Lascala & Subs

thewolf

How about the pair I'm building for my KI-362's? (Just kidding.) How much output do you need? How low do you want to go? Do you want a powered sub? The Reference RSW-15 would be up to the task if the LaScalas are powered with a moderate amplifier (60-100 W/ch -- more than enough). Also at CES the RT series was announced, and the RT-12d would work and will be available soon.

post-4162-1381929536567_thumb.jpg

Actually, if you are doing mostly low to mid level listening you don't really need expensive subs to hear a significant improvement.

But as some of us have found out, you quickly find the point on the volume knob where the subs get left behind. Meaning, can't keep up to the LaScala's tight fast bass and they just start to slobber, distort, and/or boom (and piss you off).

I have heard that the THX Ultras can keep up at high volumes, but I haven't heard them. I have also heard good things about the Velodyne servo controlled subs.

There's good info in the subwoofer forum. Find "The Ear". He can help.

I have heard the THX Ultra II subs with their respective amp sound great in an HT environment with La Scala's. Also heard those same subs in a 2 Ch setting at last years pilgrimage not sound sound so impressive but the room/set up was extremely poor. If you take the time to really set them up properly IMO the THX Ultra II subs and amp would be a superb choice but it will take some concetrated effort to get things set up properly.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice on the subs. I am not sure how to answer

the "how low" and the "output" questions. I like a tight bass but the

Lascalas are just missing the mark. I tried to hook up an 8" with the

Lascalas and they got buried real quick. I like the idea of a seperate

power amp, I'll look into your suggestions.

How about the pair I'm building for my KI-362's? (Just kidding.) How much output do you need? How low do you want to go? Do you want a powered sub? The Reference RSW-15 would be up to the task if the LaScalas are powered with a moderate amplifier (60-100 W/ch -- more than enough). Also at CES the RT series was announced, and the RT-12d would work and will be available soon.

Any chance we'll get to hear them thar triangualr subs with a Heritage rig in Hope?

I had the dual KW-120's and the KA-1000 Amp with my La Scalas in a two channel setup and it really didn't make much of a difference. My room size is 20' x 22' x 10' ceilings which I'm sure had something to do with it. Now if your room size is smaller, it may work better for you. IMHO I don't think the La Scalas need a Sub in a two channel setup. I think that you will find out after you add the Subs that they don't need one either.

I would be curious to know what you are powering your La Scalas with. I have an Aragon 8008BB amp with the Aragon Aurum Preamp and with this setup it has plenty of bass.

I think the Subs would work best in an HT setup. That's just my opinion and therefore wish you the best!

It just depends on your personal preference for how much extra boomy mono-pitch noise you want to accompany the music from the speakers. Here is how to tell for yourself.

While in your car, tune to the 'smooth jazz' station - you know, the one with the repetitive sappy pseudo-jazz crap. Adjust the 'bass' until it sounds right to you. Now just listen and wait for the male DJ to voice over the end of the song and say something like 'You're listening to smooooth jaaaazz on (frequency xx.x)..."

If he sounds like a normal man speaking, you don't need a sub. If he sounds like the guy that does the movie trailer voice overs you need a sub.

I forgot about the THX subs, but thanks to all who remembered for me, they are definitely great souding subs.

J.4knee -- you should put that request (RT-12d demo in Hope) in to Amy, it's definitely possible, but would require some planning.

If he sounds like a normal man speaking, you don't need a sub. If he sounds like the guy that does the movie trailer voice overs you need a sub.

So like any Disney narration to any animation move.. Any explosion, crack of thunder, or dynamic SPL.. YES, you need a sub.. That said.. I would venture to say just in stereo.. Not HT.. I agree La Scalas might surprise you with proper amps for them.

BTW, no man in radio is like he sounds in real life with VERY VERY rare occasions..

I do know if you smoke 10 packs a day, live off of whiskey, and scream a lot.. That wild voice you admired as a kid is possible.. However, it usually does not last long into your late years... because your dead! With very few exceptions, we can't all be David Lee Roths.. Heck, I would just love to front a group like Van Halen one time in my life!!!

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice on the subs. I am not sure how to answer the "how low" and the "output" questions. I like a tight bass but the Lascalas are just missing the mark. I tried to hook up an 8" with the Lascalas and they got buried real quick. I like the idea of a seperate power amp, I'll look into your suggestions.

What do you have powering your Lascalas and more importantly how are they placed in your room. Please give as much detail as possible. I had Lascalas at the AKfest see the thread. I had a sub there but it was off. I had to show just about everyone that it was indeed off expecially a few die hard SS AK members! Lascalas can make serious bass when placed and powered properly.

Craig

LaScala's bass rolls off really early, and placement and amplifiers

(even one with a non-linear response) won't be enough to flatten their

response down to the lowest audible octave. It's 60Hz Fc is

unfortunately a characteristic of it's short and small bass horn.

Actually, if you are doing mostly low to

mid level listening you don't really need expensive subs to hear a

significant improvement.

But as some of us have found out, you quickly find the point on the volume knob where the subs get left behind.

LaScala's SPL capabilities are the trickiest part at matching them to a

subwoofer, as they can attain levels few subwoofers can. If you

prefer lower levels (like most people's music listening), your

requirements will be more reasonable.

A lot of modern music recordings contain substantial bass, as well as

it's harmonics... so I still have a difficulty understanding why

it's reproduction is considered unimportant for 2 channel.

Only if you choose all your music / movies that purposely does not

contain any bass (like those subjected to the aggressive RIAA curve)...

you may get away without a subwoofer.... but I rather aim for

20Hz to 17kHz...

ROb

PS: BTW, bass cannot be "fast" given it's speed is dictated by it's frequency... ie: 40Hz is 40 cycles per second...