For those attending the gathering at my house in Central Florida

Mike Lindsey

Well... it doesn't appear there is too much interest in our get together.

The Thelma Houston track was "I've got the music in me" if anybody gives a hoot...

Mike

Is that the Sheffield Lab recording? I've got that one. There you go Colter, see. I do have some CD's. Ya Cheesburger eating wino's.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just about passed over this thread. I'm really tired from Akfest and just trying to get my bearings back. Sounds like you guy's had a ball!

Colin thanks for a great comments. Your going to keep this up until I feel obligated to send you a pair for reveiw ;) I just don't know if I can fill the orders after the reveiw LOL!!

These get togethers are fun and should go on. Great way for folks to get to know each other. AKfest was an absolute ball. If it went on any longer I probably would of passed out. There is such a thing as to much fun......

Craig

Glad to hear i was a good event. I want to attend one of these so be sure and start with an earlier date. It was my yearly 4 day fishing trip so I had to miss out. I also would have wanted tolisten to more Jazz or rock than gospel music. The only gospel I have is the Blind Boys from Alabama.

Question...what tap did you have the La Scalas on with the VRD's? For an interesting listening day, take turns changing the ohm load to the speakers. With the right setting it really tightens down the bass. The 4 ohm tap should work best.

I have many different speakers that I could bring...most recently a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto's.

When I had my McIntosh MC250, I ran the CWs off of the 4 ohm tap which sounded better than off the 8 ohm taps. Of course, the CWs were crossed over at 45Hz back then, so there was still a good amount of bass coming out of them, and it sounded the tightest on the 4 ohm taps. But that's also SS amplification.

I also would have wanted tolisten to more Jazz or rock than gospel music. The only gospel I have is the Blind Boys from Alabama.

We played mostly jazz, and only 2 tracks off the Gospel album, but both were outstanding

http://www.audiophileusa.com/item.cfm?ID=33378&c1=ppc&source=VinylRecords&kw=Gospel

Question...what tap did you have the La Scalas on with the VRD's? For an interesting listening day, take turns changing the ohm load to the speakers. With the right setting it really tightens down the bass. The 4 ohm tap should work best.

I have only hooked my La Scala's to the 8 ohm post on the VRD's. I am also using the ALK networks, and according to the literature from Al:

The design has also been heavily computer optimized for a smooth input "return loss". This means that the network presents a stable 8 Ohm load to the amplifier across the entire audio spectrum. The load to the amplifier then becomes that of the speaker itself, rather than of the crossover network plus the speaker.

Mike

On my living room Lascalas with Klipsch AL3 networks and my Stereo proto type amp I use 8 ohms without any reason to switch. With my Shop system Lascalas with Deans relatively benign impedance load ALK Jrs I also use 8 ohms. The Cornwall's are a very different speaker in the bass region which would not surprise me if the 4 ohm tapps might tighten things up. Khorns with stock Klipsch crossover may sound better on the 4 ohm taps not sure about that situation.

Craig

We tried 4-ohms briefly at peacherman Daddydees <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Arkansas gathering in May 2004 on the Khorns (dont know which amplifier, Cayin TA30/) and to me the bass extended through the room better (Lower freq.?). I have heard of a few people going back to the nominal 8-ohm tap, but it ia always for something as elusive as more upper end air. [8-)]

• 3 years later...

I will definitely be having another in a couple of months, right after redoing the family room (new floors, etc). I'm figuring sometime after middle of November, so that might mean waiting until the new year. Since the last one I have a new turntable (Thorens TD-124/SME 3009 II/Zu DL-103R), added the Cream option to the BBX and Khorns that were refurbished by Greg Roberts (V-Tracs/2" BMS/Beyma tweets/ALK Universals/Closed in backs). This combination puts this system in a completely different league than what was here prior. It's the best sounding system I have ever heard! Now granted, I haven't heard a lot of other systems, but I have heard some pretty good rigs, and this one tops them all.

When the room is complete I'll send out some invites and get a feeling of when most people can make it. I would really like Jim and his brother Chops to make it this time. I would also like to see a return visit from Colin.

Mike

During the second week of November I'm going to go through a complete rebuild of a pair of "special" Heresy's; you guys would be more than welcome. Saturday the 13th would be a good day for those interested in the results. Then we can all plan on heading to Mike Lindsey's house a couple months later and drink all his beer!!! LOLOL!!