Opinions On CD Player(s) fairly quick please,.....

126mhz

I have a chance to get rid of some of my surplus audio gear to a local higher end HiFi shop that specializes in lots on used gear. He has the following CD players available and it looks like I could make a decent deal on one them. I really appreciate your input.

Cal Audio DX-2 CD player $195

Monarchy DT-40A CD/LD player $375

NEW Music Hall MMF CD-25 (stock no upgrades) $495

G & D UCD-1 CD Player $695.

I realize my price range is limited but if anyone thinks one of these CD players is really worth having I'd like to know.

As always thanks,

Regards,

About all I can say is I had a Music Hall Maverick SACD player and I didn't like it at all. The display was small and difficult to read. The upsampling feature absolutely sucked.

Hi,

My personal opinion is to get the newest CD player out there! Digital playback systems have advanced considerably lately. Even the cheapo, brand new Sony's w/ SACD capability are amazing.

Don't buy anything too old. Your'e better off buying a new player and simply tweaking it (decent cables, vibration isolation, etc.) yourself.

My $0.02,

Pete

Do you guys realize how rare this site is among audio sites? I have looked all over the net to find a place where common sense fans of music can get REAL world information from people who are not paid to promote spending large coin to get great sound from audio gear.

I love this place,...thanks guys!

Bill,

I picked up a Yamaha DVD player that was a steal used...it was originally over one thousand dollars...it was missing a remote and I wanted to use it as a CD player anyway so...I bought it...I just listened to it against my bargain basement but highly talked about Toshiba SD3950 which is a generation newer...this was a $59.99 unit...the Toshiba BLOWS THE YAMMIE AWAY! The Yammy is nice but I prefer the Toshiba...like they said...get a newer one cuz the technology changes too fast...

Bill

Bill,

I picked up a Yamaha DVD player that was a steal used...it was originally over one thousand dollars...it was missing a remote and I wanted to use it as a CD player anyway so...I bought it...I just listened to it against my bargain basement but highly talked about Toshiba SD3950 which is a generation newer...this was a $59.99 unit...the Toshiba BLOWS THE YAMMIE AWAY! The Yammy is nice but I prefer the Toshiba...like they said...get a newer one cuz the technology changes too fast...

Bill

Now you hae really made my day,....I think. I have three (3) Toshiba SD3960's that I picked up dirt cheap at Best Buy because they are 24/192 upsampled! I have been very happy with mine because they sound so good and they were so inexpensive.

They take awhile to load once you have put a disc in and they take a bit longer than I am happy with to switch between tracks if you manually skip between tracks, (rather than just letting it play on it's own track by track) but it's been a small price to pay.

Thanks again,

I've got a few players around the house.

A Carver TL3100- doesn't sound the greatest and has the "tic-tic-tic-tic" noise once in a while.....but DAMN that thing just won't die!! (cir. -1987?)

McIntosh MVP-841- sounds great works better (a little slow on reading a disc and always has been) but a bit expensive even on the used market.

Magnavox- one of those VERY cheapo $39 CD/DVD players from Wal*Mart. Works good but sounds horrible. A lot of the functions can only be done with the remote.

Hi,

My personal opinion is to get the newest CD player out there! Digital playback systems have advanced considerably lately. Even the cheapo, brand new Sony's w/ SACD capability are amazing.

Don't buy anything too old. Your'e better off buying a new player and simply tweaking it (decent cables, vibration isolation, etc.) yourself.

My $0.02,

Pete

Pete is absolutely correct about the newer units.

The technology and production on DACs, clocks etc has gotten much better. Unless there is some anomaly about output impedance or voltage, mid-price players will sound indistinguishable from the expensive stuff.

Good luck,

-Tom