HD TV

customsteve01

OK, I have been looking for a HD TV and doing quite a bit of research but other than looking at thes sets in the store I really have not had the opertunity to sit down and watch one.

Untill last night.................................

Went to a friends house for a superbowl party and he has a 52" Mitsubishi (WD-52527)

I am not sure what cable box he has but I know he has Comcast. The picture was pretty good, I know it has been profesionaly calibrated. There was something that bothered me and it really was just a problem when the game was on, during comercials I didn't notice this.

When the game was playing the white lines on the field as the cameras scaned around appeared to be somewhat dashed and squiggly. I have watched some football at the stores and have never noticed this before. Is this something that is somewhat standard with HD or maybe the LCD format or what? I am still leaning toward the Sony SXRD TV, I did watch some of the Seahawk vs. Panthers game at Sears on the Sony and I did not notice this, but I didn't watch it for more than 20 min or so.

Also my other issue....................and its a BIG ONE.

I had to listen to the game thru a RCA HTIAB system that all thru the first half had the center chanel turned down soooooo low and the surrounds up soooo high. OMG it was pathetic. Finaly during the Stones show (you could not even hear Mick) we complaned enough that he did some adjustments that made it a little better but it was still bad. I can't wait till I head home tonight so tomorrow I can listen my Klipsch.

Oh and there was this guy there that said he had been a profetional DJ since around the late 70's and he would not stop ranting about blose. I sat and kept quiet for a while but finally had to shut him up. I will say he did know what I was talking about when I mentioned Klipsch.

The DJ guy was talking about Ipod speaker systems with another guy and when I jumped in praising Klipsch they said they were going to check out the Klipsch ipod systems.

Damn it looks like I highjacked my own thread on the first post.

Steve

I too have noticed the blurry white lines during HD broadcast. And after watching quite a few College and Pro football games last year in HD. I can only conclude it's the broadcaster. I watch them all on the same TV (mine) and some games I see it, and others I dont. And it doesnt seem to be just one broadcastor. I've seen it on ABC and NBC. But not on Fox.

• Moderators

We never got the superbowl in hd but i did watch many games this season in hd and never seen what you are talking about. I think it's the tv ,could be LCD my tv is CRT and never seen that before,also i don't see the lines across the feild look bent as some have seen on other large tv's,don't know why though.

No..it's not the TV.. The wife and I were watching I think it was LSU college game, in HD, It looked great. Flip the channel to another college game, that was on at the same time in HD. And I could see the fuzz in the lines. I will say you could only see it when the camera was on the far away (wide field) shot. Once they cut to a camera on the field. The picture was perfect. Both games being broadcast were in 720P. Has to be the broadcaster.

I am getting very tired of compareing this TV to that TV and its also very confusing. everyone of course says thier TV is better than the next.

I couldn;t tell you how many magazines I have bought to get thier revues and comparisions but they never compair the TV's I am looking at against each other. Go figure.

Steve

I own a Fujitsu 52 inch plasma but rarely watch it. I got it more for the teens and I usually do music then watch teevee in the bedroom. Watched the stupid bowl on it yesterday and was again very impressed with the HD format and the unit itself. Use Adelphia HD cable and their HD boxes have failed many times, but, when working everything is and always has been spectacular.

If the jagged lines were while watching a DVD, I'd say it was a result of the processing on the DVD signal that was causing the stair-stepping, something in the deinterlacing process perhaps. However, don't know if that happens with HD broadcasts - it shouldn't. Anyone?

In my case, I watched the game using Comcast, tuning it in on my PC HD tuner, and projecting with an LCD projector. Lines were crisp and clean.

Well,

I have tried Two Sony 42" RP LCD TV'S and both were too dark, so I got a 32" Sony Straight

LCD.........I am truly Undwhelmed with the Pictures.......

So I am just going to go back to a 36" CRT/HD capable TV......... For me the extra cost

isn't being justified with a better Picture.

Glad someone else was noticing the squiggly lines on the Telecast! Whew- thought my eyes

were playing games on me!.........

ygmn

Technically anything over 480P is High Def. ESPN is 720. Fox (local Fox) is 720 as is local ABC. NBC is 1080i.

And if you read around, some people will tell you 720P is better than

1080i, at least for sports, and from what I've been seeing, I tend to

agree

Steve,

Over this last Month I've learned alot about LCD TV's and Cable. The Cable Co. I use is Charter,
and they aren't going to be getting HD in their Service (Terre Haute, IN), for some time.
The Cable repair man came over today and explained to me why my LCD picture wasn't an improvement. He stated that LCD technology is so advanced that it takes colors, and shows
every flaw in your picture due to the intensity of the Picture............
So for me, I took back my 1,799 32" LCD..........And I am getting a Sony 32" CRT/HDTV (For
the future)......for only 700.00..............

I would say downconversion is a factor here, but its hard to say.

The Mitsu TV (if memory serves, the WD makes it a DLP) is native 720p, and since ABC is also 720p there should be no issues in that regard. However, the cable box could be upscaling the 720p, outputting at 1080i and forcing the TV to downconvert back to 720p. My TVs native resolution (one of them anyways) is 1080i and I make my dish box send everything in 1080i as well (if its not 1080i it gets upconverted by the box). I've never experienced anything like you describe, but have had other issues such as horrible compression on standard def football games. All of the games I've watched in HiDef have been breathtaking and free of artifact.

As for my 50" LCD, I love the Picture Quality, however the black levels when watching DVD's are very poor. When switiching between HD signals, to DVD's and to playing the XBOX I often have to adjust the picture levels. Other than that I think the quality is great and would never go back to standard definition.

From my research before purchasing the LCD, you will NEVER (at least right now) get a better picture, clarity, sharpness than what you will get on a CRT. A dear friend of mine has the 40" Sony (4:3) CRT and his picture is far superior to mine, even in the Sony Store if you get a chance take a look at the 40 CRT compared to any LCD.

The decision has to be made by you, from what I hear Lcos has been pretty good as well as DLP, but I remember a few years back their native resolution was around 720p and the picture looked very nice.