TUBES...what am I hearing???

SilverSport

Allan Songer: What a condescending bit of nonsense!!!r:

I thought I did a pretty good job of showing my distaste for tubes.

I got rid of mine in 1985 and was amazed how it cleaned everything up when switching to SS. I removed the tubes to the barn and garage where they are very happy.

JJK

I got rid of mine in 1985 and was amazed how it cleaned everything up when switching to SS. I removed the tubes to the barn and garage where they are very happy.

JJK

JJ.

I wasn't sure from your post if you have still got your tube gear in service. Maybe you have some you'd want to part with?

JJK

I know what you mean. I despise all HT recivers.

A conclusion without logic is just a subjective mental block.

JJK

Please enlighten us and the brand and electrical condition of the these nasty, dirty sounding tube amps and preamps that you experience before 1985??

Craig

Well, the one in the barn is a Motorola FM Stereo table model radio that still works fine with external speakers, very low fidelity. The one in the garage is an Admiral console with Girard changer and it works well but I kind of sprayed it with fine polishing compound accidentally when buffing out the 1969 Corvette. ( I know, just no respect) The Fisher FM-100b and 101 power derived center channel amp I gave to my buddy and he loves it. I can't remember what happened to the Ampex reel to reel or the old Heathkit speakers and tube stuff or the AR turntable with the Shure V15 cartridge and Pickering cartridge. When I was in Greenland we used to buy Fisher stuff by the pallet. (Had a deal with them 50% off with APO packing in styrofoam packing crates.) Anyway, I always wanted a Crown DC-300A but could never justify it price wise so by that time SS was there. (Yes, I was weened on tubes). So I do get comfort "bashing" all of the "tube" people with all of the knowledge of having lived through the beginning/end tube/SS controversy technical explanations of why one is better than the other.

JJK

JJKIZAK,

you have been helpful to me in the past and I appreciated it...I wasn't trying to say that Tubes are better than SS, just different...I'm glad you get satisfaction out of "bashing" all the "tube" people with all your knowledge...that's what makes you condescending...I guess if one were really BETTER than the other we wouldn't have both types would we...appreciate the "lesson" but anything positive you may have imparted was lost by your attitude...'preciate your point of view though...

Craig, the VRDs arrived late yesterday afternoon...sounding fine...sent you an email yesterday.

...now if I could only locate that SS gear so I can listen to some REAL music...[;)]

Bill

Thanks for your kindness. I also have not experienced any quality SS gear. Since my main thrust in life is video editing sound comes second in line. I have found out that 7.1 doesn't work in my living room nor 5.1. But the center channel and sub woofer does. So I ended up using the 7.1 Denon for the sub and center channel and the stereo Denon for the K-horns. Occasionally use the 5.1 for testing the video. I use the PLC-II setting for CD and DVD palyback or DDES. The PLC-II setting makes the center channel come alive without affecting the K-horns. Life is full of compromises.

JJK

The little marker lines are worn off on the inside knobs so I didn't see it since I am working around the house and using music in the background...while playing a couple more CDs, I noticed that the sound wasn't as nice as the last 2 days...took a closer look and...SHAZAM (said Billy Barty)...the sound and detail were back...sorry for the confusion...time for me to sit in the corner with my dunce cap on...AGAIN! Bill

hehe! Shazam? and he knows he's real identity, showing your age there [;)] Its all good though, Don't sit in the corner though, it sound better if you sat in the middle of the room, no dunce cap.

JohnWhite...dunce cap off and out of the corner...currently listening to Craig's VRDs in beautiful Cherry and a JuicyMusic BlueBerry Mk I I got from robster...sweeet! Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies) has such a beautiful, soulful voice...Bill

i don't post often, and some times when i start to respond to a tread i delete before posting. i'm often amaised at the things that is lifted up.are we trying to get validation from others about things we hear.

i know i was influence by all the talk of tubes, and quite honestly when the extensive debate about Scott& eico wasin full swing i too joined the forae. my scott sounded different from my then Acurus125 it(scott) lacked some of the mid and upper freq that the acurus has. i never did hear the eico but did find a dewald that although its bit beat up has a very nice mid and top end. that reproduces music the way i like it.

take a lesson from the guys who system has been the same for a long time they are doing what hobby is about .listening music. one day i was sitting alone and sad, a voice came out of the gloom and said cheer up it could be worse, so i cheered up and it did.

@silverfox@,...well I thank you for posting...I am not looking for any validation from anyone...Tubes are something I listened to back when...moved to SS but felt the siren's call back to Tubes...just trying to find the words to explain what I am hearing and feeling...wondering what I might be giving up or adding to the mix...those that have tried both Tubes and SS) and the thousands of systems out there can impart their "wisdom" (which many times are their own feelings and predjudices) to give me a a better handle on what might be out there beyond the horizon of my own chosen gear...I llike the SS gear I have but seem to like this Tube stuff better, right now...is this the "euphoria" effect or is it something more...many here have a broader knowledge and vocabulary than I do (and then, some don't) but by this give and take and trading of knowledge, experience and sometimes barbs, perhaps we learn...just a thought...Bill

I never really cared for tubes, except when used in guitar amps, but to

be honest - hearing Bill's KHorns driven by that little 14w Eico, I was

most impressed... Not saying it is better or worse than SS, but a

really nice sound.

Maybe the ongoing debate shouldn't be which is better, but rather which

song, album or CD sounds better on SS and which sounds better on tubes

to you, the listener?

Mark

I never really cared for tubes, except when used in guitar amps, but to be honest - hearing Bill's KHorns driven by that little 14w Eico, I was most impressed... Not saying it is better or worse than SS, but a really nice sound.

Maybe the ongoing debate shouldn't be which is better, but rather which song, album or CD sounds better on SS and which sounds better on tubes to you, the listener?

Mark

Type of music makes no difference too me it all sounds more natural with tubes on Klispch speakers.

Craig

Bill, I just took my tube amp out of my system for a freshing; which means back in goes the Marantz. Now as far as comparing the differences, there are lots of that. Which one sounds better, they both sound really good. I think they both have thier own world. Now with k-horns I feel that the tube sound is a nice step up from SS. The SS with k-horns is really in your face kind of music, it sounds a little jamed together, does not seam to have the seperation that tubes do. With my HPM 1500's the SS is the only way to go, they are power hungry and require alot of watts. The louder you turn them the better they sound, not the case with the tubes and k-horns. It's all in what you like, and we are all a little different and hear a little different; so everyone is going to have an opinion. Is it right or wrong you have to decide that for yourself.

Jay

Jay, I think you hit it on the head for what I am hearing...instead of the band all sitting together in my living room right on top of each other (SS), they are all about me playing (Tubes)...Listening to Eagles Hell Freezes...Hotel California righ now...beautiful guitars!...'Course beautiful Klipschorns, Craig's VRDs and Juicy BlueBerry...Thanks for your post! Bill