Universal Remote Control

Heideana

I'm looking for a remote to tie a Denon 2805, cable box and TV together. The Denon remote does a pretty good job, except it's kinda clunky and slow on the uptake when changing channels on the cable box; resulting in lots of significant other frustration.

Anyone have any favorites that their wifes or significant others can navigate without to much stress?

Thanks for any suggestions...

I have had no problems with my Harmony 676 remote. Setup was a breeze. The Logitech website has a database that apparently has a very good selection of the programming codes requred to control home theater equipment. I was surprised that I did not have to program the remote to control my old Misubishi S-VHS player. I just entered the brand and model number in the list of devices to be controlled and the Windows Harmony Remote software downloaded all the appropriate codes and set up the "one-touch" hot keys for my most commonly used functions. The remote software would even download the information to provide a "TV-Guide" on the remote's screen of the DirecTV programming listings if I was willing to resync over the internet once a week.

Bill H. wrote the following post at 04-09-2006 6:37 PM:

The Klipsch ebay store is selling the Philips Pronto remote. It has gotten good reviews.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-ProntoNEO-Universal-Remote-Control-from-Klipsch_W0QQitemZ9705118503QQcategoryZ61320QQcmdZViewItem

Guys,

I used the Philips Pronto for sometime and actually ended up getting quite used to the thing. It was nice that you could program your screens completely and customize them to your individual needs.

However, the one thing that got really really REALLY old was having to look at it while "pressing" the buttons on the screen. Since there are no raised buttons on the face, you have to look at the remote to press something. And when you're lying in your favorite relaxing chair watching a movie, it gets annoying having to get into such a position where you can see the button you're pressing AND point it to your HT units at the same time.

Which is why I thought about investing in an RF extender so that I just continue to lay there.. the lazy a$$ that I am.... But iended up buying Universal Remote Company's Customizer and am VERY VERY happy with it.

Just my 2cents.. Good luck.

Fauzi

What is your budget for the remote?

The Pronto Neo Klipsch is selling is pretty good though the software

used to program it is very frustrating to use. It lacks a lot of the

niceties of some of the better remotes software. And the Neo's layout

is a little to fixed for my tastes. It works fine if you want to setup

it simply to replace a lot of remotes but if you want to instead setup

your remote based on activity it is harder to do that nicely with the

Neo. Can be done... but not optimally. If you needs are pretty simple

it will get the job done though. I bought/setup one for my father

in-law and it is working out well for him.

From there the 'Universal Remote Control' models are very good as

are the better Prontos. I use a URC MX3000 and as far as its

programming goes I haven't seen anything better. Very very flexible

with nested macros and virtual keypresses and such. But they are

expensive.

Shawn

Thanks for all the advice and places to start looking. I was thinking something under $100...my main requirement is that my significant other can change channels on the cable box, adjust volume on the receiver and and turn everything off/on without having to think too much. I'm not sure if anyone else has those issues or has experience with those specific needs? I'd be willing to pay a bit more if it provided an elegant solution to the nightly complaints about why the "tv" is so complicated to change channels on...[:(]

I've got a Harmony 880 and it is alright. I'm getting my dad a 676 for his birthday (with a 50 dollar mail in rebate!)

The Harmony philosophy is activity based controlling. Therefore, you set up your control to "watch DVD" or "listen to CD" and with one press of the button it will change the input on your television, the input on your reciever, your cable box, everything... for you. It has a HELP button at the top (which I find makes it very easy for my technologically challenged family members) where it will ask you "Is the tv set to HDMI input?" If you select no, it will keep asking you questions until the problem is corrected. Very neat!!

Also, Harmony tech support is top notch.

You should of let me know about a week ago. On Slickdeals.net They had the Logitech E-Harmony 880 Remote on sale, 120$ coupon from Paypal off Dell and 10$ Paypal coupon off Dell and a 50$ MIR.

Dell Home has Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote for $249 - $120 coupon P5BV189GX7Q820 - 10 coupon X10DHMT?VL6NBS when you pay with Paypal= $119. There is also a $50 rebate available, which should work as well making the final price $69. Cheapest on PriceGrabber is $156. Thanks rtalber1 and Wammer

Expired 11:59 PM CT 4/6/2006

However, the one thing that got really really REALLY old was having to look at it while "pressing" the buttons on the screen. Since there are no raised buttons on the face, you have to look at the remote to press something. And when you're lying in your favorite relaxing chair watching a movie, it gets annoying having to get into such a position where you can see the button you're pressing AND point it to your HT units at the same time.

We touch-typists don't have that problem. ;)

Seriously though, I have a Pronto TSU3000 that I wouldn't trade for anything . . . except for a Pronto TSU7000 . . . and if you like tactile feedback, the Pronto is not for you. If you want a remote that you can take out of the box and be using in 15 minutes, the Pronto is not for you. If you want something you don't have to worry about breaking the screen on when the kids drop it, the Pronto is not for you.

If you want a remote where the only limits on its looks, programmability, device control, macro creation, and flexibility are your time and imagination, the Pronto is for you.

Otherwise, the Harmony is your remote.

Try "One for all" remotes!

They are easy to use, inexpensive and boast the largest component/brand compatibility range in the business.

I use an expensive Phillips Pronto to control my complex Home Theater and love it. But it's too complex for my wife to understand and use on her system upstairs. She loves her One For All PVR Remote that she controls our 5 living room components with. And the dang thing was $12.50 bucks!

I am not affiliated with them, either: Check it out.... best of luck.

http://www.ofausa.com/

I've been using my Pronto (not the neo) for about 5 years. I spent a lot of sleepless nights getting it how I wanted it, figuring out the software, etc. but now I could program the whole thing in one night.

The nice thing is that most anyone could walk in to my house, with no knowlege of my system whatsoever, and be able to work everything. That says a lot.

You could probably get one pretty cheap off of ebay.

If mine ever dies, I might check out the Harmony, though, it looks pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a pronto & cant get it programed to do anything but make me mad.

i have a b&k ref 50,cabe box,dvd, & vcr.

i just use a few buttons on each remote but have to use them all.

i want somethingsimlpe or some help with this pronto 3000.

Post some specific problems that you are having or send me an email.

In general, make a device for each component. Make a page with simple ugly buttons and learn each control from your other remotes. Then make a nice looking page laid out like you want with the buttons that you want that are links to the buttons on your other page.

www.remotecentral.com contains lots of downloadable files that contains really nice interfaces and also files for most components. I find it easiest to download someones nice-looking interface and then link the buttons to my buttons page.