I can't believe its already BBQ time

customsteve01

I haven't done any brisket but when I do pork shoulder, it takes 12

hours. Tri-tip is about 4 hours and so are my ribs and chicken. I use a

smaller back yard smoker but I am gathering parts to make a nice

trailer mounted rig. I have the trailer (ex military generator trailer)

and am waiting for a shipment of 3 to 4 foot diameter pipe to arrive to

make the smoker from.

The top of those fenders hits you about at the bottom of your ribs when

you stand next to it! Those are full sized SEMI truck tires[:P]

[img

src=/idealbb/files/miltrailer.jpg]

post-14862-1381928355096_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal Blacksmith,

Thats one monster of a trailer and I bet it will make one great pit hauler. I take it your into the metal fabrication and I bet you will end up with a really cool pit. I am wanting to make just a backyard smoker and I hope I will be able to enlist the help of a machinist friend of mine.

Dee,

Is this Dave friend of your going to be at the cook off as well. If you can steer me in a direction to find him I will definently say hi for you.

Steve

Well its about 30 min before I get to head out of here, Yeah vacation. I'l let you guys know how we did next week sometime, probably Sunday. I'll have a drink for each of you during the week.

I wish the DJ used Klipsch, he uses Peavey tho. Talk to yall next week.

Steve

Steve you may want to rethink that drink thing . I checked , and presently theres more than 19,000 of us , hope you have a strong liver and bladder !

• Klipsch Employees

The guy that is doing the BBQ at the Sat party in Hope for the june trip, has been in that type of contest for the las 25 years or so. IF you come you can expect to see just that BBQ cooked on site.

My dad and I had a BBQ joint in Hope for a few years. Our big cooker has as 6 X 8 cooking surface and a 4 x4 x3 fire box.

We could stack 25 trukeys in there at one time.

Well. Steve I must admit that I am jealous. It'll be months more here in Michigan before we'll take the tarp off our outdoor kitchen and fire it up for the season. I posted a thread about it last July when we built the kitchen on our deck. It's nothing compared with your trailer rig, but we sure got some good use out of it last season. I do some smoking too, but on a much smaller scale. I have a Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smoker that makes some great jerky and squaw candy or cornish game hens. Man, I'm getting hungry just typing about it. Have a great time out there!

A photo of the outdoor kitchen just before we finished the molding and trim....

post-10177-1381928359633_thumb.jpg

Hey Picky, wasn't' there an open invite for a Picky BBQ last year when you built that contraption? Tell us, whats the house specialties up there? (this'll get ya thinking about the season- heck just brush the snow off and fire 'er up!)

M

Yep! You're right, Michael. In fact, later this spring I'll be starting a thread for our planned Klipsch BBQ here at our place. DizRotus and I discussed this over dinner a couple of months ago. I think it'll be held in July. Members will be welcome to come check out the new Heresy 3's in the garage and to sample some of the hot sauces from my collection on my grilled dogs & burgers. We'll probably have a pot of chili going, too. We'll also give those interested a chance to check out our Small House Theater in the basement. I hope we have a good turnout.

As for specialties I have tried thus far, I've had great success with the following:

Lime grilled Shrimp with ginger

Filet Mignon done to order(without the need for bacon wraps to stay moist)!

New York Strips with crumbled bleu cheese and portabella mushrooms sautéed in garlic-roasted olive oil

Omelets to order (love that new side-burner!)

Rotisserie Chicken (love that rear infrared burner!)

Aha! Perfect thread for my question..... so today I was at the grocery store and saw that 1.6pounds of ribs were on sale for $6, say no more! And I was walking around for a sauce and picked up a bottled "chipotle sauce". My first try at making ribs, but man it turned out amazing! So tender, juicy and lathered in sauce.

So now that I have decided to make ribs a large part of my weekly student diet, I'm looking for recommendations for good sauce. I've never made any before, so I have no idea if theres a way to buy some store bought product and spice it up. And by the way, I LOVE anything hot and spicy. Me and my roomate are hot sauce freaks, although our collection doesn't compare to Picky's. Me and him go through a bottle of tobasco like a gas guzzlin' monster truck. He even purchased an ounce of this hot sauce called The Answer which cost him $68/ounce. That thing is supposedly like 1500 times hotter than tobasco, its tasty! Any recommendations for delicious rib sauce anyone? :D And also, any tips or tricks to cooking the ribs? I put them in a pot, add water bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 45mins. Then grill it on high for 10-15mins layering on the sauce and turning it often. Any tips to cook it better? Somebody should've convinced me to cook ribs earlier, I'm SO hooked after tonight. *still lickin' the fingers clean*

First: Steve. Sorry, I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I always feel compelled to discuss Hot Sauces whenever anyone brings them up. [;)]

Here is one of my little secrets that comes from years of collecting sauces:

As ranjith mentioned, he loves Tobasco sauce (which I affectionately refer to as "Baby Food") but he wants to gas it up a bit. And, as Jay481985 so astutely pointed out, there exist sauces out there whose sole puropose is to provide heat without flavor. Well, here's one of them:

Pure Cap (as in "Pure Capsaicin": The ingredient that makes peppers hot) - This stuff will do the trick! It's only $9.99 and can be bought on the web from peppers.com, one of my biggest hot sauce resources.

Now, don't laugh at the eye dropper! This stuff is SERIOUS! They will require you to sign a release waiver to purchase the stuff, which is a common practice among extreme hot sauce sellers. This is NOT FOR DIRECT CONSUMPTION! It is a food additive, not a hot sauce. If you add a drop or two to whatever substance (sauce or chili) you are preparing, then you must stir it thoroughly! It's not for topical use on tacos, for instance. It must be added to a liquid such as sauce or chili. I could not be more serious abou this. It adds pure heat not flavor..

How hot is this stuff? Some of you may be familiar with the Scoville Heat Index. It was invented back in the 1920's by Dr. Scoville and it assesses the resultant effective heat on a subject's tongue as left by a spicy food or pepper. For example, the average Jalapeno pepper markes in between 5,000 and 10,000 Scoville Units. A Habanero pepper is from 200,000 to 300,000 units. Those of you familiar with the very tasty and very hot "Dave's Insanity" know that Dave's comes in around 350,000 Scovilles. And finally, while it is far from being the hottest sauce around, Pure Cap comes in at 1/2 Million units! Try ONE or TWO DROPs in an average bowl of chili and stir it very well. I guarentee you will be reaching for the crackers and water real soon! Have fun, but BE CAREFUL! This is serious stuff folks! Some chefs use it in their restaurants back in the kitchen to heat up their meals.

By the way, ranjith: If you really like the taste of Tabasco, please consider trying Frank's Red Hot. It's available just about any place and it tastes similiar to Tabasco but I think it tastes better, is thicker and has less of a vinegar taste than Tabasco. It's about the same mild heat level. If you enjoy mild sauce, my #1 mild sauce pick is Cholula, which can be easily found. Again, peppers.com has just about any sauce you are looking for. FYI: I have no affiliation with peppers.com.

post-10177-13819283712152_thumb.jpg

Picky: Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to checkout peppers.com 1/2million scoville is quite hot. My roomate and I share "The Final Answer" hot sauce which is 1.5million scoville units. Its HOT HOT HOT but we love it. I tried my first Dave's Insanity at a restaurant just 2 weekends ago, and yummy! I'm gonna order myself a 3-pack of that for sure. I usually add the Answer hot sauce to store bought sauces and marinate meat and such. I dont have a dropper, I find that dipping the end of a toothpick in the bottle and then stirring it into the sauce does the trick ( at 1.5million units, its quite evident). We have a 4L jug of Frank's but I'm not a big fan of its flavour although my roomate is in the same boat with you, he likes the less vinegar taste. I've never heard of Cholula, I don't think its available in any local grocery store. And oh, you have the best hot sauce collection/display when I first saw it I was glued to it for a few mins...ok maybe it was 10mins... well...maybe more...but a nice job!

I came across the Blair's 16 million Reserve, and can I say WOW!! 16 million? Its for display purposes only though, not for consumption. Only 999 were produced, and they retail for $249 on peppers.com but I have to wonder ... one of those 999 sold must've landed in the hands of a nutjob who was compelled enough to try it? yikes

And I'm still looking for suggestions for a good sauce for cooking ribs, anyone?

Pure Capsaicin hahah you guys are crazy...... Capcasin or however it is

spell is the main ingredient to making mace, not the medieval type but

the self defense type. Most civilian types are 5% by volume. Police

tend to use 10-15% and the FBI actually mixes 20% and teargas together

to knock an assailent down. Most cilvian types must hit the eyes to be

fully effective but the FBI is actually absorbed into the skin. Though

because of my ethnicity I can withstand a hell of alot of spice and

even as a joke one type been sprayed by a friend with some mace. It was

only 10 dollars..... hahaha Actually I was ok but my eyes just welt

shut. It wasn't as bad burning to my eyes and nose as I thought or so.

It lasted about 2 hours though and my nose was runny. But all and all

it was ok. Also I tasted some too it wasn't too extreme but what is

extreme to a person that tends to eat wasabi straight.

Yummy! Looks good enough to eat.

Didn't realize the cookoff was this coming weekend so I guess you won't

be making the DC meet on Saturday, March 4th. Oh well, maybe I

overpromised a bit when I said you'd be there with haunch in hand.

Not to worry, some Kraft's barbeque sauce and some of those instant

steaks they sell in the freezer section, and they'll never know the

difference.[:D] (er, unless they read this thread: tu Diablo!)

Have fun!!!!