Marble / Granite tiles for under speakers

RTTR

I've checked both Lowe's and Home Depots tile flooring department looking for 24x24" marble or granite tiles to have cut to 20x14" for under my F-3s, but it seems the largest of any tiles they sell are 18x18", I never asked them if they could order 24x24 tiles. Do any of you know where I could get 24x24 tiles? I haven't checked local tile stores. But that's probably where they'd be.

The reason I want them is to protect from stuff hitting the bottom of the speakers like a vacuum, and they are pretty cheap from what I saw at Lowe's for granite 18x18".

Try looking for a local guy that stocks and cuts granite for builders, some may specialize in just granite and marble. Could probably get pieces like that from scrap ends.

What kind of prices do you think I'd be looking at for that?

Bob

I don't understand the acoustics of how they could, but i've never tried it. If I read a recent post correctly

by Leok, it might make a sonic improvement. Sure is a lot of trouble so I think i'll pass.

Have you considered butcherblocks instead? I've read somewhere that maple actually helps the overall sound quality of your loudspeakers than does marble, granite, glass, and other hard woods. I also don't understand the sonic improvements (if any) of using anything under your towers. My loudspeakers are spiked and sitting on a bare concrete floor now, but I've had so many different loudspeakers on both the concrete floor and when my room was carpeted that I just don't recall if any one arrangement had any sonic benefits (maybe I'm just tone deaf and can't hear the difference...who knows). I really just want to raise my towers up about 5" higher to bring the tweeters more at ear level...if the sound also improves by doing so, all the better.

Bob

I don't understand the acoustics of how they could, but i've never tried it. If I read a recent post correctly

by Leok, it might make a sonic improvement. Sure is a lot of trouble so I think i'll pass.

Well, I've heard that if you want to try it without harming the floor, you can put pennies inder the spikes. From what I gathered, they are more for making the speaker solid when there is a carpet by making the speaker more rigid with the floor. That's all. The rest is just funny business.