Picked up a little Harman Kardon amp for my new office system--anyone know this model?

Allan Songer

Just got this on ebay. I was looking for a nice little integrated for my office--I'll be using it with an old Rega Planet and a pair of KEF 102 monitors I've had sitting around for years--maybe I'll start looking around for some little Klipsch speakers instead! It will NEVER be played loud!

Anyway, I bought this one because I have never owned a 6V6 hi-fi amp and haven't had very many Harmon Kardon units over the years. Plus, it looks really clean and once I build a nice walnut case (in the style of a Marantz 7/10B case) it will look great in my office.

Does anyone know anything about this amp? The price was certainly right!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9701618975&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

02_1.JPG

20_1.JPG

Allan,

I rebuilt one A-300 a while back I don't remember how it sounded but nothing negative comes to mind. I thought I had a schematic for it but I can't find it on my PC it must be a paper copy which is way harder to locate with my filing system[;)] I'm not sure what voltage the amp places on the 7408's so be careful trying 6V6's in it (watch for that glowing plate syndrome). 7408/6V6 relationship is basically the same as 7189/6BQ5 uprated voltage and plate dissapation. 7407 = 350V/14 watt, 6V6GT = 315V/12 watts.

Craig

Good buy Allan, i was considering bidding on the same unit, but my wife vetoed that, "just how many amplifiers do you need". she has a point. I owned one a good few years ago and sold it when i left the UK, a nice sounding amp,i'm sure you'll be pleased with it

Gary,

I would LOVE a pair of Heresys, but alas they are too BIG for my office. I need something tiny and that's why I'm going to try the KEF 102s. I bought them new about 22 years ago for what what then A LOT of money for a pair of tiny little speakers--$650!!

Model 102

They are 92db sensitive, so the little 12 watt amp should be able to bring them to PLENTY of volume! The are only 10" x 13" x 8 1/2" in size and they sound really, really good!

What about a pair of RB5 MkII's? I heard a pair recently and they blew me away. Unbelievable sound for a bookshelf/standmount and they'd probably suit an office based system. Plus you could pick a pair up fairly cheap.

I have heard a lot of good things about these! Where can I hear a pair? Any of the "big box" stores in CA carry them?

At the moment they're selling in Australia for just under $AUS1200 brand new/boxed. They're runout models now, but some stores in CA may have some stock left. Otherwise it'd have to be used - good luck in your search though, few owners will want to sell them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I got the thing here last Wednesday and cleaned it up--cleaned/lubed all the pots, cleaned the tube pins and sockets and brought it up on a variac. The four ouputs are the original 7408s, the 12AU7 is a Bugle Boy branded HK, but the four 12AX7 are 80's Chinese junk--I'll have to dig into the stash and replace them after I listen for a few days.

I have a quad of NOS Brimar 6V6GT that I bought for my friend Joel about 8-10 years ago, thinking he had a guitar amp that could use them but I was MISTAKEN. I don't know if they would work in this circuit or not--what do you guys think?

I've got it hooked up to a Rega Planet and a pair of KEF 102 speakers.

So far (two mornings of listening between about 5:45 AM and 7:45 AM) I am impressed--this tiny little integrated with its tiny little transformers sounds great--plenty of bass and nice midrange clarity. I like it!

I have a pair of RB-5 (not the II version) in my current bedroom system. they are really great sounding speakers. they have ports in the back so forget bookshelf use or having them too close to the back wall. for someone who likes the klipsch sound I think these would be a better choice then something from KEF. tony