Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle: 30th Anniversary Special Limited Edition

Fly Like an Eagle is one of Steve Miller's biggest albums. It was an instant 4 million in sales gold record when it came out 30 years ago. It had AM and FM airplay all at the same time.

I'm old enough to remember Steve Miller when he was cult, underground FM status. Although his music become more mainstream over the years it has always been excellent. If you go to a Steve Miller concert you find yourself saying.."oh yeah.. he did wrote that too, I forgot he did that". He's that kind of artist that has been writing and performing and making great music for a long, long time.

Here, he has taken his classic Fly Like and Eagle and done a fabulous job remastering it. Here's what you get in the package.

Two Disc set:

Remastered Fly Like an Eagle CD

Fly Like an Eagle DVD that includes

Doumentary footage and interview of Steve Miller (great stuff)

5.1 Digital Dolby Remastered Fly Like an Eagle

30th Anniversary Concert live from San Francisco Sept 2005

The live concert includes most if not all of the Fly Like an Eagle hits and is also studded with some surprise stars, including vilinist virtuoso Carlos Reyes and piano star Mark Gasser. Additional surprise guest stars include George Thorogood and then Joe Satriani.

Even if you don't dig Steve Miller, this DVD concert is worth the money to see Satriani jam on Crossroads with Steve Miller and company.

Audio quality: 8.5 out of 10. This isn't HFO and it isn't DTS but the DD5.1 is very good.

Video Quality: 8.0 the color is over saturated due to the difficulty encountered with live concert lighting.

PS the 5.1DD Fly Like and Eagle album sound is a 9.9, really excellent, lot's of work went into it. No DTS track, but it doesn't detract from the superb sound.

Did I mention this whole package costs $19.95

Hey Steve baby!! You rock!!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phil Collins "Serious Hits Live". The best DD 5.1 only, sound i've heard. Meaning there isn't a DTS track.

Hmmm... have you heard the Roger Waters "In the Flesh" dvd? How about James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater"? These are DD 5.1's only and they are the best I have heard. If you have, and the Phil is better then it must be pretty good.

Mike

Mike,

I own both. It is better than Beacon & equal to "in the flesh".

John

Good to know... I'll check it out. Lately, I've gotten back into vinyl since my TD-124 purchase and have been paying for it ever since. [:D]

Mike

Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle: 30th Anniversary Special Limited Edition

Fly Like an Eagle is one of Steve Miller's biggest albums. It was an instant 4 million in sales gold record when it came out 30 years ago. It had AM and FM airplay all at the same time.

I'm old enough to remember Steve Miller when he was cult, underground FM status. Although his music become more mainstream over the years it has always been excellent. If you go to a Steve Miller concert you find yourself saying.."oh yeah.. he did wrote that too, I forgot he did that". He's that kind of artist that has been writing and performing and making great music for a long, long time.

Here, he has taken his classic Fly Like and Eagle and done a fabulous job remastering it. Here's what you get in the package.

Two Disc set:

Remastered Fly Like an Eagle CD

Fly Like an Eagle DVD that includes

Doumentary footage and interview of Steve Miller (great stuff)

5.1 Digital Dolby Remastered Fly Like an Eagle

30th Anniversary Concert live from San Francisco Sept 2005

The live concert includes most if not all of the Fly Like an Eagle hits and is also studded with some surprise stars, including vilinist virtuoso Carlos Reyes and piano star Mark Gasser. Additional surprise guest stars include George Thorogood and then Joe Satriani.

Even if you don't dig Steve Miller, this DVD concert is worth the money to see Satriani jam on Crossroads with Steve Miller and company.

Audio quality: 8.5 out of 10. This isn't HFO and it isn't DTS but the DD5.1 is very good.

Video Quality: 8.0 the color is over saturated due to the difficulty encountered with live concert lighting.

PS the 5.1DD Fly Like and Eagle album sound is a 9.9, really excellent, lot's of work went into it. No DTS track, but it doesn't detract from the superb sound.

Did I mention this whole package costs $19.95

Hey Steve baby!! You rock!!

Steve,

Nice writeup! Yeah, I was a jr in HS when that album came out, and it was a staple in my small 8-track collection at the time. Suffice it to say I wore that 8-track out. [:D]

While stationed in Germany I got it on vinyl as well, and it too received a lot of play... as did Book of Dreams. I'll definitely pick this one up when I see it.

Thanks,

Mike

I never tried Netflix, but you're right, they don't have it. Might be as it is listed as a CD/DVD set. I dunno..

But, Amazon has it! [:D]

If you're not a big Steve Miller fan, and you have some other priorities I can understand why it might be a "maybe" for you. But, put it on your "gonna get sometime" list, because it is worth it if you like classic rock and also some great guitar blues.

• 1 month later...

It's September so I went to town. We are a long way out ya know. Been listening to this since last night. This is better than I thought it would be. The Joe Walsh and ZZ Top segments were great.

Crossroads Guitar Festival

Even Big old Vince Gill is good......James Taylor is good......There's only one or two I don't like....well worth the price ........... Old EC isn't too shabby either......and who else to close that show....the Big Little Band from Texas.....Z Z TOP.........that's who !!!!.....

It's September so I went to town. We are a long way out ya know. Been listening to this since last night. This is better than I thought it would be. The Joe Walsh and ZZ Top segments were great.

Even Big old Vince Gill is good......James Taylor is good......There's only one or two I don't like....well worth the price ........... Old EC isn't too shabby either......and who else to close that show....the Big Little Band from Texas.....Z Z TOP.........that's who !!!!.....

It's a really great DVD. Some great moments on it. Of course you gotta love Joe Walsh, but there are just so many great musicians. David Hildago from Los Lobos does a super job, JJ Cale!!, Carlos Santana, Robert Randolf, ...lotta great music!

Still, my favorite Eric Clapton DVD is still One More Car One More Driver. That just has all things Clapton at his very best.

• Moderators

Almost forgot, I remember about a year ago I read about Animusic, and forgot about it.

A few weeks ago I found it booked marked and read about it again, ordered and just listened yesterday.

It's Animusic 2, the picture is great but the very different from anything else but the music is really good, I did not expect to like the music as much as I do.

The all digitally created music really shows off the range of what a speaker can do. It was better than expected, although not really a concert, even a different category than Blue Man Group .

One more car is better than Live in Hyde park or Sessions for Robert J, although Sessions is blues and much older songs. IMHO

One More Car.........Is MR. CLAPTON's overview of his Great Career.........Wonderful Set with a bunch of Old Comfortable Friends helping Eric through his Journey........the first couple of times I watched it I didn't really care for it, then early one morning, it slapped me in the face, and I realized just how good it is............Speaking just for myself, It is an Honor to be able to follow Eric's up and down career, to have such a performer alive in my lifetime is Gift, a lifetime of Eric's Music......A Legend at 17, and still today A better musician, his vocals have be come so much better, He's done it all, and still stands alone in his Blues Guitar skills.............Live In Hyde Park was a great show......BADGE sticks out for me, have never seen a better version of that song.........Session for Robert Johnson, I don't know never seen it...............Eric Clapton a big figure in Rock History........an old trusted friend, a legend, a guitar players Guitar Player...........Not bad for an old Yardbird..................Nah, I don't like him!!!!..............

:) Does this mean I'm the only one in the world that doesn't like Clapton and think he's overrated? This has always puzzled me.

NO,.....Maybe you just don't like him, that's possible........I like him better now, than I ever have........Music is different things to different people.......that's what is so great about it....Sly Stone said it best......"Different Strokes for Different Folks"...........

Here's a DVD for you; U2 go Home....Live from Slane Castle....Ireland

Forget all the U2 material out there, there's is only a few that matter; Rattle and Hum, that is a must have, great look at a young band on the rise, really a primer for later works, then the CD's ; WAR, and the Joshua Tree, I am probably missing an album or two, then this Video........U2 stripped down to a basic 4 piece band, and they are a Rock Band, this disc will bear that out. Great Show. Great Songs, a home town audience, and a Rock Band just playing their music.........No big stage show, not alot of lights, just four guys playing their songs for their Tribe......Well worth the money for this disc......U2 aren't for everyone.but ..this is worth a look and listen......

I too enjoy the heck out of this DVD. Probably have watched it 5 times and every time I watch it I see or hear something I didn't see or hear before. And Vince Gill.....sheesh, guess I've had my head in the sand for I sure didn't realize he could play like that.

Tom