How much will RF7s take?

havingitall

I have 4 RF7s and 1 RC7 all powered by a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp (405X5). The front three are biwired with the voltage output going to the LF and the current output to the HF. The sound is outstanding. However the RF7s are rated at 250 RMS with 1000 Watt Peaks. I would like to know if anyone has experience with the power handling abilities of the RF7s. I watch a lot of movies and love my music as well. I just installed the Sunfire CGS two days ago. I'm trying to get an idea how far I can go before blowing them up. I do not have to worry about clipping from the amplifier. All wires are 10 guage. Preamp is the Sunfire Theater Grand II. I have taken them up a bit already and I have heard no signs of stressing or distorting. Your thoughts please.

Hasall,

Welcome to the palace of loons.

Don't worry about hammering the 7's. They will handle more power than I can stand to listen to them without DeanG crossovers. I have been known to run up the volume on bast*rd Cornwalls at times. My comment is not about large SPL's, but about quality. Check him out. His RF-7 filter mods are worth every penny.[:D]

Terry

jheis wrote the following post at 02-18-2006 4:49 AM:

...voltage output going to the LF and the current output to the HF... Huh?

I don't know much about this but I have been reading about Nelson Pass Current Source Amps recently (as opposed to voltage source). Maybe someone here can sum it up in a nutshell. I forget teh technical difference.

Chris

Sunfire amps have a 1 ohm resistor in series on the current source outputs for the front channels. The voltage source outputs for the same channel have no resistor in series. Bob Carver recommends that the high frequency driver(s) be hooked up to the current source and the low frequency driver be hooked up to the voltage source for best results.

The manuals for the Sunfire amps explain it all. The manuals are available on the Sunfire site.

Bill

• 1 year later...

RF7's are very robust, I have the RF3II, and have dumped 550 wpc ( clip lights coming on ! ) and hurt a tweeter after about a half hour. ( found out the treble boosted itself in the AVR settings )

This was with music of a dynamic nature. The average power levels were around 5 wpc, with short term peaks exceeding 550 wpc.