Academy on eBay went for $711!

fmushkin

Do prices go up around bonus/tax refund time, or is something else going on?

a) people have been convinced they require/deserve a daily $4.50 cup of coffee

B) more money than brains

c) WAF triumphs over common sense

d) end of the world in near

e) all of the above

Why didn't Klipsch reissue the Academy with the new revamped Heritage line???!!!!, Huh??

Probably something to do with the fact that the Academy is the proper center for the Chorus/Forte/Quartet and not the the Khorn/LS/Cornwall.

At $700 I'll have to rethink selling my totally perfect OO Academy with original box, receipt, sales literature, etc. What do you think I could get for it this time of year? Funny thing is I offered up my Black academy back around late summer time and it took a while to sell it. Frzn or somebody else was offering up his with 4 minor holes in it (nicely repaired) and he practically had to beg forum members to take it.

I guess timing is everything.

Yep. Cabin fever sets in every year about this time. A WO went for $930 two Februarys ago, so if you're going to eBay an Academy, this is the time to do it.

Of course if you eBay it, be ready for the folks here to complain that you eBayed it instead of putting it up here just so you could make a few extra bucks . . . you know, the same Academy they wouldn't buy last September for about half what eBay's screaming chimps will pony up.

Oh, I know they would complain[:@]...but hey, if I was actually of the mindset to sell it...it would take a lot more then the $225 all the tight wads around here would want to offer me.[;)] Seriously I have just about no interest in selling it. It is the one piece of audio equipment I can tell my wife that is actually worth more then I paid for it when purchased new from some snobby audio store.

I get a real kick out of watching the guys gloat who snag a pair of Fortes for 50 bucks then 6 months later wine like he!! that they can't find an Academy for $25 since it is, after all, one speaker not two. Forget the fact that it is the most important speaker in HT, he will get a KG something or KC something and try to convince himself that it sounds almost as good. Better of you consider the sound to dollar ratio of the Academy.

I better go take my meds [:#] the Academy cost thing always gets my blood boiling.

Why didn't Klipsch reissue the Academy with the new revamped Heritage line???!!!!, Huh??

The Academy was really issued as a center for the Chorus (II), Forte (II), and Quartet generation - not the original Heritage stuff. And the truth remains the ONLY correct center is one with matching main crossover/drivers. Anything else represents a compromise. Regardless, the Academy remains a good $350 alternative.

And here's one that may have slid under the radar for $345:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5860377077&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I was watching it, and I THINK it's an Academy from the dimensions, but the seller never answered either of my emails inquiring about those things, plus zero feedback. And if you check the seller's other listings (now in the "completed" section), he had a ton of other stuff for sale and not a single bid on any of it. Guess other's were scared off by him/her as well...

DD, man that is a tough call. Sure looks like an Academy, dimensions are correct, and it even looks like WO possibly. Zero feedback and not answering emails makes it nerve racking to bid. Hopefully someone got a good deal.

Any forum member out there buy it?

I talked a little about this last summer at the Pilgrimage.

The new THX HT specs say your should have 3 of the same speakers accross the front. The Academy is not a full range speaker! Look at the Ultra 2 line for example.

From my discussions, they have the answer for Heritage HT. If you want small, you put 3 H3s accross the front. Next is 3 CW3s, then 3 LAS2s.

JM

Also consider this... I am using my Forte II as side surrounds. Do they match the timbre of my RF 7s? Yup.. How? I have an Audio Control EQ and matched it with pink noise.

Does my RC-7 match the RF-7s? Nope... I exibits a different pitch in the pink noise. Do I care that much?? Nope.. But I'll prolly get a Dean mod at some point and that may do it.

So I would get an RC-7 and an EQ for 100.

I hear a difference with two identical speakers in different corners. your room plays havoc with timbre matching. (and dont tell me I have a bad driver, Ive swapped every driver back and forth to come to this conclusion) maybe my left ear doesnt timbre match my right ear. I cant swap those out

with that said the closer you can come the better, but in my book perfect timbre matching happens in fairy tales and the good lords HT in the sky