k-55-v drivers with k 700 horns

KT66

There should be no question about compatability of the K-55-V with the K-700. Here is the flyer for an old Heresy which shows them used together.

As you may know there were several versions of the K-55-V. One has "push on" automotive type terminals. The other has solder terminals. The latter uses a two piece phase plug which is supposed to be a bit better.

The -V is actually a rebranded Atlas driver.

Best,

Gil

Heresy I Flyer.pdf

The K-55-V is an Alnico made by Atlas. The K-55-M is a ferrite (or sometimes called ceramic) made by Electro-Voice. These both have the same type of spin-on throat coupling which is a short length of 1 1/8 inch threaded pipe.

The K-400 (metal) and K-401 (plastic composite) (used in K-Horn), K-500 and K-501 (used in Belle), K-600 (used in Cornwall), and K-700 (used in Heresy (I) all will take the K-55 of any vintage. So the -V will fit on your K-Horn midrange.

The 1 1/8 inch coupling is very much a standard and thus drivers by other manufacturers will fit on those horns.

Further, those Klipsch drivers will fit on many non-Klipsch horns, e.g. the EV SM-120.

I don't know very much about the Heresy II except what I see in the sales flyer. It uses a K-53-K driver but the flyer does not say anything specific about the horn or method of mounting. My guess is that it is not a 1 1/8 inch spin-on coupling but, rather is a plastic type bolt on. So the K-55 type will not work there. Someone on the forum can tell us with some certainty.

There is still the question about whether crossovers used in old and newer K-Horns are compatable with the K-55-V and K-55-M. It is my understanding that the characteristics of the various crossovers and midrange drivers are similar enough that there will be little or no problem.

Best,

Gil

That's an early K-55-V on a K-700 horn using the industry standard screw-on mount.

It will work in any Heresy I, K-horn, Belle, La Scala, Cornwall

and maybe some of the Rebels and Shorthorns and with crossover changes

in a Heresy 1.5 (~'82 to ~'86 models). The Heresy II used a

different horn AND driver.

KT,

There is much discussion over the years hear about favorite, and disfavored, crossovers. Much of it actually goes to the tweeter circuit.

Of course this is all good natrured and I wouldn't want to make any enemes.

It would be interesting to see the measured effects of all the different drivers and crossovers in an anechoic chamber. I've never seen it. Maybe the factory has, but they are not talking.

A lot of crew experiments and some of those have strong opinions on the results. Please let us know what you find.

FYI there are two contenders for the title of most sophisticated crossovers. One is ALK's Extreme Slope. You can build those yourself, or order from Al K..

The other is the AK-4 from the factory. No schematic is available and you pay big money.

I like to point out that PWK liked the A type crossover of his own design. It is minimalist. In the midrange there is just one cap and the autotransformer. He bypasses the inductor in the woofer. The tweeter crossover is just a 2 uF cap. I do this to be mischevious!

So, what is the sloop?

Smile,

Gil

Interesting to hear that the newer 55-M drivers are to be preferred over the older 55-V. Somewhere in these threads, going back a while, vintage drivers were deemed more desirable on the grounds of quality and/or sonic performance or just foundless nostalgia- hailing from those halcyon days before bean counters took over engineering decisions.

One thing to remember is that the K-55M is a discontinued driver and there is no diaphragm made for it now. The K-55V is still in current production as the Atlas PD-5VH and has diaphragms readily available.

To repair a K-55M, one has to modify a K-55V diaphragm.

Bob Crites

I'm sure the K-55-M diaphragms will be available from Klipsch for a while.

The current line uses a K-55-X, aka Atlas PD5-VH; back to the future!

I once had one pair of La Scalas with type AA networks and the late,

2-piece phase plug (that gives more output between 4.5k and 6k and thus

flatter to 6k) and a later pair with Type AL networks and K-55-M

drivers. We have debated the -V vs the -M for several years

around here, like Gil says, I could use them interchangeably in my La

Scalas with ALK networks. I did not notice much diference in

balance between them.

The Type AL crossover is flawed and part of this equation, but I prefer

the 2-piece version of the K-55-V to the -Ms. This version of the

-V is known by its solder-terminal connections. The -Ms MAY be

smoother, but somehow did not sound as real to me.

FWIW, I also have a tendancy to like the sound of the -V and Type AA

since that is the configuration I first heard in K-horns.