Need the dirt on original Zeppelin LPs

rplace

Ok, this will serve as a follow-up to my earlier post about the 45rpm LedZep LPs. If 700 is too much how do you go about funneling that cash to the best sounding vinyl out there?

What do you look for to know you are getting a good pressing versus one that was put out several years after with filler and junk?. I would think not having a barcode on the jacket would be a start. Original pressings are not mandatory, just looking for the best sounding ones out there. Like I said in my other post, I have not heard any truly fine recordings...but then I have been out of the vinyl scene for a long time.

This guy on ebay has a few...but the look to be newer record store close outs from the late 80s if I had to hazard a guess. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C12&from=R10&satitle=zeppelin&sacat=306%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sadis=200&fpos=21154&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=nightowlcafe

So give me the dish...educate me, how do I tell a diamond from a lump of coal?

I didn't check them all, but the auctions look like later re-releases.

In a nutshell.

This site lists the original catalog numbers.

K XXXXX in the early albums are the UK pressings.

Atlantic 75XX is the original US and Canada pressing. Of these, look for RL (Robert Ludwig) in the dead wax.

So when you see SD 19XXX numbers you know it was a re-release (like in those auctions).

FYI - I recently bought an MFSL copy of Zep II off ebay. Was supposed to be NM but had many light scratches, none of which were audible. Sounds perfect. The guy still refunded half of my purchase price.

The point of the post is:

BUY THE MFSL COPY!!! IT KICKS SOME SERIOUS A$$!!!!!!!!!!

I've got my originals from when they first came out if you need catalog numbers. I don't know of any label or cover differences. Other than Swan Song was the record company from Phys Graf on, so if you see any earlier albums with that label, something might be amiss.

M

Uh... I think $0.50 each is good[:P][:P][:P][;)]

With shipping that should come up to a small fortune[;)]

Really, I couldn't tell you what retail is. It all depends on band, title, condition of lp and jackett, sound quality etc.

I pulled out the albums. The early ones are Atlantic and the later ones are Swan Song. All jackets are in very good condition with sharp corners. I'm thinking more than 50 cents each.

Chris

I just recently sold by TT (one week ago) and want to sell my entire record collection. It includes the entire Led Zeppeln collection. I bought them between 1978 and 1984 or so.

They are used but I take care of my things.

Chris

How about a package of your entire LP collection I would be interested.