The Caves of Arne Saknussemm (A Journey to the Bass of the Earth)

WMcD

27. Professor Lidenbrock has chosen to use a 78 square inch throat and cut out for each woofer. The cut-outs are 6 inches by 13 inches except for the corners. This is because the corners otherwise would be very close to the front gasket on the drivers and cause sealing problems.

post-2552-13819295646256_thumb.gif

29. There are some strange echoing noises. They could be from water, or the rock roof cracking, or lurking beasts. Its difficult to tell where the noises are coming from. The Professor tells the others not to worry.

post-2552-13819295647576_thumb.jpg

30. When work is finished for the day, Alex collects the pages forming another article called "The Klipsch Sound Reproducer" from 1947. It describes matters only spoken of in legends.

A unit built by Sherman Fairchild is used as a guinea pig in an experiment to eliminate the multiple-taper idea. Mr. Brikenkamp scaled up a K-3 by a factor of 4/3, using an 18-inch driver. The sinuses (sinuses! sinuses? sinuses? - like a bay, how descriptive!) in the K-3 are eliminated and the new unit is called a T-3-B-1.

More than half the article is devoted to the X-5 and K-5 treble units, driven by WE-555, WE-713A, and Stephens P-15, "perhaps as it should be."

post-2552-13819295648186_thumb.jpg

Dear Professor,

I am captivated by your adventure, but alas, (sigh) there is one in particular who has captured my heart. I would be very appreciative if you could see fit in your busy adventure schedule to include more pictures of Gretchen (sigh...).

Yours Truly,

Joe

PS I don;t know if my tortured heart can stand the dreadful and lonely span o' days til next weekend.

Gretchen, you have a PM

Yours Only,

Joe

post-16099-13819297596036_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Given the unexpected pause to this tale, I'm beginning to be concerned

that the professor may have met a gruesome end... esp gievn that I

never really trusted alex's blank stare ...

ROb

Or, could he be another victim of the "evil, but very handsome" Dr. Thebes? I thought the good professor was much too clever to fall prey to such a twisted yet easily distracted nemesis.

32. Construction begins on the doghouse. Corner clamps hold the pieces at a right angle while they're glued and screwed. Tite-bond II is the glue of choice because it will fill a gap, which might help make an airtight seal.

post-2552-13819297964072_thumb.jpg

34. The tail piece assembly is more difficult because two pieces are to be attached on either side (above and below in this orientation); you cant screw into the edge of both. If the Professor had thought ahead he could have made this part first using the technique of 32. Now he has to use dowels. OTOH it is fun to use the old techniques.

post-2552-13819297965262_thumb.jpg

35. "Why do they call it the doghouse? " the Professor wonders. "This must indicate some subconscious Narcissistic injury and the subject is in the doghouse. " He draws a complicated diagram and starts describing his theory of the human psyche.

post-2552-13819297966062_thumb.jpg