I am a Wuss :(

sunburnwilly

I finaly bought an SPL meter from the Rat Shack a couple of weeks ago , the digital one . Well I fired up some music and had it at what I would consider Loud . Hmm , a little over 90 db on the peaks , 40 on my processor . Egging myself on I progressively turned it up . When I am in a mood , 100 db peaks would not be uncommon . So then I aired it out to 115 db peaks and OMG it is like a Force of Nature !!! Fine for showing off , " bring your earplugs " , but over all a bit uncomfortable . Perhaps the first time I saw Judas Priest in 1981 was in the same ballpark . You know the scenario , loud metal band in a venue the size of a large high school gymnasium in my case it was the old Myrtle Beach civic center and the original Iron Maiden was the opening act , " Killers Tour " . Still the volume setting was only on 29 , plenty more to go !!! So to all of you out there that claim you regularly enjoy listening to your system in the 120 db+ range I must officialy proclaim you as NUCKING FUTS !!! Then again maybe I am just a Wuss . Dang , I guess this should have been a poll ....

So to all of you out there that claim you

regularly enjoy listening to your system in the 120 db+ range I must

officialy proclaim you as NUCKING FUTS !!! Then again maybe I am just a

Wuss . Dang , I guess this should have been a poll ....

I don't think anyone takes it into the 120db range esp RMS... that is dangerously loud.

I do enjoy raising the volume every once and a while... can reach into

the teens for that occasional song... BUT... this happens mostly

because it is easier the hit those SPL with low frequency material than

with classic rock.

In other words a 40Hz tone at 115db does not sound anywhere as loud as

a 2000Hz tone at the same volume... This, BTW, is the basis of

the Fletcher-Munson Curves...

ROb

Though the thought of 120 db is cool, so is owning a ferrari and going the claimed top speed. Sadly both events never really happen often. When was the last time you maxed your regular car engine out? or the last time you maxed the reciever. But when was the last time you maxed out your iPod? Probably more often then you think. Headphones damage ears I think more since there that size factor of how a tiny speaker can hurt your ears and the other is trying to drown the outside (subway/bus) noise with your noise (err music). But anyways the government claims 115 db should not be heard for more then 30 seconds a week. Past 120 there is no safe factor. So I guess a firealarm would probably be the 30 seconds .

Seriously your smart... and be aware differnet movies, different cable stations, etc., are at different levels too.

Watch "War Of The Worlds" with me... with 7 matched Klipsch La Scalas.... A Sunfire Theater Grand IV pre amp and a 200x7 Sunfire Signature Amp, with 2 Klipsch THX subs KSW 120's and the matching KA 1000 amp.. No need for bass shakers... trust me, your there... you feel it chest pounding too.. I jump at some of the ligtning bolts every time.. LOL

You want more???? Oh My Goodness, Light listening is in the 50's.... 40's is great for most movies music 90% of the time... And 30's,,,, 20's.... Yes, Nucking Futs!!! I have done it.. The Sunfire/ La Scalas play material effortlessly too.. BUT like you said.. "Wow, too much!"

Look, even if you could stand it for a longer period... Why would you?

A great HT is about the dynamics... and the seamlessness of the timbre. If you like it this way, you can have chest pounding crescendos... and whisper quiet soft passages.... Trust me, you have to experience a perfectly matched system like this.. It is amazing!

I max my cars engine, brakes, suspension, etc. out on a daily basis [:D]

Triple downshift into 2nd, tap the limiter, 3rd, up to 80, 85, into 5th. Another hundred HP would have been nice.

no heel & toe, no double declutch.... tisk tisk

btw the ruf 2nd gear would be able to hit 85 btw soooo hahahha

Me too [;)]

I start to get uncomfortable around 95dB, though that number is slowly

increasing [:@] I usually listen around 70-80dB, sometimes even lower.

Of course at live concerts you're looking at volumes of 110dB+ (ya,

even when I'm mixing too), but it doesn't seem as loud as when at

home....I think it has to do with the fact that the noise floor is

louder and the volume increase is more gradual so the ears have plenty

of time to plug up with earwax.

I max my cars engine, brakes, suspension, etc. out on a daily basis [:D]

Triple downshift into 2nd, tap the limiter, 3rd, up to 80, 85, into 5th. Another hundred HP would have been nice.

You might max it out, but I think the original question meant topping out. I last topped out one my cars about 15 months ago at night (not smart, but I was lucky that 1. I didn't get caught, and 2. No other idiot was around to cause any problem.).

I agree with Woodog, It's fun to show off how loud and how little distortion my system is CAPABLE of, but I'd never really listen that loud.

Absent booming car stereos, my home has a very low noise floor, due in part to hydronic heat system. 65-75 db for music is usually fine for me. -20 for usually suffices for movies on my Yamaha 2400.

Only occasionally for say a DVD concert do I crank it to -10 and really rock out. Maybe a half hour once a month or so. I just can't tolerate it.

Michael

btw, slightly off topic. When I was in Junior High School in the 70's , our team was the Eastwood Eagles. They had a stuffed Eagle in the trophy case. Our class held a contest to name our mascot, the Eagle.

By an overwhelming majority the student body voted to name it 'Wuss the Eagle', It was decades before administration caught on and made them change it.

M

Only occasionally for say a DVD concert do I

crank it to -10 and really rock out. Maybe a half hour once a month or

so. I just can't tolerate it.

Funny...that's about how often we hang out. Ok, so maybe every other month...[;)]

I think the only time I crank my system is when I have company

over....and not because I'm trying to show off. Seems everyone wants to

know how loud speakers will go.....So up goes the dial and my little

puny sherwood 50W reciever doesn't get beyond 75% before the guests

can't handle any more [H] Gotta love klipsch!

I just like to crank it hard after playing moderately loud levels for a while. The capper is to crank the snot out of it for about 2 songs and go "wow!" Then, turn it off.

Be careful Jeff, I know a guy who did that and the sudden vacuum in the room caused his head to collapse!

M