David Gilmour on TV

filmboydoug

I checked it out and it was great. Gilmore did one song and had David Crosby and Graham Nash on backing vocals. Don't know the name..sounded new.

The tune was very reminiscent of what's on Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of The Moon.....And he still plays awesome leads....still has that same voice.

It was great.

He played Wish You Were Here on acoustic guitar next, but the show went off the air and Jay Leno said to see it you had to tune into their website. Well, I was happy enough with the first tune and just went to bed. So I never saw Wish You Were Here.

When they did the "Live Eight" thing I had my PC plugged into my system and surfed around all day and evening long and watched and listened to as much as I could. Pink Floyd was absolutely excellent.

I never understood the big deal over Roger Waters. David Gilmore certainly doesn't need him one bit. He might be a genious writer...I give him lots of credit for all that mind boggling material, but as a performer...well I just don't understand the big so called "loss".

I don't know if that was taped or was the live show from Chicago, that's where David played last night. A buddy of mine was in second row and Crosby/Nash did join in for the Island song.

Rick Wright was visible on keyboards! Didin't know he was with the touring unit. I'll try to copy setlist over, he did Wot's, uh, the deal, Echoes, Arnold Layne (Syd's song) and many other oldies.

This guy says he can die happily now cos he's just been to heaven. I believe him.

Michael

Last night on Leno it looked to be a medium sized outdoor stage on the studio premises. Like out the back door or something like that. There were maybe 100-200 people in the crowd. It looked like a decent setup. Leno mentioned a "concert series". Maybe more of this stuff to come.

I think it was taped because Leno was up there on the stage with them standing next to Gilmore, and introduced them (Gilmore, Nash, Crosby).

Gilmore looked about Jay's size, a pretty big guy actually. He looks old but he looks good and you can tell he has taken care of himself.

The guy can play and sing REALLY well still.

I'd think I died and went to heaven too if I got to see him up close live these days. Really he's a rare performer to see live.

I saw Floyd a few times many years ago, but seeing them or Gilmore now would be special.

I really liked them all, especially Meddle, but have to agree with Doug, they didn't slouch much on WYWH or Animals. The Wall speaks for itself as another rock masterpiece.

But there a lot of old friends there in the deep catalog. Collect 'em all, it's a set!

M

Animals is prolly my fave Floyd album. I've only met one other person who feels the same. IMO - it's underrated... maybe a better word would be - underappreciated.

Sadly, I only have Animals on a poor quality mp3. Since there's floyd people here - Can anyone tell me if there are any particularily good recordings of Floyd floating about? I've tried remasters of other bands music but the few I've tried didn't find an improvement over the old version - but I'm still willing to try. Basically, I won't listen to Floyd here unless it's pristine quality. Anything else would just be sad & wrong to me.

I agree with Meagain that Animals is underated. It's a real sleeper in my opinion. One of my all time favorites.

I think DSOTM is their absolute classic of all time. Best Floyd. IMHO.

Wish You were Here was great too.

OTOH I thought The Wall has its moments but was overdone. Too long.

I like some of the real old stuff too. Cows: Atom Heart Mother, Zabriski Point, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle

Pink Floyd without Waters is like the Bible without Genesis. By reading it, you can still get the gest of it, but you are missing the essence. I have maintained all my PF collection since at leats Atom and Medley, as it remains my all-time favorite, but remain hopeful of a 'REUNITE' before my time is up. Great minds think alike, but unfortunately do not always follow the same path when capitalism is at the reigns. PF is a way of life, not just a rock band. Seeing David on the TS was very nice, but it stirred a lot of old unfulfilled expectations for this 45 y/o fan.