La Scalas or Belles?

jorjen

On sound quality ALONE? I would buy the LaScala, no doubt. I have the Belle Klipsch, but were purchased in part for the looks and more shallow cabinet. The LaScala is a more sonically correct rendition to my ears, primarily due to the midrange horn, I think - although I'm certainly not complaining about the Belles. The "trachorn" mod certainly has me curious as a long term consideration for those.

I think the LaScala is a "bang for the buck" champion, too - used versions are WELL worth the money. Belles cost a pretty penny used these days.

Dave,

When you make another trip over here or if you attend AKfest you will get to hear the Klappenhorn (trachorn) I will most likely run 100% stock Lascala's (with ALK jr. Networks) on Saturday and then wild 100% modified on Sunday.

Craig

Hey Craig, thought you might weigh in on the La Scala thing. Doin' OK, thanks for asking.

I am just trying to put a system back together that I can live with. After the Khorns, the RF-5's with stock XO's and the RSW-15 just are'nt cuttin' it for me. I was leaning towards the La Scalas about 80% due to the larger mid horn. Was considering the Belles from an aesthetic standpoint only. I will apparently have my choice of a nice pair of either when I reach the guys home tomorrow afternoon. Also, I already have a set of Belles that are torn apart in storage awaiting a refurb that could be two years away. I will post when I get back home tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Jordan:

As usual, your instincts are good. I would grab a pair of reasonably priced LaScalas which sonically have the better mid horn. Do a modest recap of the network or put a pair of ALK, jrs. on them. Sonically, you just have to do less with the LaScalas to make them perform nicely. Then, down the road, you can go whole hog with your Belles refurb if you want to.

Audible:

I did the Trachorn mod on my Belles and should have done it much earlier. Money very well spent. Al's mod is great, even from an aethestic standpoint. Wait to you hear Craig's.

Carl.

Dave,

When you make another trip over here or if you attend AKfest you will get to hear the Klappenhorn (trachorn) I will most likely run 100% stock Lascala's (with ALK jr. Networks) on Saturday and then wild 100% modified on Sunday.

Craig

Craig, When is the AKfest? could you say more about that?

jorjen,

You've gotten good advice on this. ..

On sound quality alone, the LaScala gets the nod because of the 400hz mid horn.

If you decide for LaScala, they are not as pricey as Belle's, so that's nice.

If there was a way to have a blind A/B comparison, I don't know how many people could tell the difference in sound.

If the looks of the speaker are important, then Belles are for sure the prettier.

However, if you are willing to spend the bucks on Belles, then you could be getting Khorns for the same price.. I've you've got the corners, go ahead and take the plunge. The sound is fabulous.

One more thought, the Belle HF is big enough to accomodate a K400 horn, if you wanted to do that, a slight crossover change would be needed to do that. The K400 is a little long for the cab, but if you didn't mind having the driver and horn throat sticking a few inches out the back of teh cab, you could have the best of both.

Dave,

Craig

Craig, When is the AKfest? could you say more about that?

It's an audio blast!! http://audiokarma.org/ak2006/index.html

One more thought, the Belle HF is big enough to accomodate a K400 horn, if you wanted to do that, a slight crossover change would be needed to do that. The K400 is a little long for the cab, but if you didn't mind having the driver and horn throat sticking a few inches out the back of teh cab, you could have the best of both.

Before going to that much trouble I think I would just install the Klappenhorn.

Additionally, if I recall, the mouth of the K500 horn used in the Belle is smaller than the K400 used in the LaScala/K-horn. That accounts for some of the reduced height of the Belle's upper section. Thus, if you wanted to put a K400 in a Belle, you would either have to raise its height (if you wanted to keep the tweet above the squawker) or reconfigure the squawker and tweeter totally (next to each other or tweet on top). Doable but takes some work.

Al's Trachorn mod as Craig suggested is truly a simple swap out. He provides risers to raise the Belle's height to accomodate the new squawker, and with the optional new grill, everything still looks stock (and the taller modded Belle actually looks better proportioned).

Carl.

I am going to grab the La Scalas tomorrow. I will get to the Belle restoration someday, so no point in grabbing a second pair.

Yes, the Trachorn is a great option. As some of you may recall I installed one of the first pairs available in my Rosewood Khorns with JBL 2404H's. Very nice improvement indeed.

I am going to grab the La Scalas tomorrow. I will get to the Belle restoration someday, so no point in grabbing a second pair.

Yes, the Trachorn is a great option. As some of you may recall I installed one of the first pairs available in my Rosewood Khorns with JBL 2404H's. Very nice improvement indeed.

Jordan,

I didn't realize you had the trachorns in your Khorns.

Craig

Good one Edwin!

Yep, I sure did Craig. Nice, nice upgrade too. I liked them even better than the 511's I had been trying prior to the switch. I also picked up a set of tweeter attenuators from Al to add to my ALK's to bring the 2404H's into line and voila, total sweetness! I will try and post some picture in a bit.