new La Scala II - anybody buy or hear them yet

mbajner

seriously looking into buying a pair

would like responses on those that heard them

from what I remember (over 20 years ago) the La Scala lacked bass (a lot)

so is the II's that much better in this department?

I like the looks and would get walnut finish on them

I had the opportunity to listen to the new LaScala last fall at the factory in Hope. They do sound very good and while the bass is more robust than before, they still face the same physical limits on that bass bin.

The new cosmetics are very nice and is a huge improvement on the looks of the speaker. The HF section matches the Khorn HF and is actually an independent unit from the LF. It just nestles down on top of the LF.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/688599/ShowPost.aspx

Yes I have recently. They are on floor display at Georgia Home Theater.

They sound good and look good. Wasn't able to look at the network it uses because the back is completely enclosed. The "newer" sound is good with imaging and detail. They don't have that "forward" characteristic that I am used to.

jc

• 3 weeks later...

my update on this. I called Klipsch and asked them to send me veneer samples for the LaScala II. A few days later, received a small box from Hope containing veneers on 3/4 mdf board. the veneers are Walnut, Cherry and Black. I was leaning towards the Cherry from the pics on the Klipsch site but after seeing these samples the Walnut does look good too. Do not care for Black speakers.

Still have not seen or heard them yet. Working on my local dealer into getting a demo pair.

I second Daddy Dee all the way. I thought they sounded wonderful at Hope, a very strong contender that was a definite cut above the Cornwall III (so is the price). The frequency spectrum is very well-balanced, not over-bright at all. Beautiful, too.

The bass is very strong right down to its cutoff. I think the key is, if you're looking for subterranean frequencies in movies, the bottom notes of the string bass and guitar (down to 41Hz) or the bottom half-octave of a 16' pipe organ (54-33 Hz), you may miss them and might need a sub. If you're not looking to hear those extreme notes, I think the LaScala bass will be very strong and satisfying indeed. I believe there is a special clarity and coherency to the La Scala sound.

Not true. Only if you set the sub wrong. Mine is set to cut in when needed. Your obvious disdain of subs is all fine and well, but to pay them no credence is foolish. Have a drink.

To say one has to have a sub with Lascalas is silly. To you maybe!! but to many more people they serve music just fine. With a sub setup right they do very little! I've been there done it. With most music a Lascala will work just fine without a sub.

Craig

I can't argue that with most music they do fine without a sub. However, I'm happier with a sub than not. It just seems to give an overall warmth to the music, and I love hearing those deep notes. To me it's worth it to have one, and I don't consider it a weak link in the system. Note I said "system", not "speakers". It's pretentious to say the LS is better with, or without a sub.

You will still need a subwoofer if you want righteous bass.

This is what you said and its false! It's totally personal preference based and also dependant on the music you may prefer. I'm not against using subs with Lascalas at all I have one in my living room system although it does almost zero!! In fact I've switched it on and off for auditioner's many times and they could careless one way or the other with most music. But then I have my Lascalas placed properly and powered properly. They do very well on there own in both of my systems as many here can attest too.

Craig

Oh and one more variable that will determine if subs will absolutely be required is room size! The larger the room the more likely a sub or two will be required. Lascalas have very little trouble loading up small to moderate sized rooms with nice bass when placed properly. Get in a huge room and then subs can indeed be beneficial.

Craig

Oh and one more variable that will determine if subs will absolutely be required is room size! The larger the room the more likely a sub or two will be required. Lascalas have very little trouble loading up small to moderate sized rooms with nice bass when placed properly. Get in a huge room and then subs can indeed be beneficial.

Craig

Yep, big room...this was my problem. As long as I was listening to something like the Brandenburg Concertos no sub needed. Anything heavier than than that and a sub was necessary.

I have gone as far as going to my closest dealer and getting a price. A little too costly for me right now, so looks like I am going used La Scalas. Almost went for a new set of Cornwall III's in Cherry, not a bad price at all.

Take an honest poll and you'll find most LS owners run a sub. That's just the way she goes.

For 2 channel music purposes? I think your way wrong. For multi-purpose HT/music then maybe so........... A poll would mean very little for this type of question since we would have no way to know what type "HT or Music" the votes were coming from besides 99% of the voters would be from the nose in the air Khorn crowd [;)]

Craig

Hmm, you may have a point there. Anyway, what tubed amp and preamp do you suggest I buy from YOU to make my LS all that they can be? I'm serious, I think I'm in the mood to try some tubes. Let's say $2000-3000 for the pair, very adequate power (none of this 20 watt stuff), something to give me the sweetness of tubes and the slam of SS. I'll keep my HSU sub and Rega cdp for now. What'cha got for me NOS?

I'm with Craig on this one. I have my sub setup with my Belles, but I often turn the sub off for two-channel and they do just fine - especially with vinyl. More than fine actually.

JPM:

Just slightly over that budget (by a hair) - you need a pair of Craig's VRDs and a JuicyMusic Merlin pre.

Both outstanding designs and they would be brand spanking new.

You would never go back.

Carl.

Carl answered what my recommendation would be but it would be just a tad above your budget and definitely not a weak 20 watt variety[;)]. VRD's can and do move some serious air though the Lascala woofers but the preamp is an important factor the amps can not make something that is not presetned to them. The Merlin or a used Peach would be a great option.

Craig