New BEC Tweeters

I know I have seen some recent updates, and initial impressions, but I can seem to find any info via search, etc.

Was I just dreaming, or is a better tweeter on the way? I am having fits with the HF from my Corns (huge peak from 5-8ish and then south hard around 12K) and would love to have another options before getting too crazy....

I know Bob is not one to blow his own horn, but any updates or initial info would be great. Accepting pre-orders??

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I really thought I would have shipped lots of them by now, but just the 20 or so prototypes are all that have gone out so far.

The hold-up is the mold to make the horn. It was originally scheduled to be finished and producing parts (horns) on 3 January. Lots of things happened to slow it down including the mold builder having to go in for gall bladder surgery. When he got back to work from that, he found he had misread a dimension on the plans and had failed to allow enough clearance for the horn to drop out of the mold after it was completed. That put the mold mount back on the drawing board.

As of Tuesday 7 Feb, the mold builder said "Parts this week, I promise." I notice that this is Thursday and am beginning to look at that promise with a bit of skepticism.

Bigger,

I do have a list that right now has names on it accounting for 44 of the new tweeters. Email me if you want a pair.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

What mods would be required to use the new tweeter in a pair of B network Cornwalls? I already have replaced all the caps with Jensen PIO's, 2.0 and 4.0 uF values, a new solid wire Solen 12 awg inductor for the woofer and a P-trap (.10 mHy inductor and 3.0 uF cap). Anyone tried this new combination with Cornwalls?

Thanks in advance,

Don

FR trace of one of the prototypes compared to a K-77M.

Bob Crites

Impressive! So Bob, how did you achieve the flatter performance in the last octave? How do these compare with the K79 used in the later CW IIs? I'd love to see a comparison between the K79 and your tweeter!

I'd been listening to Beyma CP25 tweeters for a while with my Khorns before I got a pair of Bob's prototypes and was shocked to find that to my ears, the BEC tweeter beat the sound of the Beyma.

I figured that Bob's tweeter would be a slam dunk improvement over the K77 for which it is and a real deal, bullet proof, drop in K77 replacement.

Being more musical than the Beyma is a tough order because the Beyma can hold it's own with anything out there, IMO.

What I hear that is better than the Beyma is more realism reproducing the sounds of cymbal strikes and such as that. The BEC tweeter just sounds life.

That's my $.02. And I don't get a dang thing from Bob, other than good gear and good service.

Oh, yeh, one more thing. Since this tweeter is good down to 3500 hz, I have modified my type A crossover to lower the K55/tweeter cross to 4500 hz. Klipsch had already figured out that the K55 is beyond it's best behavior when it naturally poops out at 6000hz and changed the AK-4 crossover to this 4500 crossover. The mod was as simple as putting a single inductor in the squawker line. Bob kindly supplied the parts and Michael got me through the tutorial for idiots. The resulting sound, WOW, NEW KHORNS in my listening room. My wife, who could care less about gear, just listens for the enjoyment of music, even noticed the difference. Sweeet.

One word of caution, this crossover mod should not be attempted using a K77 tweeter. (unless you just want to need a new K77 diaphragm) Klipsch is able to accomplish this 4500hz crossover in the AK-4 with a sixth order extreme slope filter (or some such thing as DeanG explains way over my head) without damaging the K77. Anyway, it works great with the BEC tweeter because it will handle staggering levels of signal.

I had no idea that I was hearing distortion from the K55, until I wasn't hearing it any more. Trey was explaining to me about Klipsch discovering that and making the change in the AK-4 crossover. The result is, to my ears, a clear order of improvement, of sweet mid and tweeter performance that is detailed, clean, smooth, musical and a surprising step up for Khorn performance. Another surprise, the cost of the whole mod, tweeters and inductors is well under $200.

IMO, a very PWKesque kind of thing.

The fins are only to hold the phase plug in the

K-77. The new driver has his own phase plug so you will not use the

fins in the horn lens.

Good point... I guess i was wondering more on it's apearance in a

decorator heritage. IOW, if it would look like an aftermarket tweeter

ROb

The new horn will have the fins inside but not the phase plug of the K-77. The production horns will look like the prototypes from the front. Here is a picture of one of the prototypes. This one is installed in my Cornscala.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819281538078_thumb.jpg

I think Bob's measurements are kind by using the 77M, the 77V drops like a rock even earlier at around 12K.....unless I have a bad one or have heard wrong....

What value inductor do you need to roll off the mid around 4.5K?

I have the 51 mid and it goes nuts at 5-6K, up nearly 9DB, after being down around 4dB at 4K and very flat below that

The new horn will have the fins inside but not the

phase plug of the K-77. The production horns will look like the

prototypes from the front. Here is a picture of one of the prototypes.

This one is installed in my Cornscala.

Bob Crites

Thanks Bob... you really did think of all

the details.

I think Bob's measurements are kind by

using the 77M, the 77V drops like a rock even earlier at around

12K....

Noticed the same... i haven't seen any K77V curves which looked that good.

ROb