Are the Led Zeppelin Remaster CDs Any Good?

mark1101

I picked up the 2CD set of LZ Remastered...has crop circles or something like that on the cover. I was just too lazy to burn all my single CDs and wanted just "the hits" for a top down road trip last summer.

My original CDs are the early/mid 80s fare just about the time CDs came out. The remastered set sounds way better then the same tracks on my old collection. Not sure what else is out there as far as gold, MFSL, etc. but at the very least this remastered set it better.

Hope this helps.

I picked up the 2CD set of LZ Remastered...has crop circles or something like that on the cover. I was just too lazy to burn all my single CDs and wanted just "the hits" for a top down road trip last summer.

My original CDs are the early/mid 80s fare just about the time CDs came out. The remastered set sounds way better then the same tracks on my old collection. Not sure what else is out there as far as gold, MFSL, etc. but at the very least this remastered set it better.

Hope this helps.

Your kidding right?

How much do you want for the early 80's LZ cd's? I might take them off your hands.

If they say Europe on the spines or they were manufactured in W. Germany I'll take them all.

Edit, or if they are made in Japan like the picture below. Red, teal, or greay works.

post-10480-1381928395756_thumb.jpg

IMO, the answer to the original question is without a doubt, the early pressings. Avoid it if it says remasted by Jimmy Page on the back.

Again, IMO, the remasters were mixed with the play back too loud which made them bass shy at normal levels.

Thanks, this is what I was wondering. Best Buy has an awesome selection (just about all of them) and I believe most say remastered by Jimmy Page.

It is hard to find The Song Remains the Same. I can only find original versions, no remasters.

I have to believe the original versions would be pretty bad on CD. I had hoped the remasters would be better.

I have the original Physical Grafiti CDs and they are pretty noisy.

I like the originals better as well. I have an original of Zeppelin II, a late 70s one I believe that I picked up at an used store couple years ago. It was in mint condition, its marginally better than the remastered. I can't tell the difference much in my system, I'm still a newbie. But on my roomate's dad's system, the difference is quite audible. First thing that comes to my mind is better bass.

Hope this helps.

Your kidding right?

How much do you want for the early 80's LZ cd's? I might take them off your hands.

If they say Europe on the spines or they were manufactured in W. Germany I'll take them all.

Edit, or if they are made in Japan like the picture below. Red, teal, or greay works.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24192&stc=1

All I have at work with me is LZ III. The spine says:

A2-19128 Led Zeppelin III Atlantic

The back says Manufactured by Columbia House under license. It has a barcode

The CD itself has red atlantic logo and "Made in USA bu WEA Manufacturing INC."

I see nothing about Germany or Japan.

I bought them all about the same time. Anything I am missing?

And to answer your question I was not kidding. I have always thought they sounded dull and noisy. Lately if I am listening to Led Zep it is on Classic Records 200g LPs. They kill my CDs. I'll have to give the remastered CD a spin tonight and see if I agree with the too-page-ish sound.

Give me the lowdown on the german/japan CDs...very curious.

BTW, you picture does not show up.

All I have at work with me is LZ III. The spine says:

A2-19128 Led Zeppelin III Atlantic

The back says Manufactured by Columbia House under license. It has a barcode

The CD itself has red atlantic logo and "Made in USA bu WEA Manufacturing INC."

I see nothing about Germany or Japan.

I bought them all about the same time. Anything I am missing?

And to answer your question I was not kidding. I have always thought they sounded dull and noisy. Lately if I am listening to Led Zep it is on Classic Records 200g LPs. They kill my CDs. I'll have to give the remastered CD a spin tonight and see if I agree with the too-page-ish sound.

Give me the lowdown on the german/japan CDs...very curious.

BTW, you picture does not show up.

I reloaded it as an attachment instead of a link to another website. Does it work now?

It is a pic of an early Japanese pressing probably early 80's. You can see the manufacter info on the bottom of the disc.

I generally shy away from record club stuff because you never know what you will get. They will sometimes remaster things on their own and who knows what source the tapes came from. (Note, not so much an issue anymore as it was back then.)

Europe on the spine should be the same matering as the early W. German pressings (see example below) even though it was actually pressed in the US. No UPC's would put it in the mid 80's at the latest. I'm currently spinning a Zep IV early US press with UPC, probably late 80's. [:D]

Attached a sample W. German press. As a neurotic collector I'd rather have the painted version even if it sounds the same. [:$]

post-10480-1381928396016_thumb.jpg

Strabo, pix shows up fine.

know that look of painted teal CD well. Will have to check if is my zeppelins or not.

My III for sure does not say W. Germany on the bottom of the disc. The logo and compact disc logo across from it look the same.

I would think bits are bits on digital music. I understand club stuff not being very collectible, but is the sound quality the same on CDs from the same "era"?

Thanks!

I have the first box set; 4 discs; After playing it on that new fangled thing, a cd player, I sold all my LP's, never to spin a disc again. I thought they sounded great. A 2disc set soon followed with the songs that weren't on the first box set, and that is all the Zep I have. The Remastering sounds great to me, and no ticks, and pops like on LP's.

If you have a multidisc player you can program them like original LP'S

play list, so no need to buy more disc's you already have them plus some bonus songs. Awesome stuff. (No live stuff, all studio)

Strabo, pix shows up fine.

know that look of painted teal CD well. Will have to check if is my zeppelins or not.

My III for sure does not say W. Germany on the bottom of the disc. The logo and compact disc logo across from it look the same.

I would think bits are bits on digital music. I understand club stuff not being very collectible, but is the sound quality the same on CDs from the same "era"?

Thanks!

Bits is bits in the digital era but these were originally on analog tape and the early cds were most likely a dump of the tape through a AD converter with very minimal if any tweaking. In other words, unfutzed with, or as close as you will get to the sound of the original recording warts and all.

I'd rather have the un "fixed" version because you can't undo the fixing once it's put in there, but that's just me.

I haven't heard them all and maybe there are better but I have heard a couple of the remasters vs the unremastered and I preferred the latter.

the problem with the page versions are that he not only remastered (which did result in very nice sound quality) but also remixed, this changes the sound entirely so that some of the songs are seriously different sounding (not good IMHO).

I have heard comments that since Page mixed the originals this is a valid rework, getting us something that sounds as he would have wanted it to if he had access to this technology back then, kind of a directors cut. however I do not like classics tampered with.

clean it up by remastering from original tapes, ok but not mixed differently..ymmv, tony

the problem with the page versions are that he not only remastered (which did result in very nice sound quality) but also remixed, this changes the sound entirely so that some of the songs are seriously different sounding (not good IMHO).

I have heard comments that since Page mixed the originals this is a valid rework, getting us something that sounds as he would have wanted it to if he had access to this technology back then, kind of a directors cut. however I do not like classics tampered with.

clean it up by remastering from original tapes, ok but not mixed differently..ymmv, tony

Who better than Page should remaster and remix his songs if that's

what he choses to do. He knows best what he wants the songs to sound like. I think he did a great job and he nailed the sound. The 4 disc box set was $49.99 and worth every cent. The Page Mix sounds fine to me. It just made great music Greater. Jimmy Page put together a nice package of Zep's best songs, presented in a box, with booklet of good photo's, and nicely remastered discs, and a fair price. I've never heard a complaint about it. Even the second box set is of the same quality. I've never heard a better box set, no filler, all classic Zep.

Just my opinion.

I could not agree more, FrankPhess, this DVD is one of the finest music dvds I have heard both sonically and muisically. IMO a must for Led Zepplin Fans. Any LZ CD will have a hard time competing with the powerful combination of visuals and music.

obviously, I'm in the minority here. I have all my Led Zep LPs from the late 60s and early/mid 70s which I bought new when they were released. Although I'm as big of a Zep fan as most, I was always dismayed by the "muffling" of the sound of the first three albums..and well, disappointed. As one of the last people my age to finally make the switch to CD, I was probably most amazed by the sonic differences between the first CD transfers/releases and the later "remastered" versions. I MUCH prefer the latter, as it shows all the details of Plant's voice..I do notice Page's guitar work a bit tipped up, but I really like what has happened to Plant's vocals.

But I'm usually in the minority..go figure.

Steve