Two armed Thorens TD-124

Allan Songer

Allan, I've seen the picture of your 124 with SME 3012R (first on my list) before but this is way cooler.

Gilbert, I ended up getting two TD 124s a while ago. I've got one mint TD 124 mk II with SME 3009 that I was planning to sell. Let me know if you are interested.

Kudret

I am interested as well... luvmy92@earthlink.net

Well, I've got the second arm mounted and playing records. It was a bear to dial in, but I think I've got it 90% of the way there. Edmond dropped by for a few hours yesterday and we played lots of records--stereo and mono and it was really great to be able to switch back and forth between the stereo cartrdige (an SPU GT on the Ikeda) and the mono (CGI 25) on the SME.

Sorry for the lousy pics--there were taken with a cheap camera phone.

twoarm1.jpgtwoarm2.jpg

The photos do not do Allan's Thorens justice. The base and additional armboard is well integrated, and the Mono arm and cartridge makes great music and sounds vibrant. A very good piece of work!

The music flowed for several hours, Billie, Dexter, Baby Face Willette, Gene Ammons, Grant Green, Getz and Hampton, Sonny, Coleman Hawkins, Joe Henderson, to name only a few. A great evening of music, and most of it I don't have in my collection, which made it more special.

Thanks again to Allan for hosting me.

Klipsch out.

Edmond, the pleasure was mine!!

I'll burn you a copy of "Atlas Blues" until you can scare up a copy of the LP.

Gary went nuts for this one too. Pepper and Stitt are ON FIRE!

I keep it in the car and listen to it about once a week. Great album!

Mike, email is sent.

Kudret

Got it, and sent a reply. But not sure if you got it yet. Please let me know when you reply, as our I.T. guys here in the office are getting over zealous with the spam blocking software, and I've been not getting some email replys. Most come through, but there are some that get kicked out of the system. So, please let me know, thanks.

Hi Allan, I have some mono jazz records as well and after this thread one of the things I look for in a TT is the possibility to add a second arm. I learned that there are several, four I think, mono carts in the SPU line. Could you explain the difference?

Ortofon

Classic SPU-Mono GM

A13375

vergrößern

bestellen

Ortofon

Classic SPU-Mono GM/65

A13377

vergrößern

bestellen

Ortofon

Classic Mono CG25Di

A13378

vergrößern

bestellen

Ortofon

Classic Mono CG65Di

A13379

vergrößern

OK

The "Mono GM" is a stereo cartridge wired in mono. That is, the cantilever moves in both planes--you can play stereo records with it and the output will be mono.

The CG25 is a TRUE mono cartidge and moves is one plane only--it will RUIN a stereo record!! It is based on the ORIGINAL 1948 Ortofon moving coil design.

EIther cartridge with the "65" designation is for 78 rpm records (as opposed to "microgroove" LP records).

Ok, thanks Allan, I understand the CG25 is the best cart if it's only meant to play mono lp's. Now I know what to put on my wanted list, (next to the 3012 I need for this baby). One more question: which type of 3012 or 309 is the top? I've read about I, II or III, R no R? Tim.