??? SACD's.....Are They Really That Much Better ???

Gilbert

I'd been at BestBuy today, looking for music, and kept comming across them. And I started to get curious about whether or not I'm really missing out.

Is this something you just gotta have? Are the recordings superior to redbook?

Oh Damit, there's another expense. I'll have to start doin' some research....

What deck are you running, and why?

I'd been at BestBuy today, looking for music, and kept comming across them. And I started to get curious about whether or not I'm really missing out.

Is this something you just gotta have? Are the recordings superior to redbook?

I cannot find many SACDs anymore at Best Buy. They used to have a much better selection. Now the SACD section at my local BB is probably 1/6 the size that it was two years ago.

This is really too bad because if I had the choice I would by always buy the SACD of a given title if available, even at the typical price premium. It is that much better, IMO.

IMO yes they are noticeably better, however it is hard to find a good section. I have taken to web sites like Elusive Disc to peruse for potential selections.

Denon DVD 2200 it does SACD, Regular CD, DVD Video DVD Audio decodes HT formats into analog out which is a must for SACD. Decent bass management. I really like it. The scan/cuing is a little slow however.

If you are interested in trying some this is the most recent post on it with some suggestions from people.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/677896/ShowPost.aspx

I have 30-40 SACD and DVD Audio and about 10 I do not listen to cause either I tried a new type of music and did not like it or to me the sound quality is bad. Out of the other 30 about 15-20 sound really good and the other 10 are still better than cds.

If the search was working you might try it in general forums for SACD and DVD Audio

They offer sound quality on a par with LP records without any surface noise! They really shine when it comes to classical recordings such as the RCA classic "Living Stereo" series. However except for "live" concerts, I don't see a lot of value in the 5 channel surround SACDs - 3 channel is fine for most recordings.

They offer sound quality on a par with LP records without any surface noise! They really shine when it comes to classical recordings such as the RCA classic "Living Stereo" series. However except for "live" concerts, I don't see a lot of value in the 5 channel surround SACDs - 3 channel is fine for most recordings.

I've seen reports of the Living Stereo discs available at Costco recently.

At $7.99 in a B&M store it's a no brainer. I need to check out my local Costco.

I forgot do you have a player?

Actually, I do have a player already, I too have the Denon DVD2200. But I purchased the unit for it's DVD playback capabilities. It's not hooked up into my tube system. I guess I could play the SACD's back with the SS system, to sample them.

The BestBuy over here in seemed to have quite a few. I kept comming across them while digging through the redbood selection. They actually had them mixed in with the redbook. Is this typical?