NOSValves VRD's and JMA BlueBerry Xtreme are in the house!

Mike Lindsey

Well... both of the packages arrived on the same truck yesterday, and because of this I decided to take the afternoon off so I would be there when they showed up on the doorstep. Like clockwork they appeared around 1:30 in the afternoon.

The amps were packed in a monstrous box (double boxing inside) and weighed 70 lbs. I thought for a second that Tyler threw a couple of rocks in the box and mailed them out that way, but when I opened the individual boxes I couldn't have been happier. He did a tremendous job packing them. He sent me 3 sets of Power Tubes (EH 6550's, the Valve Art KT88's and a 2nd set of 6550's that have no distinguishable markings). All other tubes were stock, and he threw in a 2nd set of Sovtek 12AX7's.

As for the amps, what can I say. They look beautiful in Maple and they weigh a ton! [:D] I couldn't wait to get the tubes in (went with the EH 6550's) and bias them. Tyler forgot to send me the screwdriver and sent it out priority mail the next day, but luckily I had some jeweler screwdrivers and was able to dial all the tubes to .720 in pretty short order.

I then unpacked the BlueBerry Xtreme (great packing also) and thought it looked beautiful in the Maple box as well. It took all of 5 minutes to insert the stock tubes and put the cover back on. I then fired everything up waiting for something to explode, and when it didn't I felt relieved. There was just a slight hint of noise coming out of the speakers, but I was somewhat used to the Scott 299 doing that as well. Not sure what to attribute that to but it was so minute I didn't even pay attention to it.

After letting them warm up for about 45 minutes (boy can those amps get hot) I was ready to put my first album on. At present, I only have a turntable for 2-channel listening and it's a Dual CS-5000 with Shure V15V-MR. I know there are better out there but this combination can still sound pretty good.

I selected an album I have been playing a lot lately and am pretty familiar with it. Chicago V side 1. For those that are into Chicago and do not have this album, I highly recommend it. The recording is phenomenal! Of the 600 plus albums in my collection it is in the top 10 for recording quality.

OK... now to the review. Can you say "Hell Yeah!!" [:D]

This new combo is a whole different beast than my Scott 299, which is quite good itself. The bass from the La Scala's never sounded better! Everything was tighter, with more clarity and detail, and definitely more air around the instruments and vocals. I was floored! Dialogue (Part One and Two) was stunning! I couldn't get over how clear it was, and how deep the bass was.

I had the left and right gains on the BBX set to about 2:30, and the volume was straight up at 12 o'clock. This was producing over 100 db at the listening position and we weren't even pushing them. I next put on Heart's Dreamboat Annie. This recording is in my top 2 or 3. It's a German pressing and they spared no expense on this one. Magic Man sounded unbelievable, and the bass in Crazy On You was staggering!

Next came one of my all time favorites; Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow! Again, just simply superb! It is as if I am hearing these albums for the very first time. I have been listening to music for over 35 years and I have never heard it sound like this before. I am totally in awe! I have spent the last 24 hours (20 of them awake) just spinning vinyl, and hearing my collection for the first time.

I am currently listening to the amps in Triode, and will continue to do so for awhile until I get used to what I am hearing. I will then try them in Linear and see which of the two I prefer. I am also going to go with the stock tubes for awhile before I start trying some NOS tubes. I do have a couple of Mullard 5AR4 Rectifiers, and a nice quad of Telefunken 12AX7's that I will swap in the amps one day (the BBX takes one as well). Not sure about the 6550's or the 6DJ8 on the BBX, but those decisions can be made later. All I know is I am enjoying them as they are.

A big shout out to Mark and Craig for putting out such fine products at a truly remarkable price point! Thanks, guys, for making my year!

Mike

Mike, Glad to hear you have things up and running. I feel right at home with my Blueberry and MK III combo.

You are right about Craig and Mark's work! Outstanding guys to deal with! I'm off to see if I have the Chicago

album you mention. Just got a bunch from Travisc,and have yet to go through them all. Enjoy!!

Larry

Mike,

I have to pat you on the back....I was absolutely sure I would be calling you to help with setup! Glad to hear your enjoying your new toy's.

So you have listened to them strictly in Triode so far? Boy are you in for a surprise.

Oh and quit lying to everyone Lascala's have no bass[;)]

Craig

Mike,

Welcome to the VRD/BBX club!! Awesome, ain't it?

I prefer ultralinear and not by a small margin either! Try it and let us know which you like better.

Once you get used to the sound, get a REALLY good tube in that V1 slot in the BBX. That is the most important tube in the phono section and the improvement can be significant. Wait a while though. Your ears get used to the sound fairly quickly so you want to make improvements in stages. Doing it all at once takes half the fun out of it.[:D]

BTW - I've had Chicago V sitting on my shelf for 3 years and I've never listened to it. I might have to clean it and take it for a spin tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Congrats!

This new combo is a whole different beast than my Scott 299, which is

quite good itself. The bass from the La Scala's never sounded better!

Everything was tighter, with more clarity and detail, and definitely

more air around the instruments and vocals. I was floored! Dialogue

(Part One and Two) was stunning! I couldn't get over how clear it was,

and how deep the bass was.

=======================

One of the best combination of amp, preamp and speakers I have ever heard. Even with the wimpy LaScala bass. [;)]

Mike,

I prefer ultralinear and not by a small margin either! Try it and let us know which you like better.

Once you get used to the sound, get a REALLY good tube in that V1 slot in the BBX. That is the most important tube in the phono section and the improvement can be significant. Wait a while though. Your ears get used to the sound fairly quickly so you want to make improvements in stages. Doing it all at once takes half the fun out of it.[:D]

BTW - I've had Chicago V sitting on my shelf for 3 years and I've never listened to it. I might have to clean it and take it for a spin tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Congrats!

Hi Gary,

Play the Chicago album... you won't be disappointed. Hopefully, it is the original pressing.

I will continue to listen for another week or so in it's current configuration before trying the ultralinear. And will play that for a week before making the next change. If I'm not mistaken V1 and V3 are 12AT7's... I know very little about this tube. What are you using there?

Mike

Mike,

Congrats!

Hi Gary,

Play the Chicago album... you won't be disappointed. Hopefully, it is the original pressing.

I will continue to listen for another week or so in it's current configuration before trying the ultralinear. And will play that for a week before making the next change. If I'm not mistaken V1 and V3 are 12AT7's... I know very little about this tube. What are you using there?

Mike

Mike,

Thanks to a VERY generous forum member and friend, I'm using a Telefunken ECC801S in that slot. V3 isn't as important for phono. I have a Mullard CV4024 in V3 and a Seimans Cca in the 6DJ8 slot. I use an Amerex Bugle Boy in the 12AX7 slot (prefered over a Telefunken for its clarity). The key is to find nice, quiet tubes but the 801S completely changed everything.

Personally, I wouldn't wait another 5 minutes before going ultralinear. It just plain sounds better and there's no reason not to switch.