The Caves of Arne Saknussemm (A Journey to the Bass of the Earth)

WMcD

Dear Mr. McDermott,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We are writing to thank you for producing such a fine series. After we are done with our chores for the day, my brother and I fire up the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />CRT and sit down to enjoy another fine show. We sure do like that Alex and hope that he is OK and will not be off the show (but if his contract is up, we understand how these things work). My brother and I have a few questions:

Why doesnt the evil Dr. Thebes just give up; doesnt he know he will never get to the Bass of the Earth with such a small machine?

We really enjoy the fine pictures and all, but wont publishing such vivid details give the forces opposing freedom and liberty (we all know who he is) more information to combat the good professor? Remember loose lips sink ships.

Well, that is about all we got to say. Thanks for listening. Good night and good luck,

Basmus and Bergron Jackiesson Saari

39. Alex is recovering from the mysterious accident and turns his attention to making foam core prototypes of the end plates. The Professor wants a flat surface and a good seal for the back chamber.

The plate is made up of two pieces of plywood glued together. The bottom one screws into the doghouse and its cut-out is the same as the inside of the doghouse. The hatch fits into a larger cut-out in the top. The screws for the hatch mate with T-nuts which are outside the doghouse, in the horn section.

post-2552-1381929817385_thumb.jpg

40. A guide is made up out of oversized plexiglass and a metal edge guide. Then the circular saw (against the guide) is used to cut off the excess plexiglass. The cut edge of the plexiglass shows there the saw blade will cut.

post-2552-1381929817441_thumb.jpg

44. Now that work on the end plates is done, Lidenbrock wants to explore the darkest reaches of the caves. "The box of screws did not fall out of place all by itself. There could be a prehistoric beast stalking us." He has Alex and Hans crank the Ruhmkorf lamp.

post-2552-1381929817708_thumb.jpg

50. "Im so, so, sorry about the accident. I was leaning against the box to see what was going on and it just slipped off the ledge, I dont know how it could have happened," Gretchen explains.

post-2552-13819298182534_thumb.jpg