Alternative 2a3 tubes?

steamer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

I don't want to get this thread too "spun out" but I understood that in my Wright 2a3 monos it was the driver tube (6sn7 in my case) that carried the most sound characteristics. Isn't this the place to do most tube rolling?

Darrell

Darrell,

In my very lay understanding, the 6SN7 tube is one that is synergistic and circuit dependent in the way a particular 6SN7 sounds.

I had a conversation with Geo Wright about tubes for the Wrights. He told me that the best combination he had found were the RCA 2A3 and Sylvania chrome dome 6SN7. I tried alot of different combinations in tube rolling. Turned out, my ears agreed with George. I never found a better sounding combination in that amp.

If you can afford the RCAs then try them. I have the Sovteks and the EH for my Welborne Moondogs and prefer the Sovteks. Does anyone know how much RCAs run for a pair?

xman,

Not sure on an average price.I think the older monoplates are quite a bit more than say some newer dualplates.Also the blackplates are more than the greys.I have just started looking at them and still trying to figure out the prices.I have seen some for $250/pair and as low as $125 so far.There is a pair on audiogon for $85.Looking at the pics,one of the tubes glass section is off kilter with the base and the internals look a little skewed.I dont know if this effects the sound but decided to pass.See for yourself:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1149189141

Greg

I think I'm just going to stay with my Sovteks. I am not willing to pay the much higher cost for a tube that may sound a little better.

The ones on Audiogon are tempting since only $85 but you don't know what you are getting.

It all comes down to how much are you willing to spend on a experiment.

If there were a large number of people saying the RCAs blew away the Sovteks then I might be willing to take a chance and spend the extra money. But so far I've read that for the price/performance the Soveteks are hard to beat. So I'll stay with the Sovteks.

The AudiogoN 2A3s could be a good deal if more were known about them - they are barely more expensive than a new pair of Sovteks. That being said, Sovteks are very good for every day listening but a pair of 1940s RCA JAN-CRC 2A3s black plates for special occasions are mighty nice to have on hand! 2A3 mono plates are the ultimate but out of my price range!

I agree on spending money for an experiment.

I like the sound of the Sovteks and think they are great for the money.

I spoke with the guy selling the RCA's and got the impression he was just an ordinary joe like you and I.He's got a set of tubes he cant use because of selling the amps they go in.He claimed they worked fine.Who knows?They could be a great find but like you said you dont really know what you are getting.Do they blow away the Sovteks?Probably not.

I have learned alot here.Mainly everyone has a high opinion of the Sovteks and some brands are better maybe but at what price.I will try a pair of RCA's and see if I can find a pair reasonably priced.

Greg

Thanks Daddy Dee,

I do have the Sylvania 40's era chrome top 6sn7s and like them better than the EH and RCAs I've had in that slot. I've only listened to the Sovtek 2a3s, but I'll keep my eyes out for a reasonably priced pair of RCAs. What preamp did you run with your Wrights? I just got a WPL20 from George and am interested in tube rolling in it.

BTW, my family is still in Little Rock and I'd love to hear your system next time I'm there (usually about once a year).

Darrell

Quite the interesting score of tubes for 50 bucks, Rick.

What's the particular types of transmitter tubes you have in that lot? The tallest ones look like a 211? Maybe not......

Or the tubes with the anode caps in the first pic 807's? Then again, maybe not.....

I have a few RCA CRC 3E29's with sockets. It's a dual tetrode for class B transmitter circuits I think. They would interesting to try in a audio circuit I suppose.

One thing that should be mentioned about the Sovtek 2A3 is reliability factor. You can beat on them a bit.......they last.

Thanks Daddy Dee,

I do have the Sylvania 40's era chrome top 6sn7s and like them better than the EH and RCAs I've had in that slot. I've only listened to the Sovtek 2a3s, but I'll keep my eyes out for a reasonably priced pair of RCAs. What preamp did you run with your Wrights? I just got a WPL20 from George and am interested in tube rolling in it.

BTW, my family is still in Little Rock and I'd love to hear your system next time I'm there (usually about once a year).

Darrell

Darrell,

When I got the Wrights I was using a Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp, which I still have. Later I got a JM Peach and preferred the Peach sound to the Sunfire, though the Sunfire is very good. Later I got a JM Merlin, which is (as Mark says) 98% of a Peach. To my ears, I couldn't hear a difference in sound. I ended up selling the Peach and keeping the Merlin. Merlin is a cute little brick.

Let me know when you are going to be in LR. I'd be glad for you to stop by.

Quite the interesting score of tubes for 50 bucks, Rick.

What's the particular types of transmitter tubes you have in that lot? The tallest ones look like a 211? Maybe not......

Or the tubes with the anode caps in the first pic 807's? Then again, maybe not.....

I have a few RCA CRC 3E29's with sockets. It's a dual tetrode for class B transmitter circuits I think. They would interesting to try in a audio circuit I suppose.

One thing that should be mentioned about the Sovtek 2A3 is reliability factor. You can beat on them a bit.......they last.

Here is the list Mike:

Makers:

RCA

U. S. NAvy

Ratheon

Sylvania

Western Electric

Models:

(2) VT-217

(4) CW-701A

(2) CWL-803

(1) CRC-1616

(1) CWL-807

(1) CRC-811

(1) CRC-Y5E

(1) VT-42A

(1) CRC-813

(1) 3B28

(2) VT-116A

(2) 6J5-GT

(1) CRC-523

(1) GJ5-GT/G

(1) 5U4-G

(1) CRC-1616

(1) 6CB6

(1) 6AF4

(2) 715-B

(4) 715-A

(2) VT-42A

(3) CRC-836

(1) G1-434-A

(2) 2A3

(1) VR-150-30

(2) CWL-837

My solid-state 2A3 stereo amplifier:

When we bought the chassis and parts, Moth Audio was out of the usual 2A3 top plate, and they sent the 300B version, instead. The location of the switches would have been used for bias pots on the 300B amp. I used the left hole for a B+ standby switch, and the switch on the right switches back and forth between the headphone and speaker outputs.

It uses regulated DC on all heaters, including the 2A3s. Dead silent except for the slightest hiss from tweeters. It's working perfectly with the Lexicon now, where it didn't before. I had built two different driver circuits, but found the original direct-coupled 6SL7 remarkable. First time around there was a problem with low level gain into the Lexicon, though the amp sounded fine without it. In rebuilding to the original schematic, I put in new cathode resistor bypass caps, a few resistors, and it's fine now.

Output tubes are the KR2A3s.

Erik

post-10533-13819295197264_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I am currently listening to my Wavelength 2a3 monos with Sovtek power tubes.Does anyone have expierience with this tube vs. another brand?What differences did you notice/like?

I find in my system that the highs are a bit rolled off with this tube.I would like to find a tube with strengths in the mids and highs.Bass in not important as the tube only sees signals above 400hz.

The reason I ask is that I also have a pair of Electriprint 300b DRD monos that just stomp all over my Wavelength's for high freq.reproduction.Maybe its a product of the 2a3 design vs. the 300b?

Thanks,Greg

Greg,

My personal preference 2A3, used everyday, is the 1940's RCA 2A3 Blackplate. I do not understand why some put this tube away for "special occasion" listening, because it is extremely durable and will last for years under constant use and I can attest to that. To my ears, they are noticebly better in the mids and high frequencies when compared with the Sovtek. I also prefer their low frequency response though I can't say they better the Sovtek in that regard. I have also listened to the Sylvania 2A3 and Rogers 2A3 offerings which I consider very close to the RCA, but not quite there. I tend to agree with Jeff in his assesment of the sonic signature of the KR 2A3. This is really not much of a surprise since the KR 2A3 tube was actually designed with the expressed purpose to achieve a solid state-like presentation. Not at all my cup of tea. The Chinese production 2A3 tubes I auditioned have all seemed very thin sounding and not up to the presentation of the RCA Blackplates. The latest current production 2A3 is the JJ 2A3,(not cheap), but still not up to the presentation of the 1940's RCA Blackplate. If you ever have some money to splurge, get a couple of RCA or Cunningham single plate 2A3's. I still have not been lucky enough to land two of these vintage single plate 2A3's, but I have not given up hope. If you think a pair of vintage RCA or Cunningham single plate 2A3's are pricey, price a pair of vintage Western Electric 300B tubes!

There are also some differences in the presentation from a pair of Wrights 2A3 Mono's and a pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs with the Ultimate upgrade packakge which may account for my stated preferences, so YMMV. I endorse Jeff's recommendation to purchase two RCA Blackplates that test very good, though not matched, and enjoy the music even more than the Sovteks offer.

Klipsch out.

Greg:

I also have RCAs, and they are also very good sounding tubes. We have discussed the KRs, as seen above in my Moth amp, and you're right that they are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

The KRs are certainly different in comparison, however I have used a number of solid state amps with the Klipschorns, and they sound nothing like any amp I have used with the KRs -- including my former parafeed amps. But that's to my ears, and we all don't hear the same way or prefer the same things. Moreover, the brand of input/driver and output tubes are not the only thing responsible for the sonic character of an amplifier. There are different SET circuits floating around, and where one tube might be a compliment (if one happens to like it) in one design, that may not be the same case for another amp. It's not so straightforward. What one hears is the sum of everything together, and that's one reason why it's nice to be able to experiment to find what works best.

I'm not saying others are wrong in the comparison of KRs to transistors, I'm saying that is not my impression. With KRs I hear in more distinct clarity the sounds of instruments like triangles, or bells of cymbals, or bows on strings than the other 2A3s I have, but it's absolutely not of the dry or grainy quality I have heard with some SS amps I've had here. LIke anything, there are probably as many people who like them who do not. I just happen to be among those who like the way they sound.

Erik

Jazman&Erik,

I understand how we all have different preferences and perceptions.

My Wavelengths can play the 45 and 2a3 tubes.I have a pair of RCA Cunningham 45's and they are impressive compared to the Sovtek 2a3's,and I am very impressed with the Sovteks.The 45's are like the Sovtek's magnified.You can see further into the recording,the inner detail or refinement of the presentation is incredible.I wish they had more power.Because of my expierience with this tube I can buy into your recommendations for the RCA 2a3's.I have a pair of Sylvainia 2a3 blackplates I got with the amp but one arrived DOA.I have a hard time running one with one Sovtek.I need to look for another one.I will also look for a pair of the RCA blackplates.

I think I will hold off on the KR's in favor another Sylvania first.If you have read all this thread then you saw my post of the RCA's on audiogon.I keep thinking I should go after them.$85 seems like a good price.I just didnt like the way the internals looked and the glass being offset from the base on one of them.Would this effect the sound much provided they work?I see they are still there as of this morning,maybe other people are thinking the same as me?

Greg