Upgrade center or rears?

windycitylion

Here is my system.

ADCOM GTP digital preamp

ADCOM GFA 5503, 3 channel 200w per channel main amp

ADCOM GFA 535, 2 channel with A/B speaker switches, 60w per channel for

the rears

My main speakers are the original Fortes I bought in 89.

KV-3 center speaker

KSW12 subwoofer

My rears are KSB1.1 bookshelfs

As you can tell I patched this system together over the years. Adding subtracting and upgrading slowly.

Where do you think I will get the most bang for the buck when upgrading?

The weakest part of the system are the rears as I see it. How much difference can I expect from an upgrade there?

The center is not rated for the same wattage or sensitivity as the Fortes so I was thinking this is the logical place to start.

Is there any issue with having Tractrix and older style horns in the

same system? The rears are Tractrix but of course they only play a

small role in the system.

How crucial is having "back" speakers? I could upgrade the rears and use the KSB's as backs.

IMHO the weakest part of your system is the center. Is is not a good match for your Fortes. Not only that, but 70% to 80% of the sound is going to come from it most of the time.

FWIW I had a KV3 for a while between two Heresys. The best thing I ever did was replace it with a Heresy. The sound is much better. And now sound pans seamlessly from left to center to right.

matching the speakers is always a good start.

but you are in the same situation I was in - I had a pair of 86' Fortes and a mish mash of the rest. I went from a KV-2 to an Academy center, and would suggest that would be a good first move...

nothing wrong with the Fortes, and another pair in the rear would be an easy fix. heck, buy two pair used, and jump to 6.1...

how about a subwoofer? that is a great bang for the buck upgrade, and would make a real difference in your HT.

I'd get a sub first, then an academy, then a second pair of fortes for rear surrounds.

oh, I already did.

IMHO the weakest part of your system is the

center. Is is not a good match for your Fortes. Not only

that, but 70% to 80% of the sound is going to come from it most of the

time.

FWIW I had a KV3 for a while between two Heresys.

The best thing I ever did was replace it with a Heresy. The sound is

much better. And now sound pans seamlessly from left to center to

right.

I spent some time here on the site comparing my Fortes/KV3 and the new

RC52/62's. You guys are right, the center is the weak link right

now.

As far as a sub I have a KSW12 so that is handled.

The RC52 or 62 would be an upgrade and would make an imediate difference for sure.

The question about mixing the old horns with the Tractrix horns still is hanging out there though.

The RC52 or 62 would be an upgrade and would make an imediate difference for sure.

Ummm, not exactly. An upgrade on the center would be to find one that more closely matches your Forte's, and that is not going to be a new speaker of any model. What you want to find is a single Forte (if you have the space, this would be the best center) or an Academy (pricey, but can be found reasonably if you're patient).

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Academy seems like the best alternative to bring my center up to snuff and match my Fortes.

Believe it or not I have a line on one already not far from where I live! The internet rocks!

If this guy will seperate the speakers he is selling as a system what is a good price for an Academy?

I see one on e-bay that is at $315 with 7 days to go. Hopefully I will

be talking with him this afternoon and I will need to shoot him a fair

price. It has a black cabinet and that is all I know other than it

works.

If the Academy is overpriced, look for a KLF-C7. I can't directly compare the two, but a KLF keeps up with my Cornwalls pretty good and is now set up with a pair of LS and it's not bad. Should be fine with your Forte's.

And yes, those rear KSB's will have to go, but save em for a den or bedroom. I love mine. They're pretty durn smooth at lower volumes.

I think the guys mean that you should get a bigger sub, but I think you're fine for now. I agree that center and rears are where you should spend your dough. Exactly matched speakers is always best, so I like the 6.1 suggestion of getting two more pair of Fortes- that'd be Awesome.

Contact dtel for info on Forte Surround system, he's got one.

Michael

If the Academy is overpriced, look for a KLF-C7.

I disagree, while the Academy is expensive it is the "right" center for C/F/Q. If you don't have the space/ability for another forte up front then an Academy is the way to go. Look at all the time/money you have in your system to date. Then consider the difference of a couple of hundred dollars. As a bonus you will alway be able to get your money back or more if you later decide to get rid of the Academy.

I say bite the bullet, save your pennies, eat mac and cheese for a few months and do it right. Hold out for the Academy. Don't settle on a different center or you will always wonder what am I missing.

BTW the recommendation of Chorus up front with an Academy in the center and Forte rears is a fantastic one. I had it for a while. Very nice. Also tried C/F/C with two Academies in the rear. Better yet. But if you could do that then you obviously could do 3 Fortes up front.

Keeping the center as close to the same speaker as the fronts makes perfect sense to me.

The center will have to reside on top of my TV so it will have to be a shielded speaker.

I am on the hunt for an Academy.

There was a complete system up on e-bay with an Academy and Chorus

II's. I e-mailed the guy and told him to get a hold of me if he

wanted to separate the system and sell me some of it. He never got back

to me and his auction ended with no bids.

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks a bunch, I'll keep you up to

date on what happens. If anyone knows of an Acedamy for sale let me

know!

Just to throw another option on the table, I have a pair of Forte 1s as mains and I use a Heresy 1 as a center. It matches very well and you could buy TWO pair of Heresys for what the Academy has been selling for. This would give you Forte mains and Heresy surrounds and a single Heresy for the back in a 6.1 setup. This is basically what I have and it sure sounds sweet!

EDIT:

I just saw your need to place the center on top of your TV, I did this with a Heresy on a 32" RCA TV and as the magnets on the Heresy were far enough back in the placement of the speaker on the shelf/bridge I made to fit over the TV, there was only slight interference with the monitor. It was only visible on an all blue screen as a slight red shift in the lower left corner of the screen. Not bad really, it was just barley there.

Keeping the center as close to the same speaker as the fronts makes perfect sense to me.

There was a complete system up on e-bay with an Academy and Chorus

II's. I e-mailed the guy and told him to get a hold of me if he

wanted to separate the system and sell me some of it. He never got back

to me and his auction ended with no bids.

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks a bunch, I'll keep you up to

date on what happens. If anyone knows of an Acedamy for sale let me

know!

When it comes back up buy the entire set. My setup is similar to what rplace ran, but with Quartets at the back instead of Fortes, and it does work very very well. So either do what has already been suggested and get the set, or get an Academy by itself and another pair of Fortes or a pair of Quartets for the surrounds and you'll be in great shape.

Remember that the match is the main thing. If you intend to keep your Fortes, and it sounds like you do, then you need to match them. A KLF-C7 only makes sense if you mean to replace your Fortes with KLF-10/20/30s.

OYABTW, colterphoto1 knows this, but he likes to see if he can get a rise out of the timbre police. [;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Revisiting the timber issue...

With my Fortes as my mains, which is a better sonic match to them, the Academy or a single Heresy?

I will be getting a new TV and it looks like a Heresy is small enough

to go under the TV using a custom stand my buddy will build.

So while another Forte isn't an option the Heresy is.

I am actively watching ebay for a new center. The Academy is going for

a lot of money. If the Heresy is as good or better a match I will go

that direction then.

I will have to stay with small rears for now as space is an issue. When

I move into a new place I think I will upgrade the fronts and use the

Fortes as rears or just get another set of Fortes.