Hereys

RJL

Last week I made the move and bought myself a pair of 1984 or 1985 Herey I's. I brought them home, set them up and have been enjoying them to no end. These are a replacement for Klipsch RB-5s which I've had for a couple of years and just felt like there was something missing. Worked great, but there was just something.

I joined this forum the other day and started reading some of the posts. One of the things that jumped out at me is the fact that capacitors do no age like fine wine. I tend not to listen at high volume, so I think my existing speakers are ok, however it sounds like there is a benefit to replacing the capacitors (other parts?) in the crossover network.

Accept my apologies for asking a question that has most likely been asked many times, but is there a kit or a parts list of what should be replaced in the crossover network to bring it back into specification?

Thank you,

Roy

Hey,

Look for my thread entitled "Heresy Crossover Question" where I asked questions about redoing the crossovers...

BEC can get you what you need to redo them yourself or you can go to

PartsExpress and get whatever capacitors you want ...Are you sure those

are Heresy 1's? By 1985 I thought they might have moved to the

H2's - and there were some speakers I have dubbed "frankenspeakers"

that were Heresy 1 cabinets with a Heresy 2 midrange and crossover...I

have a pair of those right now...

The designation of the crossover will determine what you will need, the

H1 crossover just had two capcitors, and they are both 2uf - the H2

crossover had 2 - 2uf caps AND a 33uf cap in the bass circuit. So

basically what you will need to do is replace the capacitors with like

uf ratings and that is all...the formers apparently do not age like the

capacitors and do not need to be replaced -

I think that is it; what it comes down to is cost to redo them, whether

you feel up to the task yourself, and what you want to pay for

capacitors - you will find a lot of opinions on the different quality

of capacitors around here, so watch out if you ask the question...the

H1.5 crossover that I just redid was pretty easy - you can see my

picture of the beast in the last page of the thread I mention above...

K

RJL

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are enjoying the Heresy's. They are little (sort of) sweethearts. I'm getting ready to move and don't have corners in my new place, so will be using Heresys there. Will be moving the Khorns to my wife's house (and my main non-work hangout)

One good thing about refreshing the caps... it is surprisingly inexpensive to return the speakers to factory spec. Factory spec sounds very good, too.

FWIW the metallized film capacitors in late Heresys probably haven't deteriorated noticeably. So they are probably working pretty much like the day they were installed. You may still want to replace them with your favorite "audiophile" brand however.

Thank you for all the positive feedback. The person who I bought the Heresy's from said they were manufactured in 1985, however the speakers all mount from inside the cabinet. A little investigative work is in order.

I'm comfortable around a soldering iron, so it sounds like it is a simple task to replace the caps. I'll open up the cabinets this weekend to check out what is inside to figure out what I need to order.

Thanks again,

Roy

Well...since they are Klipsch...there is a market for them...they are well thought of...some like them BETTER than Heresys and some like Heresys better than RB-5s...depending on price and condition...that will help you set the price...I love my Heresys but just bought a set of very clean RB-5s in Mahogany for $349 delivered...Bill

Welcome Roy!

The serial numbers should be stamped into the edges of the backs of the cabinets. The serial number information below has been posted here many times. It should enable you to identify the year of manufacture.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

If they are HIIs, the number is most likely NOT stamped anywhere. Mine also had the labels removed, so the only way I was able to date them was to pull a woofer off and, lo and behold, inside was a dated inspection sticker. They cranked out so many I am taking the inspection sticker for the actual date of manufacture. It is cloe enough for me.

The HIIs midrange horn has a cutout curve on the bottom edge to let it be mounted closer to the woofer. A 1985 model is up fro grabs in just what it has in it. They are all good, though.

Bruce

Thanks for the post. I checked the stamped serial number on the back of the cabinet and the 1st numbers are 85. My Heresy's much have been amount the last batch.

By the way, Mr. Crites sold me a new set of x-overs, haven't had a chance to install them yet, but hope to over the next couple of days.

good move on the new xovers.

when you get them in...let us know if these have k-55 and k-77 drivers or k-53 and k-79 drivers.

reason I asked is cuase you said they mounted from the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

My Heresys were made in 1985, also. They are indeed Heresys and not Heresy IIs based on the removeable back and inside mounting of the drivers, but most of the drivers are Heresy II pieces. I think you probably have similar Fanken-Heresy's that were made up at the very end to use up the Heresy cabinets before the Heresy IIs went into production. Around here you will see them refered to as Heresy 1.5s.

It would be nice if you could install the new cross-overs one at a time & report back as to whether you actually notice an improvement (not just a change).

I have six pair of Klipsch heritage speakers & I'm not dissatisfied with the sound of any of them, so I'm a bit skeptical of the "need" to immediately jump in and start replacing things.

Of course, since you've gone to new cross-overs, the comparison may not be valid.

James

I installed the crossovers and everything is going along well. I believe that I have the K77 and K55 drivers. I should have taken more careful notes, so I am not 100% certain, but pretty sure.

Mr. Crites does a nice job on the crossovers and even though the old ears are not very good I think things are a bit more detailed (heck, I'd probably say that anyway after spending the $'s).

Enjoy the Heresy's very much and enjoy reading the forum.

Roy