Be careful when you snipe.

3dzapper

last night, there was cute this little 2A3 SET amp from Hong Kong on ebay with very low bids so I set up a 5 second snipe for $130. I figured the amp would be fun and was worth $200 shipped complete with tubes. No problem right? Not quite. The bids were being recorded in GB Pounds. My bid wound up as 130GBP plus 70GBP for shipping and insurance or $226 plus shipping. Total $ 348. Still not expensive but more than I thought and when the bride finds out..........

bl-2a3b_resize.jpg

bl-2ae0003_resize.jpg

Rick

It could've been worse. Nonetheless, it wasn't the sniping that was the problem, but the confusion over the currency. Your willingness to share the mistake is admirable and might help others to avoid repeating your mistake. I make plenty of mistakes, with this warning, I might not make this one too.

One of the nice things about sniping is that you make your decision to submit the most that you are willing to pay, without the pressure of the auction. It also protects you from watching the bidding go beyond your maximum bid and then being tempted to increase your maximum.

It's probably more likely that anyone could overlook the currency issue when manually placing a last second bid. At least with sniping, you should have plenty of time to recognize that the auction's currency is in pounds, Euros, etc., rather than US$.

Funny you had to mention this mistake, 2 weekends ago I was watching an auction for an LP and with about 10mins to go I decided the price was affordable enough (of course its affordable when the price is in british pounds and not canadian dollars, duh!). But with about 2min to go I suddenly realized it was in pounds, and soon enough the price went upwards of what I was willing to pay. phew!

. . . . . and somewhat related is the difference betweeen a comma and a period. Last week I was bidding on A'gon, from the office while I was trying to multi-task so I could go home, so somewhat distracted. I bid 37,75 but didn't catch that I hit the comma rather than a decimal point. Operating on autopilot while confirming my bid I hit the "confirm" by instinct at about the same time I realized it said "3775.00" . . . . . . wow, talk about a tightening of the sphincter muscle . . . . . ultimately able to contact the A'gon people and was able to reduce my bid to the reserve amount . . . .

Dizrus hit the point I was trying to make. In the data entry section of Auctionsniper just typed 130 meaning, to me, dollars. Since the auction was in Pounds the 130 meant Pounds to the snipe engine. it is relieving to see that I am not the only innocent taken in by the allure of a percieved "bargain".

Wow Marty! You would give me that many Bolivars. It is hard for me to decide what to do. How much is that in British Pounds? I think the exchange rate is 79 P to the dollar. Near as can come up with is 99,205 Zambian Dollars.

Rick