Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

ATTENTION: Just a friendly reminder that I'm still keeping my Excel spreadsheet updated to the various recommendations that are posted here. I've also tried to be mindful of recommendations posted in other forums, but can't guarantee I've got all of them. Anyhow.......

Again - a PM to me will have my spreadsheet sent to you FOR FREE!! How about that?? [:)]

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATTENTION: Just a friendly reminder that I'm still keeping my Excel spreadsheet updated to the various recommendations that are posted here. I've also tried to be mindful of recommendations posted in other forums, but can't guarantee I've got all of them. Anyhow.......

Again - a PM to me will have my spreadsheet sent to you FOR FREE!! How about that?? [:)]

That Clapton Guitar Festival is just a great show..........Vince Gill, I don't like Vince but I tell you what ,he plays that guitar, both songs are good........Jonnie Laing is good, too.......and what do you think of Steve Vai......outstanding.....Joe Walsh, nice sneakers Joe.....Money well spent..........Wish Jeff Beck would allow his footage to be shown....come on Jeff......

well here's a couple more DVD's for your list;

Blind Faith live 1969 Hyde Park........must have for Rock Collection...stereo.... not 5.1

Lightning in a Bottle..........the Birth of the Blues......various artists perform.....alot of surprises..........a good DVD to own......5.1..........

hi folks,

Eric Clapton, One more car, One more rider is friggin awesome,sound and video, great use of center channel in DTS and DD. I think its better than Hell freezes over.

Some other notables of mine are

Eagles, Hell Freezes Over

Eagles, Farewell1 tour, great sound and video and fantastic content and almost 3 hours long.

FleetwoodMac The Dance

AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip Tour, amazing sound in DD and DTS

Have about 30 others too but for sound quality the are no where near these.

:) Does this mean I'm the only one in the world that doesn't like Clapton and think he's overrated? This has always puzzled me.

I've seen him twice and almost fell asleep both times. Not to say that I don't like his music but maybe I caught him on a couple of bad nights. Personally, I always preferred Jeff Beck.

BTW, had forgotten about this thread. Will have to look into the Clapton Crossroads and a couple of other mentions. First, I need to get a new DVD player as mine died last week. Might not be playing anything for a while until I do. [:(]

Mike

Mike - I hear ya. I just never understood what people liked about his guitar playing cuz to me it's always been standard fare - nothing unique or interesting. I mean, even for simplistic/pretty type playing - there's so many more out there that can do it with such feeling and Clapton leaves me with basically zilch even in that area. IMO, there's a zillion players far more talented in many ways. Jeff Beck being one. IMHO.

Mike - I hear ya. I just never understood what people liked about his guitar playing cuz to me it's always been standard fare - nothing unique or interesting. I mean, even for simplistic/pretty type playing - there's so many more out there that can do it with such feeling and Clapton leaves me with basically zilch even in that area. IMO, there's a zillion players far more talented in many ways. Jeff Beck being one. IMHO.

No doubt... the most unemotional guitarist I have ever seen. I'm not even sure if he blinked during the show. [:P]

Mike

I think there were a number of years where Clapton was distant and less than fully engaged. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't his biggest fan back then either.. late 70s and 80s I'm talking about, maybe even early 90s.

But, I think Clapton is one of those guys that has come of age, and changed significantly in his later years. He is very engaged these days and has been over the past few years. He is never going to be a Stevie Ray, but he is a sophisticated guitarist and is putting out superb stuff.

I know Beck is a pyro-technic, but it's just fast technical guitar playing that to me, lacks soul. Just my take from my last live performance of Beck I attended in Boston maybe in 2001 or some such. It was the 30th anniversary of his Blow-by-Blow album. Has he done anything worth mentioning since? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think we're on different planets.

If you want dislike EC and compare him to SRV I might see some of that,... even though I think they are both superb but just diffeent styles. Maybe that's what it is with Beck too.. he's a different style, but one doesn't negate the other.

Watch EC in One More Car One More Rider, or his Guitar Festival concert and tell me he isn't engaged.

At least that's my opinion.

Well something tells me I just got drawn into this ; Jeff Beck first, his style is not for everyone, Blow by Blow , Wired are very jazz based and not really rock, his best albums had Bob Tench singing lead for him, Cozy Powell on drums, Max Middleton on keyboards, and Clive Chaman on Bass, Rough and Ready, and the White album, give those babies a listen...........He is not a very warm fellow, hard man, and the difference between him and Clapton..........Eric is Good, Jeff Tells you he's Good............Now on to Mr. Clapton.....the 60's,70's, 80's didn't buy into to Clapton is God, he was good but not great, didn't really care for him, but I find the older I get the more I love the Man. Once I grasped the fact that he is a BLUES player, it dawned on me just how good he is. I think his guitar playing has gotten better, maybe smoother, no maybe effortless, no one runs that neck the way Eric does, and his voice, it so much stronger, so well suited to sing the blues, what's not to like. 40+ years of being a legend, every new DVD he is better, Guitar Festival what was lacking in his performance, with JJ Cale, he was good, he's always good, One more Car, One more Rider, excellent Guitar Skills, acoustic or Electric, a great set of songs covering his career, Live at Hyde Park, my god what does he need to do..........NOTHING...I thank my lucky stars that I been lucky enough to live during his career, from start to hopefully it's finish............One last comment........................................

Jeff Beck.....Jimmy Page....Eric Clapton...not bad for old YARDBIRDS.......EH !!!!!

OK - If I see him on TV again, I won't turn it off. How's that? :) I guess it's just 'tired' and perpetually uninspiring to me when there's so much interesting stuff going on out there. Just seems to be in the 'Bruce Springsteen section' of classic rock. I'll shut up now.

What are You talking about? Forgive me I'm a little slow on the draw sometimes.......... I have never been a Bruce fan.....he's OK, but............Now I'll be a jerk here, How come you post once or twice, win the prize, and don't post again???? Hate me yet???

I can't answer such a question - at least without tons of time & thought..... I'm concentrating on making killer homemade pizza! I'm just saying I don't get the Eric Clapton love. :)

Hows your Pizza.......pretty good I bet..............The Clapton love, for me anyway, has to do with the fact that he's a performer I've known about all my musical life, a star at 17, did really like him at first, of course I liked Cream, and Blind Faith, didn't much care for Derek and the Dominos, and the beginning of his solo career, it just wasn't there, I longed for him to do a Rock and Roll album, flat out and kick ***, it never happened, it will never happen because that's not what Eric does, the Blues is his cup of tea, and the sooner I learned that lesson the sooner I could then get on with becoming a Clapton Fan no Believer is more like it. Eric has had some very bad personal tragedys in his life, a bad habit or two, to go along with a broken heart or two........Listen to Layla, the whole album is about a broken heart, the blues.....Eric and Duane just riffin' away, God it's beautiful....I was so wrong about Clapton......Somewhere in the 90's Eric became comfortable with himself and it can be felt in his music, and when that happened Eric moved to the front of the line.....There isn't a more versatile performer on the stage today...One More Car..One More Driver...what more do you want......Cream Reunion, my God, not many can stand on the same stage with Eric Clapton............Clapton Unplugged, how much more do you need......Well that's my story, give him a fair listen, and let the chips fall where they may. Not saying he's the Best.......there is no one Best.......He's one of them though..........

Pizza done yet ???????Pepperoni....Yes......

I can't answer such a question - at least without tons of time & thought..... I'm concentrating on making killer homemade pizza! I'm just saying I don't get the Eric Clapton love. :)

Nothing wrong with not liking Clapton if it's not your style. I know people who can't stand SRV's playing and countless others I enjoy. If you don't like something you don't like something. [;)]

Nothing wrong with not liking Clapton if it's not your style. I know people who can't stand SRV's playing and countless others I enjoy. If you don't like something you don't like something. [;)]

I fully agree, which was why I asked who meagain did like, because I'm thinking he's got some awesome guitar players up his sleeve and I'm dying to discover more.

Usually when I find that a whole bunch of people really really like someone, and I don't seem to get it, I try to give another listen, figuring that maybe I'm not hearing or seeing something that they are all seeing. I was like that with Stevie Ray, and now I love him.

The one guy that people rave about, that I still don't get.. and he's been acclaimed a genius over and over again, is Thelonious Monk. I admit it. I don't get Monk, and I love jazz.. but I just don't get Monk.

I think there was a long period of time where EC was just "mailing it in".. talented but not engaged, and also not working to his best material. But as Oldbucky pointed out, he has changed, evolved and come of age and he certainly isn't mailing it in anymore He is there, and he is giving back to the art in many ways, promoting up and coming new stars like Robert Randolf and Johnny Lang and educating us on past genius and paying tribute to folks like Robert Johnson.

EC is the man.

To each his own.

(As a side note, I was watching and listening to Tom Petty's Soundstage DVD this afternoon.. Mike Campbell is one fabulous guitar player. He's awesome!! and will give anyone a run for their money. Check him out.)

Mike Campbell's phrasing is one of the best i've ever heard. Never gives more than the song needs, and gives a hundred and ten percent when it's needed. Check out the soundtrack to "Rush" that is one of my favorite Clapton solo albums and its mainly guitar work pretty much ( INCREDIBLE). There is some singing on some tunes.