greater than your maximum bid. The other bidders' max could have been coincidentally $1 higher than yours, but it's far more likely that it was some unknown amount greater than your maximum bid.

I certainly cannot stop anyone from bidding, early/late/whenever. I was just letting you all know my buddy is trying to get this pair and if at all possible, to please do me a favor and not bid. I'd certainly do that (and have done that) for another forum member.

Go for it if you wish. I can't stop you. We usually try to help each other here (or so I thought). If someone pm'd me and said they lived around the corner from these like I do and really wanted them too, I'd understand. May the highest bidder win in that case.

I'll continue to try and help other forum members when I can and hope others will do the same. I really didn't think my request was over the top.

Gary-

Your request was not over the top. It was not wrong to make your friend's interest known. It could never be wrong to help a friend, as long as it doesn't harm someone else.

Nevertheless, IMHO, it would be wrong and unfortunate if some other equally interested and worthy forum member chose to honor your request and did not bid (indicate it's worth to him/her) at the end of the "auction" only to lose to a non-forum member. There would be no guarantee that your friend would win under that scenario. The only fair way is for every interested individual to bid at the end.

Forum members, yours truly included, have frequently and generously helped each other purchase, store and transport large and expensive Klipsch speakers.

I can't stop anyone from bidding but I kindly ask that you let these go so they don't get bid up too high. They're CBRs with no risers. Absolutely mint looking. I'll know better on Monday.

How kindly is it to the guy trying to sell them? Honest, that sucks. You should know better. How would you feel if you were trying to sell them?

I'm with Gary on this one. Nothing wrong with asking your friends to help out.

If it's the last slice of pizza and you gobble it up before you check

to see if anyone else is interested are you merely a glutton or a

person without manners?

This is a hobby not a business. Hobbyists, like friends, help

each other out. Not everything in life boils down to a commercial

transaction added up in the plus and minus column.

You've got a friend who is helping a friend. A friend by the way

who is very generous with his time and enthusiasm for this hobby who

has helped out countless members of this forum.

He's asking for favor, not demanding anything. Seems pretty simple to

me. Friends help out friends. Some time it hurts a little,

most of the time it's well worth the small sacrifices we make in the

name of friendship.

Anybody don't like it, call my Complaint Department. Ask for "Knuckles" or "Bruiser".

[quote user

" . . . sometimes we lose (even by a dollar!) . . . "

It's unlikely you ever lost by "a dollar." All you know is that the winner's maximum bid (what it was worth to him/her) was greater than your maximum bid. The other bidders' max could have been coincidentally $1 higher than yours, but it's for more likely that it was some unknown amount greater than your maximum bid.

Probably true, though I have been the bogus sniper as well and I know I won by a dollar! did with a pair of 77 Cornwalls, just lucky I think, did so also with several other auctions also . Good thing is if you don't win one item, another will come along, except for some really rare item, maybe. Overall, you can get what your looking for, just may take some time. Not anyones fault, well maybe ( name shipping co.) that most sellers will not ship larger speakers too often, due to risk of damage, bidding is almost impossible because of no shipping, and 500+ miles is a bit too much to pick up. Seems like most Klipsch speaker auctions are in California, Texas, and Florida, rare here in Ohio

Gary, good "luck "with the Cornwall auction!

This person goes beyound sniping. They're in the business of buying and reselling. If you are buying hersy's from Ebay chances are the pair you buy made a trip to Tampa first. Your just paying the FL tax (his mark up). All his speakers have a reserve price, so he's covering his investment plus a profit. Don't fret living in OH though. I lived near Columbus when I bought my first Klipsch speakers, Cornwalls from a gentleman in Buffalo NY. Four hour drive each way. OH is centrally located and puts you within reach of many good buying opportunities. I hope Gary's friend get's his shot at those C's cause they are niiiiiice!

Looks like these will probably go higher then my friend is willing to pay which is unfortunate for him. He's coming over to look at my Heresys next weekend if the Corns don't work out.

Thanks for your kind words folks and I respect all of your opinions whether or not I agree with them. All's fair in love and Klipsch speaker auctions.[;)]

I hope they go to a good home.

They're all yours Jay. I was planning to go see them today and even though my friend is no longer interested, I'll still go check them out for you. I wanted to see them anyway and I like the guy who's selling.

When you come to get them, stop by my place on the way and we'll go together. I'm about 10 mintues from I95.

We can probably all agree that the Klipsch Forum is a family of hobbyists, not a business. Within that family its appropriate and common for members to offer deals to each other at less than eBay prices before offering their Klipsch to the rest of the world through eBay, Audiogon, etc. Consistent with that philosophy is the unwritten custom that sellers through the Forum state asking prices, rather than pitting Forum members against one another in a bidding war. Most seem to honor the principle that the first person to express interest has the right to buy at the stated price and that other Forum members should not try to outbid each other. No one is hurt by this custom. Its all done voluntarily.

Also consistent with that philosophy, we alert each other to the availability of interesting items on eBay, Audiogon, Craigslist, local newspaper classified ads, etc. Thumpelstiltskin/Rick comes to mind as one of the most prolific members in this regard. Rick bought Four Abused La Scalas[1] from a bar in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Ohio. He sold them to Colterphoto1/ Michael Colter who traveled from Indy to southeast Ohio to collect them. Before leaving to collect the La Scalas, Michael sold two to me and two to a Klipsch employee. He made the trip for the love of Klipsch, not to make a profit.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

At the time that discussions were underway regarding the La Scalas, Travisc posted about the availability of a 1956 Khorn cabinet on Audiogon.[2] Michael expressed interest in that cabinet. I made the thirty minute drive to check it out. Although not personally interested, I paid $200 for the cabinet and a bunch of Advent speakers in various states of disrepair and stored them in our warehouse to preserve them for Michael.

Michael needed some assistance while traveling to Ricks place to collect the La Scalas. Quickly emails, PMs and phone calls between yours truly, BEC, Sputnik and other Forum members assured that the curly headed one arrived at Ricks to collect the La Scalas.[3] Until I rendezvoused with Michael at a truck stop in Fort Wayne, Indiana, wed never met.

Prior to the Ft.Wayne meeting, Michael had decided against rebuilding the 56 Khorn. Only after he surrendered his prior claim was it sold to a man in Belgium and eventually delivered to his local contact here in suburban Detroit. Michael and I exchanged two La Scalas for cash and most of the Advents. Disregarding time and fuel, I recovered the $200 Id fronted to buy the 56 Khorn and Advents. The integrity of the Forum and the hobby were preserved.

Its appropriate that we alert each other to the availability of Klipsch and other interesting items, but there is a risk. For example, I spotted a set of Klipsh La Scala speakers on eBay and brought them to the attention of the Forum members. Due to the misspelling of Klipsch, they were under the radar and had the potential to be a bargain. Unfortunately for HDBRbuilder/Andy, he had already seen them and would have preferred that they stay below the radar. Its my recollection (could be incorrect) that Andy was the successful bidder on the La Scalas; success that came without asking other Forum members to stay away from the speakers.

At the family table its appropriate for the last slice of pizza to be earmarked for a specific family member. It would be naïve to try the same at a restaurant. While the family members are free to decide among themselves who has the highest claim to the last slice of pizza, they have no right to bind non-family members to their agreement. While they are staring at the last slice, its possible that a non-family member will buy it.

The foregoing merely reflects my opinions regarding the strengths and limitations of the Forum as a way to help each other. It would be a shame if Thumpelstiltskin and others on the Forum stopped alerting the Forum to the availability of Klipsch or other desirable items because they could not fairly steer them to certain individuals. Was Andy disappointed when I brought the Klipsh La Scalas he was stalking to the attention of the rest of the Forum? Sure he was, but he got them anyway. Each Forum member is free to not bid on items that another Forum member is pursuing, but there is always the risk that a non-Forum member will get the last piece of pizza anyway. How does that help the Forum? Its better for everyone (sellers and buyers) when everyone bids what he/she feels the item is worth to them. If a Forum member identifies an item that she/he is pursuing from a non-Forum member, he/she does so at the risk that another Forum member will value the item more highly and make a higher bid/offer to the non-Forum member.

Ill get off my soapbox now. If you need a favor in the Detroit area, dont hesitate to contact me.

DizRotus

I agree with you 110%. When I first read the thread , I'm surprise that Gary would even ask the forum members for something like this. Looking at Gary's number of post, I'm sure he help me in the past and answered some of my questions at this forum. But for him ask me and the rest of the crew here not to bid on something...............I have to disagree. [:D][:D]

BTW I really like the family table with the last slice of pizza example.[:D][:D][:D]