Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

I was very seriously considering the Lindsey Buckingham, but there was some poor comments on Amazon when reading the reviews. I have always been a fan of Lindsey, and enjoy his guitar playing style. I'll pick it up on my next order when I order the Keller Williams.

BTW, Steve, I finally got the Eagles Farewell dvd and had a brief listen to a few of the songs. Without a doubt it sounds great, but I need to sit down and give it a serious listen when I get a chance.

Mike

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I forgot, I didn't mention this one and I don't think anyone else has either and it is a REALLY GOOD ONE!

Eye Candy and excellent sound quality both DD5.1 and DTS.

Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live

This is Boz Scaggs in his element, in the beautiful Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. It is a gorgeous theater and perfect for Boz to perform a signature performance of all of his best music and many other excellent selections.

Boz lines himself up with a powerful backup band of incredible musicians that are all at the top of their game. He's got Drew Zingg on lead guitar and "Zing" is fabulous, he has done many back-up sessions for the likes of Donald Fagen and many others. Two great keyboard gurus, and sax and trumpet, a great bass player, and two great female vocals.

This is a very musical DVD. Boz's music is very melodic sounding in the first place and this greatest hits selection.

Low Down, Slow Dancer, Harbor Lights, Georgia, Lido Shuffle, Runnin' Blue, Loan Me a Dime and a number of others make this DVD a must own.

I've always like Boz, since back when he was the back-up guitarist for Linda Ronstadt. (you're old if you remember that)

This is Boz as the master, he plays a great guitar himself and he sings well and his songs are excellent.

....need this one in your collection.

B0002IQI2Y.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Boz Scaggs There's a guy that just hangs right in there, doesn't get the airplay he's due, good song writer, great all around talent, nice job, Steve.

So, I'm here so I'll do this one for Ya................

Johnny Winter ; Live in Times Square..........DVD....

This is from August, 2003 Johnny playing at the B.B.King Blues Club in New York City. To start off let me say, I was very disappointed at the fact that Johnny sits although this disc, mind you he had hip replacment before this show, and having said that, this is fine, please sit, because a sitting Johnny Winter is still better than most guys that stand. I am always looking for the Johnny that rocked(you guys know what I mean), but this is Johnny the Blues Man. I think most of this material is from his last couple of albums which is Blues. Good set, nice solid band behind him, really like James Montgomery on vocals and harp. Not sorry I own it, there isn't much Johnny to be had on video, a good solid set of blues, by one of the Master's, worth a watch and listen.

Some good stuff, guys! Yep, the Steely Dan Gaucho on DVD-A is a great recording. Out of Time sounds phenomenal on that one! I have the MFSL version of Aja on CD, and it was one of the first and one of the best in my opinion.

Oh man, do I love Boz Scaggs! Another underappreciated singer/songwriter, except for those of us who know better. That one for sure is a keeper. It's probably the same session that was on HDNET a little while back and it's worth a listen.

Mike

I'm glad that Mike brought this thread back up so-to-speak. I've been meaning to resurrect the old original thread in order to update the list that I started compiling some 3 years ago. So......

Once again I'll make the offer to email you the M$ Excel spreadsheet that I have compiled over the last 3 years from recommendations here and those I've discovered. It's too bad there's not a way (that I know of) to post such a list that is easily updated/edited/sorted.

To get your very own personal copy, send your request to:

tom (dot) adams (dot) iii -at- gulfstream (dot) com

Hope this is helpful for you guys.

Tom

I'll shoot you an email Tom!

Well... it has been 3 weeks (mailed on the 31st) and I am still waiting on the Heart, Lucinda Williams and Richard Thompson.

So, while I'm waiting I just ordered

Lindsey Buckingham - Soundstage
Keller Williams - Sight
Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live

In the meantime I have only had a chance to listen to a few of the dvd's. I have listened to the entire Eagles Farewell 1 dvd, and it is indeed excellent! Is it as good as the HFO recording? Well that's hard to say, but it is outstanding, nonetheless!

Can't wait to get the 3 mentioned above, as I am a big Boz Scaggs fan, as well as a Lindsey Buckingham fan. And the Keller Williams is just plain intriguing. I am a big Michael Hedges fan and they said there are some similarities, so we will see.

Good stuff, guys!

Mike

Depeche Mode - Devotional. Great sounding/great concert.

Oh... YES - Accoustic. Done in a studio, live, with a tiny group as an audience. It's pretty short if I remember but crazy good sound. But you just want to say.. Steve... come on dude - eat a hamburger or something.

But you just want to say.. Steve... come on dude - eat a hamburger or something.

LMAO! Yeah, he's pretty anemic! I am a huge Yes fan (seen 'em 3 times) and will pick this one up. I know very little about Depeche Mode, but you are not the first to mention them in this thread.

Mike

oldbuckster, I'm interested in hearing a review of that one as well. I ordered it yesterday from DeepDiscountDVD and just got an email that my order had shipped. With the sale discount it was only $4.79

James

It's an awesome disc, I've had it for awhile. Great story line, some fine musical performances, great sound, and to be honest, I just love the music, and that's kinda what I grew up with before I met Mr. Hendrix, Clapton, and some young band, Led Zeppelin, or something like that. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you, the same thing I told Mike, I know you won't sell it to me, but you never know.....................Another choice for you guys; Lighting in a Bottle, sorta like the birth of the Blues from the begining, on the slave ships, and it's progression to now. Full of guest appearences, alot of surprises, and of course great Music.

I just ordered Tom Petty; High Grass Dogs, after reading what you guys had to say, I'll give it a shot, got to like Tom. Also the Black Crowes, Freak and Roll. Now there's a group I figured would be Bigtime bye now, always liked them, Shake Your Moneymaker was great stuff, but they seem to flounder around too much, but like the "raw" sound of their music.

Music; the Soundtrack of Life......God I love it!!!..........

Just watched High Grass Dogs; Tom Petty, you guys were right, it's pretty damn good, good sound, good picture, liked some songs better than others, few songs missing, could have been longer, would like to see footage that didn't make disc, but it's a good look at Tom, and songs scanning his career. Tom is a very lucky guy to have Mike Campbell on Guitars, fine,fine player, just right for Tom and Band. Make no mistake about it, the Heartbreakers are a fine Rock Band, perfect group of guys to play with Mr. Petty......High Grass Dogs....INDEED........................

Phil Collins "Serious Hits Live". The best DD 5.1 only, sound i've heard. Meaning there isn't a DTS track.

Hmmm... have you heard the Roger Waters "In the Flesh" dvd? How about James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater"? These are DD 5.1's only and they are the best I have heard. If you have, and the Phil is better then it must be pretty good.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hey Oldbuckster, I'm just kinda bumping this thread so we don't lose it, but if you liked Tom Petty HGD, you really gotta check out the TP Soundstage concert. I have them both and I like Soundstage even better. Better audio and video, and a different but excellent play list.

They're both excellent, but I think the Soundstage concert is a bit newer and perhaps they had a bit more experience (or were more focused) with the sound engineering.

They are such a great group with such fabulous musicians!

PS I recetnly received the Steve Miller 30th Anniversary set. I'll be writing that up here soon.

Phil Collins "Serious Hits Live". The best DD 5.1 only, sound i've heard. Meaning there isn't a DTS track.

Hmmm... have you heard the Roger Waters "In the Flesh" dvd? How about James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater"? These are DD 5.1's only and they are the best I have heard. If you have, and the Phil is better then it must be pretty good.

Mike

Mike,

I own both. It is better than Beacon & equal to "in the flesh".

John