digital turntable?

Having a conversation with a buddy today, he mentioned having seen a reference to a digital turntable. It had us scratching our heads wondering about what is a digital turntable.

This may show a lack of current knowledge in my ignorance, but I am curious.

Anyone familiar with the term?

Does it refer to a somewhat conventional turntable, with perhaps a digitally controlled motor or such?

Is it a DJ CDPlayer or some such?

Any help is appreciated.

Ignorance is bliss, usually.

that thing is neet! However I disagree with the statement that the separate click and pop remover product is "first time ever". This sort of product to remove impulse noise was around before, in the late 70s early 80s. I remember reading a review of one in Stereo Review.

You may also be thinking about DJ CD players like this one

http://www.pioneerprodj.com/ that allow you to manually spin the CD thru a big dial thingy like you would an LP. It is of course all done digitally.

Efzauner, your memory is good. In the late 70's DBX and Phase Linear both made these type of products. I had a Phase Linear 1000 II, purcahsed in 1980. Had a compander function for recording and an "autocorrelator that removed record surface noise and pops & clicks. It worked as advertised, but as my system became more high resolution, I noticed it's affect on the music. Needless to say it's gone now.

that thing is neet! However I disagree with the statement that the separate click and pop remover product is "first time ever". This sort of product to remove impulse noise was around before, in the late 70s early 80s. I remember reading a review of one in Stereo Review.

Ahhhhh, the good old SAE 5000A Impulse Noise Reduction System. They sold thousands of em' from the DAK catalog for about $150.

I still have mine in near-mint shape (stored in the basement).

Richard (it won't let me write d-*-c-k) Burwen, had a click and pop machine out that was a cut above the SAE, it reduced the "wow" effect the SAE tended to produce when cutting a pop or click. that was pretty high-end...my SAE 5000a is still being used by my dad (quite happily) in his system.

I also remember seeing a web site where a guy had written a program, to play LPs simply from b&w scans. that was cool, unfortunatley I lost the link. he was german if I remember correctly.

tony

This thing has been around (on & off) for almost as long as CD has been around, seems to get revived every so often. It's never lived up to its promise as far as I know. Bart pretty much hit it on the head.

I could be way off base here, but my notion of a "Digital Turntable" is a device that is used by club DJs to play CDs and DVDs that allows the user to interject their own brand of audio and visual effects on the disc being played such as special cue-points, scratching, scrubbing, strobing, etc. CD versions have been around for quite some time. The DVD models are fairly new. Products are made by many manufacturers including Pioneer:

post-10177-13819297816282_thumb.jpg

why not just listen to cd? as the articles stated they primarily were interested in archiving 78s...I also suppose that there are people out there with vinyl that is not available on CD yet...I also think it is nifty to play with technology in this way...The idea of playing LPs without a needle dragging down the groove and inevitably wearing away the record is attractive, no?

Yeh, playing vinyl without dragging a stylus on it is attractive indeed.

I can remember reading about the development of the technology in the mid-seventies as a college student. A fabulous idea, I thought.

Would love to have the opportunity to hear it.

How about this one?

Now iit's easy to convert your LP's to a disc

scooter

ION has created the worlds first USB turntable allowing you to convert your old vinyl collection directly to CD or MP3 with the included recording software. (NO SPECIAL DRIVERS NEEDED).

The ION USB turntable includes Audacity software for Mac/PC for recording as well as a trial of Bias Soundsoap 2 for cleaning and restoring vinyl.

This turntable also has line level output for connecting to any home stereo with CD or auxiliary (AUX) inputs.

This product is compatible with any software that supports USB audio input sound cards.

+

Includes:
Adjustable Pitch Belt Drive Turntable
Vinyl recording software
USB Cable
Cartridge with Stylus
45 Adapter
CD with Mac/PC recording software

+

33 1/3 and 45 RPM.
Software allows for 78 RPM conversion

+