How do old school Klipsch compare to new?

Rick

Here is an "IMO" post as it relates to klipsch past vs present.

The heritage line has a separate horn midrange. IMO, the reference and synergy series cannot compete.

Here is my personal list of Klipsch gems:

Least money: KG-4's. Great little speakers, bang for the buck.

Heresy: Side by side with the reference, the heresey sounds more open to me. Coupled with a sub, a full range system that just slays giants.

Forte/ Forte II: Owning both, I prefer the II, YMMV. Both are a nearly flawless speaker design. They are the right balance for full range sound. Nice and controlled; like a heresy with more bottom extension.

Cornwall: IMO, "looser" than forte, they need a big room. Big sound. They do reproduce into the 20hz (bottom octave) range cleanly.

Chorus/II: I like the CII because it's vented via passive radiator. Big, big sound.

La scala/belle: IMO, they need a sub. I just don't like them without bottom augmentation. They sound to me like they roll off about 60hz. But with a sub, if you have heard them they are monsters.

Klipschorn: Full range, can live without a sub. But they need a big room with corners. The output is extremely realistic sounding, close to live. A great set of speakers for a totally uncompressed body-pounding immediacy and impact.

IMO, all of the above are superior to modern klipsch reference and synergy. Once you remove that horn mid, and try to combine it into one drive, and shrink the cabinet you are asking to compromise on dynamics. The reference are terrific, but have mediocre capabilities vs the heritage line (To include the new versions with tractrix)

YMMV, but that's basically my opinion.

I never saw the new networks on the new Las. Prettier. They look "newer".....but the positioning of the coils surprises me a little. They are REALLY close and of the positioning I've seen not recommended.

Oh well, Klipsch knows best!

I never saw the new networks on the new Las. Prettier. They look "newer".....but the positioning of the coils surprises me a little. They are REALLY close and of the positioning I've seen not recommended.

Oh well, Klipsch knows best!

Well...PWK was always a "Oh B.S." type guy when it came to technologies other than Klipsch or esoterica. This might be a holdover from that philosophy.

I may not spring for brand new la Scalas if it comes down to purchasing them instead of corner horns. There are so many on the used market, and I'd have no problem with the originals.

Do the now ones use oil caps or (my guess) poly?

What I was commenting on was the picture of a network posted earlier in this thread. I assume that it is from a 2005 LaScala as mentioned. Those look like poly caps to me.

The comment about coil placement was made because of the positioning and proximity of 2 of the coils. Hmm.....

Iron core types are not as prone to mutual inductance as air core types. Also, Klipsch does measure for the effect as the parts are layed out.

The capacitors are metallized polyester film.

Attenuation is acheived through the use of L-pads and/or series resistors -- there is no autoformer.

Heresy: Side by side with the reference, the heresey sounds more open to me. Coupled with a sub, a full range system that just slays giants.

Heresys are highly underrated, especially once paired with a sub. I don't use a sub on mine, but they are still killer for most of what I listen to.

Bruce