New BEC Tweeters

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob, I don't want you to think I'm trying to pee in your Cheerios, but I want to throw something out here to consider. From my point of view, it's a good thing, not a bad thing -- though you might not be too keen on the possibility.

If you compare the earlier trace you posted with JC's RTA measurement -- you'll see they are very much alike (notice that your plot is marked off in increments of 10, while JC's is marked off in increments of 5). The similarity is especially surprising since they were taken in different rooms with different ways of measuring. What they both clearly show is that through much of the audible range the K-77-M is a bit more sensitive. The 105dB/2.83v sensitivity rating of the Eminence APT-50 was derived while on a plane wave tube -- when attached to a horn that's going to go down some -- and both plots seem to substantiate that. So, what I'm thinking is that if I'm a Cornwall II user -- I'm going to at least give the new tweeter a try. As far as the slight loss of sensitivity (compared to the K-77-M) in how it relates to the speakers you created the replacement for -- it's a non-issue. Lower distortion, superior dynamics and extension more than make up for it -- as the reported listening tests confirm.

post-3205-13819281740808_thumb.jpg

"To me that is a true tribute to PWK heritage ..keeping his designs up to date and relevant to what is available."

Not necessarily true. How to say this? Maybe F. Klipsch, J. Hunter, and R. Delgado feel that the best way to honor and pay tribute to PWK is to leave them the hell alone for the most part. There have always been "better" tweeters and "better" horns, and they were certainly around when PK was still actively engaged at Klipsch. They are what they are because he liked them that way. I don't believe there's been anything done by anyone on this forum that he didn't already do or try. It's really mostly a hobby with us -- but it was his life. So in the end, what you have is a fingerprint of his mind, an extension of his very self. Imagine those guys sitting around a table, and how hard it might be even to talk about changing them. It probably conjurs up the same kind of feelings that planning an adulterous affair might. We have the benefit of disconnect -- they don't -- they were around him for decades.

Maybe the answer is to offer a "substitution package" -- like options you choose from when you buy a new car.

What Dean has stated in this center paragraph is PRECISELY what I was told by Mr. Delgado in a private conversation while in Hope last summer. I think others present could relay the same sentiment. The mid horns were left alone in part as tribute to PWK, that his signature would forever be on HIS Heritage series of speakers.

That is the most significant reason why this line of speakers kept the 401/601 horns.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks. Quite an interesting insight from Mr. Delgado.

Dean,

Sensitivity issues aside, how do you get around the fact that the horns on the K-77 (CT-125) and K-79 are a different size? Another horn would have to be molded to address that size difference.

Bob Crites

Question for Dean: I've been using your Super

AA networks for a few months now in my LaScalas (& love 'em).

Would they need to be modified to work with Bob's tweeters?

Would be interested in opinions from others using Dean's networks with these tweeters.

Thanks!

I haven't seen the answer to this one... I'd like to know too 'cause I want both upgrades!

[:D]

he new CT-125 will replace a K-77 in every case and offer improved sound in my opinion. If the crossover is right for the K-77, it should be right for the CT125.

The CT-125 will allow lowering the crossover from the mid to tweeter, but certainly does not require it.

Now if the guys building the horns would just get them to me, I could start shipping these things.

Bob Crites

Question for Dean: I've been using your Super AA networks for a few months now in my LaScalas (& love 'em). Would they need to be modified to work with Bob's tweeters?

Would be interested in opinions from others using Dean's networks with these tweeters.

Thanks!

I haven't seen the answer to this one... I'd like to know too 'cause I want both upgrades!

[:D]

I have listened to the BEC tweeter with a pair of super AA's (thanks to a generous forum member) and the combination sounds very good.

It's a drop in replacement for the K77.

Thanks guys.

Kudret, No I meant the super-AA and BEC-Tweeter upgrades. I'm not up to modding the cabinet yet!

Bob, Please put me down for a set of tweeters. If you want,

perhaps we could arrange payment in advance so you can ship when you

get 'em. I'm in Canada, so shipping by USPS is preferred (UPS and

FEDEX charge brokerage fees). This is going to be a cool add-on.

Almost comical how diplomatic Daddy Dee and Bob have been with their comments regarding their comparisons of the Beyma and the Eminence APT-50. Now that I've had a chance to do the comparison myself I would have to say that in these speakers at least -- the little Eminence makes the Beyma sound like a big overpriced POS.

Thanks Bob!