I can't believe its already BBQ time

customsteve01

Well today is my last day before vacation. Yeah!! 13 days away from work[:D][<:o)]

Tomorrow moring we head down to the Reliant Stadium parking lot to finish setting up for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest. The party starts on Thursday and goes thru Saturday night. There are roughly 350 plus teams participating in the contest. Each team is part of there own little private party. It kinda works like this you can wander around in the parking lot but have to have some kind of invite to ge into each tent, once your in a tent the food and booze are FREE, yup, I said food and booze are FREE. [:D][<:o)] Alot of people get pretty creative in trying to get into a party and as always the girls always carry a couple of invitations on them all the time[:o], if you catch my drift[;)], kind of a Mardi-Grais atmasphier.

Any way we will stay down there till Sunday (we have a motorhome we park in our tent next to the pits) and will consume massive amounts of food and booze and get next to no sleep. The team I am on will cook around 3000 lbs of meat. (Brisket, Ribs, Saugage, Chickin, Beans, and Kabobs) We have some Cajun friends that come down and cook up 30 gallons of gumbo on Friday night and 30 gallons of Jambalaya on Saturday. YUMMY, I bet the dtel's know about that stuff...

Wish us luck in the judging, even tho we mainly do it for the party and not to win a prize but it would be cool to win.

Here is a link with a little more info.

http://www.hlsr.com/events/wcbbq.aspx

and a picture of our pit. Which is a tandom axle gooseneck trailer.

post-16814-13819281941634_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Oh yea my pick of the two is gumbo, I have never seen it made the same way twice everybody seems to make it different, never met one i never liked thou.

But as i was reading your post my mouth was watering, I love smoked meat,Brisket,pork,turkey almost anything thats been through a smoker.

I have seen these competitions on tv these people get very serious about there cooking. I like smoke flavor and bbq so much i am building a large smoker/bbq pit, I started with a 6' long propane tank and built a firebox on one end and a upright smoker box on the other, with thermometers on the bbq part and on the smoker part.

I wanted a good design so i copied some i got off websites, and of course if you want a good pattern the best come from Texas. I have a few more changes to make ,the exhaust on top of the smoker box was a little to small, about 3'' it didn't let out enough air/smoke to keep the fire working correct. The air intake has a damper is on the firebox door and exhaust damper is on top of the smoker box, but the one on top could be left open and it was not large enough to keep a correct intake on the other end. As you know the wood must burn just right or it leaves a bitter taste. Also on the part between the firebox and smoker box i want to add some propane burners so if i just want to bbq something fast i don't have to build a fire,also propane in the firebox to light the wood. This sucker weighs about 1000lbs so i put it on wheels so it can be moved around, dragged around. Haven't worked on it in a while really need to finish it. Sorry for the long post, sounds like a fun weekend would love to go to one of these shows one day thou .

dtel,

The pit your building sounds nice. I need to get a welder so I can make one. they are way too exspencive to buy.

check out this link if you want so more ideas, these guys have some cool options on there pits, I like the sliding racks.

http://www.gatorpit.net/

You will notice that on the customer page The Stockyard Smokers Cooking Team is listed.

I only get to cook on "Sammies" pit once a year. It has some things that are great and a few that are a PITA. one nice thing is there are 5 seperate compartments so you can have different meat on in different areas all at the same time and just regulate the temp for what ever your cooking in that compartment. One problem is that the two front compartments tend to not cook as evenly as you would want, the back gets too hot, and being a big pit it takes a while to get it heated up, but it is insulated so when you get the temp up it doesnt take much of a fire to keep it hot.

I look forward to this weekend every year. I wish 5:30 would hurry up and get here, I REALLY don't want to be here right now.

Steve

I will take some pics and share what I can[;)]...

I will say that we get up and start with Bloody Mary's, eggs, bacon, and bisquits then pull off the meat on the grill thats been cooking all night and when thats done we switch to beer and I really don't think I go any time during the day without an open beer[:o][:D]

Now don't get me wrong here we do pace ourselves its not like we are pounding them down. We are working, pulling meat from cooler, rubbing meat down, putting it in the pit, monitering the pit, cutting up cooked meat, and over and over and over. We can fit about 35 full briskets on the pit at one time. There ia some time in the evening that we have and thats when we cruise around and check out all the other places and visit friends and drink more[<:o)]

We have a great time.

Steve

Its a bunch of my old Fire Department buddies. The wives usually show up on Saturday night, so we have plenty of time to do some looking.

The hottie situation you ask?? OMG as long as the weather holds out and they are not all bundled up in coats and such it is unbalievable. Maybe some of the other people from around Texas will chime in on this. You just have to see a girl in Rocky Mountains to be able to understand. OMG OMG OMG now you just ruined me for the rest of the day got me thinking about girls in Rocky Mountains.

Come on some one else explain this to m00n.

m00n, remember the picture of Stacy Keibler that SunburnWilly posted yesterday? Well Rocky Mountains make just about any rear end look that good. Its kind of scary tho all these girls waling around strutting there stuf.

Steve

• Moderators

Looked at the website, very nice pits, might have to borrow a few ideas.

That is very close to what i am building, they are a lot more fancy than mine but i only have a couple hundred in mine. I book marked the site because they sell some accessories i may want to add. They are expensive but will last a lifetime and the bugs have been worked out already. Me i am to cheap ,and many years ago worked in the shipyard so i can weld and burn and like building things like this,especially if it involves FOOD.

By the time you get home after this weekend you will probably smell like smoke/bbq yourself,does the wife go also. Have fun

dtel,

They are a little pricey is right, did you check out the PFD file catalog. The pit on the home page is only $45,000.00[:o]

Yes by the end of the week everything smells of smoke and BBQ and I don;t want to even see BBQ for a while.

The wife comes down usually one night and we go cruising around the other tents haveing a good time. She doesn't get into staying down there for the whole time.

Steve

I really don't know the ingredients in our rub. We have Zach's Spice Company mass produce a rub that one of my buddies came up with. They gave them the ingredients list and they package it in 25 lbs boxes all we do is call them and give them a recipe number. I have not cooked a pork shoulder so I don't know if it would take longer I would think it would be less time since the bone helps transmit the heat into the center.

We use the same spice for the ribs just add brown sugar at 50/50.

Here is Zach's web page for there stock rubs,

http://www.zachspice.com/shop.php?Call=show_products&cat_id=18

Steve

Here is what it should look like when you cut it. notice the smoke ring around the outside. I would expect that you know your meats being in the food service field.

Steve,

That looks fabulous.

The Houston event sounds like it would be great fun. Also, your team is cooking one heck of alot of meat.

If you see my friend, Dave Klose, give him a hug from Arkansas.