HERITAGE HOME THEATER

mmiles

The best center would be another of the same speaker...like you suggest...perhaps 3 Heresys...I use 2 Heresys and a "popbumpered" Academy (upgraded crossover) Center...Heritage Home Theaters are used by many members here...IndyKlipschFan has all LaScalas...all the way 'round I believe...awesome!...Bill

Right now I've got LS with BEC's AA/A's in front, CW's in the rear, and a KLF-C7 for center (it's a much better match than my RC7 was).

I have 9 CW cabinets and when I build my HT in the basement, I'll be surrounded by matching Cornwalls, including one Vertical model on it's side for center duty. There's nothing like an exact match of Heritage components for HT.

Michael

The room will not allow a "matching" 5.1 system. It is a multi-purpose room and I need some space for furniture. The surrounds presently are Klipsch RCW-5 in-walls which may be upgraded to the new 5600 or 5800 in-wall line.

What about this...

3 x Heresey

2 x Cornwalls with Heresy center

2 x La Scallas with Heresy center

Let me know your thoughts!

Regards,

Mike

Personally, I like the CW overall sound better than LS, I just wanted louder so I swapped out my mains.

I'd opt for the CW/H setup, they can go flat against the front wall (LS are 24" deep), and will have pretty smooth response. DO NOT PUT THE Heresy on it's side however- it will need to stand in it's original configuration so the horn is oriented correctly.

You might experience some lack of surround sound due to the mismatch in efficiencies. However at least having the front three from the same family will help quite a bit.

Have fun.

Michael

I love my 5.1 La Scala setup, and ran through the same issue as you before deciding to go with it. One thing to note, is that the front edge of the speaker should really be at least 3ft from the front wall for the best sound. With that in mind, everyone can't have this distance, but it makes the depth of the La Scala a non-issue if you are talking ideal placement.

If I couldn't have an LS center, I would go with 2 La Scalas and then 2 Hereseys for the center (either side to side, or top and bottom with the upper speaker upside down).

I ended up with my 60" Sony sitting on a self-built stand over my equipment rack and center LS. This put the TV a bit too high, but I angled it down slightly and have had a great viewing experience.

Hope this helps,

Kelsyn

Again this is a multi purpose room and BTW there is no WAF in this case, its just me...

Since I need somewhere for myself, son and others to sit I can not have a "matching" 5.1 (L/C/R and Surrounds), it plain and simple won't fit.

The surrounds need to be in-walls or wall mount, again that leaves out any Heritage line option (I know I'm going to here about that... "Hey just mount the Heresy's to the wall with a bracket"). Currently in-walls are RW-5 and I am looking into the RS-5650S.

The room is 16 x 24 x 9. There are 2 windows on the rear 16' wall, the screen and equipment furniture are on the front 16' wall, 2 windows and an fireplace on a 24' wall and the other 24' wall has a 10 x 8 opening into the dining room in one corner (next to equpment and screen where one speaker will be located) and a 2.5' opening to the foyer in the rear corner. So you can see there are some placement and acoustical challanges.

What about La Scallas and the new RC-64 center?

Regards,

Mike

The room will not allow a "matching" 5.1 system. It is a multi-purpose room and I need some space for furniture. The surrounds presently are Klipsch RCW-5 in-walls which may be upgraded to the new 5600 or 5800 in-wall line.

What about this...

3 x Heresey

2 x Cornwalls with Heresy center

2 x La Scallas with Heresy center

Let me know your thoughts!

Regards,

Mike

IMO, you will not be satisfied with a Heresy center with CW or Las mains. The center channel is too important and will sound small in comparison to the larger mains.

I have LaScala's up front (Deans xovers, BEC tweeters), with 2 heresy's pulling center duty, and CW's (Deans xovers) in the rear and absolutely love it. The only slight bummer is I have lower the level on the LS so they don't drown out the heresy's or cornwalls ( mainly for 5 ch. stereo)

I'm running La Scala fronts, Heresy sides, Cornwall rears, and an RC7 center. It may not be the optimal set up according to some, but it sure as Hell dosen't suck either. Use what you like and what fits your space and don't worry about what the purists think.

James

It's a balancing act.

There are a few guys here who have much bigger L/R's than the other channels. THis is for a better 2-ch presentation where you need two very powerful full range speakers. Some HT receivers allow the sub to also work with L/R's though.

I agree with those who say the Heresy might be a weak center compared to CW or LS.

I do think that you should stay with all Heritage or possibly Academy or KLF center.

I would strongly advise against having Heritage and Reference across the front. Having the Ref inwalls in back is not a terribly bad idea, but you want the front three to match fairly closely. You will need a sub of some type. Maybe a Sub12 might work for you.

Cal's Forte/Heresy sounds like a good match up

I like the all Heresy idea, especially if you're tight on space.

If space is a problem LS is probably out because of it's depth.

CW's across the front would give better 2ch sound than H, only dissention in the ranks is how to implement CW's with Heritage center. KLF is what I have, double Heresy might keep up (disable one set of horns- use two woofer boxes)

JMalotkey uses dual H woofer boxes on floor, with custom built mid/hi LS box inset into the ceiling. It keeps up with his Khorns and H surrounds quite well.

Michael

I have tried them all and I currently have 2 Heritage surround systems. An all Hersey 6.1 for the front projection room and an all Cornwall 5.2 system for my media/family room. In my opinion you will want to pick one and then get all the same speakers and make it work.

If you are not worrried about listening to any HD surround music format (DVD-A or SACD) then you can get away with Cornwall fronts and Hersey surrounds as the bass management should take care of all the bass issues. I did run a Hersey center with the Cornwalls and it held up good for movies but not for high rez music.

Laters,

Jeff

Why don't you just go with the reference series for your mains?

Seriously, timbre matching is so much more important such that it

totally nullifies the mere thought of going with heritage mains. I know

I know, everyone wants heritage....but they aren't always the best

application for every situation. I honestly feel you will be more

satisfied with the new reference stuff.

Space is an issue for you and I have no doubt that you will greatly

enjoy the RF-83's mated with the matching center....and hey, such a

setup would even timbre match with your inwall surrounds.

Another direction you might consider would be to go with the THX Ultra2

package - which I feel is even better than heritage. It is of course a

bit more pricey, but they also have a very good inwall surround speaker

option.

Oh btw, what about mouting heresies to the cieling? [;)][:P]

Well I am a mixed breed sort of. In the 5.1 config I run La

Scala's up front with Heresy sides but the center is a custom built using

drivers from Heritage, Reference, and the KLF line, but built like a Heritage.

In the 7.1 all the same as mentioned but with some Synergy surrounds handling

the side "B" side and back surrounds. I Love it!

scooter