La-Scalas are in the house

ancientdude

First: To any man that is married that owns these, compliments to your wife. These things are freaking huge! (Thankfully I am still single but I know that my girlfriend would never appreciate these...).

2. These are LS-BR - serial numbers: 8705896 and 8705903 (does it matter that they are not consecutive? what does that mean?) (from 1987, I presume?)

Type AL crossovers. Any good?

Even though I bought these at a fair price from the first owner, I still feel like I have taken someones pride and joy away! So emotional right now...haha, can speakers do that to you?

Yes, the thread is worthless withou pictures...to come!

Awsome,your gonna love em!!!

Now you can get married and she has to accept them because they come with you!

I owned a pair of 86's and liked them.Many people here dont like the AL crossovers.I have a pair of 98's at present and prefered the AL to the AL-3's in these.BLASHEMY they say...just listen to them before you make changes.

I found that a good sub adds to the great sound of these.IMHO

Enjoy,Greg

I had the train-wreck-looking AL's in my LSBR's and swapped them out for BEC's standard design AA/A's. It was like taking a blanket off the front of the speakers. When I swapped DrWho was over here, We did only one speakers, put them SIDE BY SIDE and did an A/B listening test. We both agreed it was night and day. Took like 15 seconds to make up my mind.

Congrats on the score. Welcome to upgradeitis!

Michael

The AL's in my 86's were lifeless compared to the ALK's. Major upgrade for the money spent. Do it, and you won't regret it.

As for the bass remarks about the La Scala's... it's all in the amplification. When I was driving them with my Denon 4800 or the Scott 299, they just couldn't deliver it with any authority. Now that I am driving them with the VRD's/BBX it is just a whole nother world. So much bass that you sometimes wish there was a knob to turn it down (but not really).

For the WAF appeal, these can look real nice if you have any woodworking skills. BTW, have I told you how much I love my La Scala's... [:D]

post-6388-13819283648702_thumb.jpg

The AL's in my 86's were lifeless compared to the ALK's. Major upgrade for the money spent. Do it, and you won't regret it.

As for the bass remarks about the La Scala's... it's all in the amplification. When I was driving them with my Denon 4800 or the Scott 299, they just couldn't deliver it with any authority. Now that I am driving them with the VRD's/BBX it is just a whole nother world. So much bass that you sometimes wish there was a knob to turn it down (but not really).

For the WAF appeal, these can look real nice if you have any woodworking skills. BTW, have I told you how much I love my La Scala's... [:D]

Ditto!!!! Congrats. I love my 84's which BTW do not have sequential S/N's either. First off just enjoy these for a while then.... its time to upgrade. IMO the AL networks are the worst crossover ever put in the La Scala. My advice get a set of Al K's Universal replacements or even better his ESN's. Changing out the networks to a newer design will dramtically improve thier already awesome sound. Next if you want to go WOW in steps get a set of 511B's or Al K's new trachorn 400, and then try a set of BEC's new tweeters or maybe some 2404H's. You'd be amazed in how much detail is in the last "5%" when you start to improve.The S/N not being sequential is of no consequesnce, La Scala's are not grain matched so it does not matter.

Great to hear! I'm right there wit'ya... My Heresy's arrived today, and my La Scala's are arriving Monday! [D]

Regarding the comments about the x-overs, thanx for the thoughts. If this site had a workable seach facility I wouldn't be asking, but can anyone provide linx to producers of after-market x-overs for the La Scala?

Thanx for the x-over info Bob and J.

Sorry, don't mean to jak the thread. Just wanna add, I set up the La Scalas today and moved the Heresys to the rear of the room, pointed @ a 45degree angle into the wall to provide a wide | diffuse | ambient surround sound-field. Played excerpts of two concert DVDs. Woa...! [Y]

ancientdude , yes, I'm married... [;)] When she saw them in the garage after I took them out of the boxes, her words were "are you kidding me? are you serious? this has to be a joke!" ... HAHA! I told her that's what she gets for not wanting to spend time downstairs in the real multimedia room (she has her own den she loves under the bedroom with a tiny/crappy Sony system in it.)-- I'm now doing what I want in the real multimedia room.

It is good that she has a room of her own to play with and you have yours with La Scalas.

That is the way to do it so you are both happy.

Last year when I went over to a forum memembers house he had a great home theater/music room. The wife told him to design a room so he could put all his stereo stuff in a room away from the rest of the house.

It worked out great for them and if I ever get married it is what I will do also.

It is good that she has a room of her own to play with and you have yours with La Scalas.

That is the way to do it so you are both happy.

How true. Though there's no escaping the sound waves eminating from the La Scalas, Heresys and my M&K THX subs... anywhere! [;)][6]