CornScala project....Updated Pics 6/29!!!

jorjen

Jordan

Have you figured out yet that Rosewood ansd it's relatives are not good candidates for iron-on or contact cement? The wood is just too oily, bubbling and delam are likely. Wiping down the back with acetone or lacquer thinner doesn't really help as the wood continues to leach out oil over time. Apparently, the only reliable method is vacuum bagging, still requires the cleaning. I guess using the paper-backed variety is a way around it, but I"ve never used that stuff. The wood is so thin on that stuff I'd be afraid of sanding through it or something.

Tom

This makes me wonder what all the musical instrument makers do to get around this problem. There are a lot of Rosewood guitars out there. Mahogany has a tendency to leech out the red as well. I suppose it could depend a great deal on where the Rosewood comes from.

Jordan,

Those are looking great. Thos will be fabulous with whatever veneer you put on them. I am rather partial to the cherry, but that's just me.

Bruce

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce,

Yeah man I know, me too! I am leaning towards the Cherry with brown cloth as well.

DD,

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, you noticed I have always had a soft spot for the aesthetics of the Model 14 & Model 19.

Have not had much time to work on these lately but have made a little progress.

First, being the anal retentive sort that I am as far as the way I approach this stuff(some of you know what I mean), I decided that the exposed plywood edges on the rear of the cabinets needed to be edgebanded or they would look terrible when painted. I know, I know AR all the way, sorry.

Next, the rear panel on the back of the top section will be in two pieces. A small, permanently mounted panel on the inside rear where the Cardas Rhodmium Binding Posts will be mounted. The larger section will be removable for croosover/connection/driver access. So, here goes:

post-9114-13819297728496_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have'nt made alot of progress on the main cabinets since last post. But, as some of you may already know, I got sidetracked for a time building 300hz wood Tractrix mid horns for these cabinets. Now I am back on the main project. So, here goes.

Cabinets cross braced for resonance control...

post-9114-13819301985012_thumb.jpg

The connections from the top section(where xover will reside) to the bass cabinet will not me made directly with speaker cable or a wire jumper. I have permanently recessed Cardas Rhodmium five-way binding posts into the top panel of the bass cabinets inside the perimeter of the riser out of sight. A dual mating banana jack will be mounted into the bottom panel of the top section which will plug directly into the bass cabinet when the two sections are joined together. I will have four stainless steel pins protruding from the bottom panel of the top section, one in each corner, which will mate to corresponding holes drilled into the riser to keep the cabinets intact without undo strain on the jacks. Clean, out of sight and no wiring to clutter things up. I will have a multiple Cardas jack arrangement on the back of the top section for biwiring, biamping or triamping.

post-9114-13819301985812_thumb.jpg

Cabinet back braced, painted and foamed. It will be permanently attached to the cabinet with Gorilla Glue and screwed in place from the inside of the cabinet through holes drilled in the cleats. No fasteners visible from the outside...

post-9114-13819301986442_thumb.jpg

Primer coat on the inside of the cabinet. Foam cut for the port shelf. I was only going to foam the back, top and one side of the cabinet which is all that is really needed in this type of cabinet, but decided to do all surfaces except the bottom. I will remove as needed/if needed after some listening.

post-9114-13819301987202_thumb.jpg